The Student Room Group

Do these count as extenuating circumstances?

Scroll to see replies

Why do people always try to get credit for extenuations/mitigation? It doesn't make you appear any better, just fight it and end up where you're supposed to end up. Sure you might get the odd instance where someone's disappointed in you but surely that's better than the fake sympathy faces. If you get to uni based on grades with mitigations, that's not as good as if you've actually achieved it yourself, no matter what 'situation' you're in.
Reply 21
Speak to your Head of VI.. s/he will give you sound advice, then go to your GP/consultant (if you have one)
Reply 22
Original post by OU Student
Sorry; but this is rubbish. I had problems when I was at college, due to them not understanding my disabilities and refusing to provide me with the help I need. If I was given the help I need, I know full well that I would have passed.

If you actually read what I said, I never mentioned disabilities. I talked about people's problems, such as parents losing jobs and things of that nature. I don't think these should be used to increase results etc. Perhaps I wasn't being clear.

However, I know full well the difficulties that having a disability brings, being the older brother of a severely autistic 9 year old who is having a horrendous time at school. So get the **** off your high horse.

Also if I have offended/hurt the OP's feeling I am sorry and what I was referring to earlier wasn't actually related to her situation.
Reply 23
Original post by NR09
I agree that anorexia is a serious issue, I just don't agree that people should be allowed to use their problems in life as a way of increasing their exam results or their chances of securing a university place. As I have said, many many people have serious problems in life but don't tell unis or exam boards, they prefer to work through their problems and deal with them. That is the way I think it should be done.

Fair enough, and I can see your point of view. Thank you for putting it more considerately than some others :smile: To be fair, I did what you think should be done last year (again, serious mental health problems last year, pneaumonia and a family member passed away), and part of me wishes I hadn't. Of course I try to deal with my problembs, and I'm going to work my butt off to achieve the best I can, but anorexia generally takes years to fully recover from so it's not going to go away anytime soon :frown:
Original post by NR09
If you actually read what I said, I never mentioned disabilities. I talked about people's problems, such as parents losing jobs and things of that nature. I don't think these should be used to increase results etc. Perhaps I wasn't being clear.

However, I know full well the difficulties that having a disability brings, being the older brother of a severely autistic 9 year old who is having a horrendous time at school. So get the **** off your high horse.

Also if I have offended/hurt the OP's feeling I am sorry and what I was referring to earlier wasn't actually related to her situation.

If you read what the OP, she mentioned 2 things related to disability.:rolleyes:

You did also say:

I agree that anorexia is a serious issue, I just don't agree that people should be allowed to use their problems in life as a way of increasing their exam results or their chances of securing a university place

You've pretty much said that anorexia shouldn't be used as a reason to increase their exam results.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by NR09

Again I agree that financial situation shouldn't warrant for much, and I don't think I should really mention that as although it's extremely stressful, there are others in worse situations. The mental health malarchy is definitely having a negative affect on my schoolwork/life as a whole so I think I'll tell my teachers about my disabilities. Also, my heart goes out to your brother- other children are generally just mean whether intentionally or not.
Reply 26
Original post by Chaofan88
Fair enough, and I can see your point of view. Thank you for putting it more considerately than some others :smile: To be fair, I did what you think should be done last year (again, serious mental health problems last year, pneaumonia and a family member passed away), and part of me wishes I hadn't. Of course I try to deal with my problembs, and I'm going to work my butt off to achieve the best I can, but anorexia generally takes years to fully recover from so it's not going to go away anytime soon :frown:

Read my above post, I wasn't actually referring to disabilities or mental illness (which of course anorexia is) but just problems in life. Also sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult time recently, hope thing get/are getting better:smile:
Reply 27
Original post by NR09
Read my above post, I wasn't actually referring to disabilities or mental illness (which of course anorexia is) but just problems in life. Also sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult time recently, hope thing get/are getting better:smile:

Ah okay, just a misunderstanding thing :tongue: Thank you :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by OU Student
If you read what the OP, she mentioned 2 things related to disability.:rolleyes:

You did also say:

You've pretty much said that anorexia shouldn't be used as a reason to increase their exam results.

As I have said, I obviously wasn't being clear enough and as I also said, I DO think that anorexia is more than just the problems that was talking about.

Also don't bother quoting back because I can't be arsed arguing with you.
Reply 29
Ah okay, just a misunderstanding thing :tongue: Thank you :smile:

No worries :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by cl_steele
some schools have a resident councellor ... maybe you could speak to him/her if they have one about it or just the headmaster/mistress? theyd be able to influence your ucas form and theyre legally obliged to keep it between just you two :smile:

I'm pretty sure my school has a coucillor of some sort, I might look into that. I was in therapy for a while but my thereapist has recently lost her job so I think I'll go for a refferal at the gp surgery.

Original post by Sadsnail
Extenuating circumstances really annoy me. I'm pretty sure almost EVERYONE has some problem or another during exam periods/years

Fair enough, but to be honest not everyone's problems are equal. Last year for instance, I had pneumonia, a fever of 41/42 and kept passing out. I still came into school to take my exams but I couldn't focus at all and missed out on a large chunk of revision as I was severely ill. If it was something like a little infection, then I wouldn't raise the issue at all. During the autumn open day, I was told by an admissions tutor that it was important that I let them know about my problem due to its severity. What I mean is that some illnesses, some circumstances hinder your performance and universities should know, because these things can't simply be cured in a matter of months.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I would definitely get your school or your doctor (or a combination of the two) to contact your firm and insurance unis. This is particularly a good idea if it's Oxford. Take it from someone who knows: it's far better to be open with them about any problems you come in with/develop along the way. There is great support there if you can reach out for it :smile:

Thank you very much for your advice :smile: Oxford seemed to be pretty encouraging last year when I had pneumonia and mitigating circumstances in general, providing they deem them disruptive enought to class the situation as extenuating/exceptional. Once again, thank you!
Thank you very much for your advice :smile: Oxford seemed to be pretty encouraging last year when I had pneumonia and mitigating circumstances in general, providing they deem them disruptive enought to class the situation as extenuating/exceptional. Once again, thank you!

You're very welcome. Do ignore those telling you you're making a mountain out of a molehill: it is important to inform your firm and insurance and your exam boards about this. Anorexia is a very debilitating illness and like you have said yourself, the recovery can be quite long (and draining, no doubt) :hugs:
Reply 32
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You're very welcome. Do ignore those telling you you're making a mountain out of a molehill: it is important to inform your firm and insurance and your exam boards about this. Anorexia is a very debilitating illness and like you have said yourself, the recovery can be quite long (and draining, no doubt) :hugs:

Again, thank you for this :smile: I could inform them early this week, but that would be right before my January exams and they prbably hear a lot of fake mitigating circumstances around then. Also, I don't know if I could get my doctor's certificates by then and tell my head of sixth, so perhaps it would make more sense to leave this until February and gain the evidence I need now.
Again, thank you for this :smile: I could inform them early this week, but that would be right before my January exams and they prbably hear a lot of fake mitigating circumstances around then. Also, I don't know if I could get my doctor's certificates by then and tell my head of sixth, so perhaps it would make more sense to leave this until February and gain the evidence I need now.

Definitely do it once you've got all the evidence prepared and have told your Head of Sixth Form. Good luck! :hugs:
My dad became unemployed just before my exams (and he still is D:smile: , and it was really stressful. I don't know whether this counts though - it seems silly against some of the other peoples problems on this thread... I got AACE (at AS) - Should I state E.C or not??
Reply 35
Original post by emilyjcastles
My dad became unemployed just before my exams (and he still is D:smile: , and it was really stressful. I don't know whether this counts though - it seems silly against some of the other peoples problems on this thread... I got AACE (at AS) - Should I state E.C or not??

Hi, so I'm guessing you're at uni now, if your year thirteen went well for you? I'm in a similar position, except my mum is a single parent. My dad does give financial support but I live mostly at my mum's house. Did you state E.C, and would you recommend I do or don't? I know of people in my year with worse situations than me so I don't want to be one to make a mountain out of a molehill, I just need some advice!
Original post by sts123
Hi, so I'm guessing you're at uni now, if your year thirteen went well for you? I'm in a similar position, except my mum is a single parent. My dad does give financial support but I live mostly at my mum's house. Did you state E.C, and would you recommend I do or don't? I know of people in my year with worse situations than me so I don't want to be one to make a mountain out of a molehill, I just need some advice!

Hey! No, I am still in year 13, I go to Uni in September :smile: but no I didn't in the end, but my grades didn't actually seem to hinder me, I got an offer from Manchester, my top Uni, for AAA - so they obviously think I can do it! It's up to you, but I think Uni's take into account the fact that AS is such a big jump from GCSE anyways and therefore are more lenient - I don't think E.C. are the be all and end all :smile: Good luck, hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by emilyjcastles
Hey! No, I am still in year 13, I go to Uni in September :smile: but no I didn't in the end, but my grades didn't actually seem to hinder me, I got an offer from Manchester, my top Uni, for AAA - so they obviously think I can do it! It's up to you, but I think Uni's take into account the fact that AS is such a big jump from GCSE anyways and therefore are more lenient - I don't think E.C. are the be all and end all :smile: Good luck, hope this helps! :smile:

hehe that'd be my bad maths! thanks for replying, I think I've concluded against E.C, I've got my offers and as good a chance as anyone in meeting them if I do enough work, my mum's employment status shouldn't affect that! :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Sadsnail
Extenuating circumstances really annoy me. I'm pretty sure almost EVERYONE has some problem or another during exam periods/years

I don't think that's completely true... my dad passed away about a month ago after a year long battle with cancer. I do IB and my exams are in less than 3 months. The fact that I've had to start revising and trying to do the best I can and try and get into uni at the same time as dealing with the grief of my dad, is a little more than any other problem most people will have.
Hence why, extenuating circumstances are necessary for some people as obviously the majority of my time at college has been affected.
Reply 39
Hi,
I was just curious as to whether my dad going out to a tour of Afghanistan on the 3rd June when I have my exams on the 5th, 6th and 10th, would warrant EC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending