The Student Room Group

Which university courses have the highest workload?

So yh the title's pretty self explanatory. Which courses require the most amount of time dedicated to the course to get a good (2.1) mark. It includes, lectures, out of lecture study, worksheets, lab reports, coursework etc, etc. Medicine, dentistry, maths, engineering, physics, english, politics, economics?...which one? (these are just suggestions you can suggest any course of course :tongue:)

I know medics are supposed to dedicate the most time, but for some reason they have the time to go on the piss more regularly than anyone else as the biggest party animals...:eyeball:

Discuss!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Has to be aeronautical engineering. Kudos to anyone that does it...
Reply 2
Medics prove the 'work hard, play hard' rule.

In terms of amount of time comitted to the course it's going to vary between individuals but on the face of it I think Medics must be somewhere at the top of the list.
Reply 3
Law.
Reply 4
PBL medical courses don't really have that much time 'in' university- although you're expected to work all the time
Law is pretty intense too from what I hear.
Reply 6
Law - but it depends how you approach the subject - i.e. there are short cuts
Reply 7
Original post by Elwyn
Medics prove the 'work hard, play hard' rule.

In terms of amount of time comitted to the course it's going to vary between individuals but on the face of it I think Medics must be somewhere at the top of the list.

Really? I thought medics just party and slack off, and then end up having to work loads right before the exams..

The workload of a pre-clinical medic hardly compares to most engineering disciplines..
Computer science guys seem to get a hard time of it from what I've seen
Reply 9
Original post by Xarren
Really? I thought medics just party and slack off, and then end up having to work loads right before the exams..

The workload of a pre-clinical medic hardly compares to most engineering disciplines..

I'm in 9-5 most days and 8-6 on placement days, but outside of uni I do hardly anything so I suppose you're right.
Reply 10
Actually, architects. They have 7 years, and seem to be having to work constantly
With architecture and aeronautical all my friends that haven't worked for 80% of their waking hours (And that's a lot of hours when they should be asleep spent awake working) have failed
Reply 11
Original post by tehforum
Law.

are you serious!? My friends are obviously slackers. But they get away with it, which you don't seem to be able to do in engineering (So many people at Bristol get kicked off the course, especially Aeronautical)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by redferry
are you serious!? MY friends are obviously slackers. But they get away with it, which you don't seem to be able to do in engineering (So many people at Bristol get kicked off the course, especially Aeronautical)

It is a high workload, if you actually do the required reading.
Reply 13
Original post by tehforum
It is a high workload, if you actually do the required reading.

So does my course this year, who would have thought it -_- I mean what kind of science course has a million hours of reading? Oh well at least it is interesting.

From the evidence I have seen you can pass Law without doing all the required reading though?

Wheras with engineering etc it is very easy to fail from what I have seen.
Reply 14
I'm a Comp Sci fresher and I have waaay more timetabled hours than any of my 9 flatmates, including Law, Maths and English... get a lot of assignment work too, plus I've got 4 exams and everyone else seems to have 1/2 :frown: That's only first year though, I'm not trying to say I have the most work by any means - just feels like it sometimes!
Reply 15
Original post by redferry
Has to be aeronautical engineering. Kudos to anyone that does it...

Is the workload that bad and it is more compared to other engineering courses?
Reply 16
Medicine & Engineering has to come top, I think.

Simply because of the times they spend in the lab especially.
Engineering is definitely one of them.

i have a 4 hour lecture every monday morning : |
Chemistry is definitely up there.

I had 9-5 labs and lectures everyday last year and lab reports, tutorials, journal reading to do at home on top of that.
Reply 19
Original post by Freiheit
Is the workload that bad and it is more compared to other engineering courses?

In First year on my floor there were two civils, one mech, one electrical and two aeronautical engineers.
Both aeronautical engineers failed their first year, despite one of them working pretty hard (as hard as the civils, mechs and electronics at least). He re-sat the year last year and still only just got a 2:1, despite having done it all before. To me their workload seems a lot higher and a lot more seem to fail. It has a much higher dropout and failure rate then the others, at Bristol at least.

Latest

Trending

Trending