The Student Room Group

Do I have a good/ ok shot at Oxford?

Hi there, I achieved 2 A stars and an A in English, Psychology and Biology - I was wondering if I have an ok application for experimental psychology. I did kinda bad at GCSE however, and got a 6 in maths and took 2 years out. So I'm just not sure, many thanks!
Original post by chloe62a90
Hi there, I achieved 2 A stars and an A in English, Psychology and Biology - I was wondering if I have an ok application for experimental psychology. I did kinda bad at GCSE however, and got a 6 in maths and took 2 years out. So I'm just not sure, many thanks!

Whilst your A levels do exceed the entry requirements, it does state it is strongly recommended you achieve an A/7 in GCSE maths. This doesn’t mean you have zero chance if you do apply, but it likely will count against you.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/psychology-experimental#:~:text=GCSEs%3A%20Candidates%20are%20recommended%20to,expect%20you%20to%20pass%20it

When you say you did kind of bad at GCSE, what do you mean? And how well did you perform compared to others in your year group at your school? Both of these are necessary things to consider.
(edited 7 months ago)
Yes, so I failed two GCSEs, and got a 4 in Physics. I got a 6 in Maths but these were all predicted grades and extenuating circumstances. I would also assume since its a scientifically rigorous course that they would want the A star to be in Biology but who knows. Thank you for your help! I looked at the Cambridge course but I do prefer the Oxford course and just thought why not apply.

If you have extenuating circumstances for the GCSEs, Oxford might overlook them. They're normally used to contextualise your academic achievements, so if you have a convincing reason why they're not a fair assessment, there's no reason why they'd hold it against you. It's difficult to say more without knowing about your circumstances, school, cohort, and other contextual information. Could be worth asking the university/college directly.
Reply 3

Today was the registration deadline for signing up for the admission test (TSA).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending