The Student Room Group

what is better - getting an E in an a-level or withdrawing from it?

I want to resit one of my A-levels and apply to university next year. Is it better to withdraw now so I apply with AA achieved and Predicted grade for this A-level, or apply with AAE achieved and Predicted grade for this A-level?

My teachers said if I withdraw now, universities will have doubts about giving me an offer as they might think I'm a quitter, but I think that applying with an E achieved, even if I'm resitting it and have a new predicted grade will look worse as they will be hesitant to believe it if I did so bad the first time.
Reply 1
Original post by BubblEye
I think depends on your target university and if you meet the requirements. If you do then I doubt they’ll care as long as you provide compelling reasons for mitigation or why you performed badly. If you drop out you will just waste a year.

I'm going to be resitting the third A-level so I'll be 'wasting a year' either way. Just wondering if it's better to have an E the first time (and a new predicted of A/B) or no grade at all the first time (and a new predicted of A/B)
Reply 2
Original post by BubblEye
Why will you resit it if you didn’t even sit the exam in the first place?

I'll either resit it or sit it for the first time.
Which universities/courses are you thinking of applying to?

The issue isn’t likely to be that they think you’re a “quitter” but that you didn’t study 3 A levels in 2 years. If you apply with just AA then that looks on paper like you studied 2 subjects for 2 years and then a 3rd subject for 1 year - which might be an issue for universities/courses that have heavy workloads and/or require applicants to have studied 3 subjects in 2 years.

Do you have extenuating circumstances for getting such different grades across your subjects (and that mean you’re confident that you can get an A if you study for an additional year)?
Reply 4
A pass is a pass is a pass! I got BBE. The E was just as important for getting in to uni
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Which universities/courses are you thinking of applying to?

The issue isn’t likely to be that they think you’re a “quitter” but that you didn’t study 3 A levels in 2 years. If you apply with just AA then that looks on paper like you studied 2 subjects for 2 years and then a 3rd subject for 1 year - which might be an issue for universities/courses that have heavy workloads and/or require applicants to have studied 3 subjects in 2 years.

Do you have extenuating circumstances for getting such different grades across your subjects (and that mean you’re confident that you can get an A if you study for an additional year)?

The highest courses I'd probably apply to are tech degree apprenticeships or UCL IMB (I think the contextual for that is ABC). Unfortunately I don't really have any extenuating circumstances, I was just too lazy to do my coursework and study. But I'll probably have to make up a decent reason for why I didn't complete my third A-level or got an E.
Original post by NightCap
The highest courses I'd probably apply to are tech degree apprenticeships or UCL IMB (I think the contextual for that is ABC). Unfortunately I don't really have any extenuating circumstances, I was just too lazy to do my coursework and study. But I'll probably have to make up a decent reason for why I didn't complete my third A-level or got an E.

Then I would recommend that you sit the exam and see how you do. 3 full A levels with grades below what you would like doesn’t raise as many red flags as studying a partial curriculum for 2 years followed by 1 A level.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Then I would recommend that you sit the exam and see how you do. 3 full A levels with grades below what you would like doesn’t raise as many red flags as studying a partial curriculum for 2 years followed by 1 A level.

Yeah fair enough, I'd need to do some explaining either way. And if I withdraw it's more complicated to explain that I was doing 3 A-levels but dropped out at the end. I might also be able to do better than an E.

Quick Reply

Latest