The Student Room Group

Is English Literature A-Level worth it?

Hi! I'm thinking of doing Law at uni, and I'm down to one of three option sets for my A-Levels:

History, Sociology and Psychology
History, Sociology and English Lit
History, English Lit and Psychology.

I've been advised against English Lit by my older siblings, but would is it viewed as a more favourable A-level by universities? Or does that not matter since I will do essay-based subjects? For what it's worth, I'm predicted an 8 in both Sociology and English Lit at GCSE.
Original post by username6525570
Hi! I'm thinking of doing Law at uni, and I'm down to one of three option sets for my A-Levels:

I've been advised against English Lit by my older siblings, but would is it viewed as a more favourable A-level by universities? Or does that not matter since I will do essay-based subjects? For what it's worth, I'm predicted an 8 in both Sociology and English Lit at GCSE.

Hey I think it’s fair that your older siblings advised you against taking lit. Not taking it would not be frowned upon by unis. My friend got a 9 for GCSE lit and A* predicted for A levels but she ended up getting a B (1 mark away from an A). The grading is harsher than ever and even if you particularly enjoy the subject now it gets more demanding at A levels (coursework, 40+ poems, novel analysis etc)
Reply 2
Original post by username6525570

Hi, I'm doing the English Lit A-level (predicted A*) right now having achieved a 9 at GCSE level.
If you enjoy it at GCSE level, you will enjoy it as an A-level. There is not a huge difference between English Lit at GCSE and at A-level. Of my A-levels, I think English Lit has the smallest workload - it feels like half an A-level.
People often assume that the workload is vast for English Lit, but it really isn't bad at all if you are able to stay organised.
As was mentioned above, the grade boundaries are relatively high, but if you are comfortable with GCSE grade boundaries, you will not struggle with those of A-levels.
English Lit and History are generally considered to be the most traditional A-level written subjects and are thereby most competitive in applications, particularly for a Law application. However, you are not obligated to study any particular A-levels for most Law courses, and studying history will always suffice.
Ultimately, the choice of your subjects should be your decision, but I'd strongly reccommend doing subjects that you think you will enjoy studying most - you'll succeed in these. There are many rumours surrounding the study of subjects; it's best to compare course's specifications to decide upon what you will prefer to study in the next two years.

I'm also doing the History A-level (predicted A*) having achieved a 9 at GCSE level, so feel free to ask about that as well.
Reply 3
I would do what you enjoy most but think it weakens your GCSES doing both sociology and psychology. If it was me I would do English and drop one of the 'ology's'. English Lit is far more impressive and employers like both English and Maths GCSE's.
Reply 4
English Lit is tough and you need to stay on top of your classwork, texts and coursework at all times. One could argue that it’s an endurance subject simply due to the amount of writing and the length of the exams (2hr 30 - 3hr).

However, it is so incredibly enriching and enjoyable if you have a passion for literature and writing.

Some of the texts I’ve read so far in Sixth Form have stayed with me, and I enjoy re-reading many of them.

Most universities don’t have a preferred A-Level subject for law, and even those that do have a wide range of subjects. As long as it’s not Physical Education, art etc, just do what you enjoy so you can get the highest grades. Employers, though, do tend to like to see an impressive academic record featuring English and maths, but even so, a 1st in University will make them largely ignore the rest of it!

History and politics are also great options.

Personally, I would say go for it as I did, but many people do not enjoy English Literature at all. Choose what you enjoy and what you’ll excel in, and don’t be afraid to ask the teachers!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest