The Student Room Group

Is mental health a contextual reason for bad gcses when applying to oxbridge?

I am currently a Year 12 student and for my GCSEs I obtained 887766666 which is obviously not typical for Oxbridge candidates . However these were grades my teachers gave me as exams were cancelled due to the pandemic meaning they had to decide my grades based on previous in class tests and test in class post-lockdown.

During Years 9 and 10, I was going through a lot of bullying and an traumatic event occurred which killed my motivation of school and honestly life in general. Furthermore, during COVID my father caught COVID which completely stressed me out and I couldn't concentrate on my upcoming GCSEs.

However now in Year 12 I feel I have recovered from my past (and my family is doing well) so I am determined that I can achieve the grades and do super-curricular activities preferred by Oxbridge. However I am concerned that my GCSE results may destroy a chance.

Also, If I were to apply to Oxbridge I would want to go to Oxford University as I would like to study Physics. However after a little research I heard that Oxford are more strict on GCSEs. Is this true?
Original post by meowscythe
I am currently a Year 12 student and for my GCSEs I obtained 887766666 which is obviously not typical for Oxbridge candidates . However these were grades my teachers gave me as exams were cancelled due to the pandemic meaning they had to decide my grades based on previous in class tests and test in class post-lockdown.

During Years 9 and 10, I was going through a lot of bullying and an traumatic event occurred which killed my motivation of school and honestly life in general. Furthermore, during COVID my father caught COVID which completely stressed me out and I couldn't concentrate on my upcoming GCSEs.

However now in Year 12 I feel I have recovered from my past (and my family is doing well) so I am determined that I can achieve the grades and do super-curricular activities preferred by Oxbridge. However I am concerned that my GCSE results may destroy a chance.

Also, If I were to apply to Oxbridge I would want to go to Oxford University as I would like to study Physics. However after a little research I heard that Oxford are more strict on GCSEs. Is this true?

Oxford are typically more strict on GCSEs, yes. If I were you, I would contact the college you intend to apply to and ask about your specific situation.

Yes, cambridge is less strict. I'm not sure about exenuating circumstances however. I'm very sorry you had such a difficult time
Yes - they are much more stricter compared to Cambridge - although from what I'm reading that sounds horrible (and valid for extenuating circumstances due to it not just being about COVID, which everyone went through - despite being in varying levels of suffering... although the fact that it was Year 9 and 10 may be a worry - but not an expert) and I'm sorry you went through that although as I said I am not an expert as long as you have some sort of proof that it happened it should be fine? D:
Do you have any evidence of having mental health problems? Did you see CAMHS or your GP? If not, I doubt that it will count as extenuating circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
Do you have any evidence of having mental health problems? Did you see CAMHS or your GP? If not, I doubt that it will count as extenuating circumstances.

I used to go to the school councillor and the school recorded my 'episodes' on their system. Do you think this counts?
Reply 6
I used to go to the school councillor and the school recorded my 'episodes' on their system. Do you think this counts?

I would think this would be a form of evidence. This is not the kind of thing you would necessarily have consulted the GP about. The school counsellor is a paid professional. Whether it is the type of evidence Oxford would accept, I have no clue.
The counsellor may also be prepared to write to the GP to explain what you went through. You and your parents could also explain and ask for it to be recorded on your records. If a GP letter is later required then a GP may then be prepared to at least say that they were informed by the school that it had happened. This sort of letter together with a school counsellor letter (if these people feel able to be helpful) may help.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Theloniouss
Oxford are typically more strict on GCSEs, yes. If I were you, I would contact the college you intend to apply to and ask about your specific situation.

Thanks for the information and advice!

I would think not, if I'm honest. But worth asking,
I think a school Councillor would be a form of evidence, or it is at least worth a shot. On your reference, which will be sent to all your unis, make sure your refree devotes some lines to explaining the difficulties experienced as part of your gcse study. Seriously, nag on them. I didn't nag, only politely ask once - eventually my refree decided not to put them on mine and now my (below average for Oxford) gcses look even worse without the context of my curicumdtances (e.g. bullying leading me not to turn up to my maths classes and a severe traumatic event causing me to develop a panic disorder, which meant I had panic attacks multiple times a day in the months leading up to gcses). I regret not nagging.

It's your future and you didn't deserve to go through any of that. Take the initiative and do all you can to let Oxford know of your circumstances.

Also well done on your gcses. They are excellent to have achieved in the circumstances you were in :smile:
proof of the pudding would be if you do well in the entrance exam for physics- if you are well above the cut off you should get an interview. Maybe have a look at some past papers to see what they are like.
did u get an offer?
Reply 12

I asked about this at the Oxford open day as I am in a similar situation where my sixth form results were far below my predicted due to poor mental health. I mentioned this (I didn't include details I literally just said poor mental health) to an admissions person in a meet the tutors session and she said that it sounds like mitigating circumstances and to mention it on my personal statement so I reckon it would be similar for GCSE's!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending