The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by 05keenhannah
like how to remember which stats test to use when? and the justification for using them?

xx

yeah like how do you figure out the one you're supoosed to use, with the datra given?
Reply 701
Original post by VanessaXD
For people who are struggling.......

We need to know 4 tests (obviously lol)
Mann-Whitney
Chi-Squared
Spearmans rho
Wilcoxon

You use them when.......

Mann Whitney: A test of difference, independent groups, ordinal data
Spearmans rho: Test of correlation, ordinal data
Chi-sqaured: test of association, independent groups, nominal data
Wilcoxon: tets of difference, related groups, interval data

In the exam they will give you an observed value...in order to determine whether this observed value is significant it is compared to critical values and these are given in a table for that statistical test
Before using the table you need to know whether you had a directional hypothesis (one tailed test) or a non directional hypothesis (two tailed test) and you need to know the number of participants used (N).

For the Wilcoxon test and the Mann Whitney test the OBSERVED VALUE must be EQUAL to or LESS THAN the CRITICAL VALUE for SIGNIFICANCE to be shown

For the Chi-squared test and Spearman's Rho the OBSERVED VALUE must be EQUAL to or GREATER THAN the critical value for SIGNIFICANCE to be shown.

I hope that doesn't sound confusing... its really simple to understand (:

Thanks.Whats independant groups, mathced pairsand...forogt the other one :s-smilie:
Original post by DaHogz
Thanks.Whats independant groups, mathced pairsand...forogt the other one :s-smilie:

Independent: Participants are randomly allocated to either one or other of the conditions

Repeated: The same participants are used in both conditions.

Matched : participants are matched as closely as possible with another participant and then the pairs are randomly allocated to either one or the other conditions
Reply 703
Original post by VanessaXD
Independent: Participants are randomly allocated to either one or other of the conditions

Repeated: The same participants are used in both conditions.

Matched : participants are matched as closely as possible with another participant and then the pairs are randomly allocated to either one or the other conditions

(cheers, just need someone to revise with you see cos i'm dumb..:biggrin:, just add stuff in,and tell me if i'm right or not..)

Independent: <---disadvantage - individiual differences, e.g. one group may consist of people with higher IQ in totoal, compared to the second group.

Repeated: <---disadvantage- may have order affects, they may perform better the second time round.

Matched : participants are matched as closely as possible with another participant and then the pairs are randomly allocated to either one or the other conditions <----(isnt this rong :s-smilie:)

i thought matched pairs was when there are like
4 groups:: group A, group B, group C, group D.
and 2 conditions.
wait...i'm not sure my self what i was going to say :s-smilie:
explain more please, and what the disadvantages are :colondollar:
Original post by DaHogz
(cheers, just need someone to revise with you see cos i'm dumb..:biggrin:, just add stuff in,and tell me if i'm right or not..)

Independent: <---disadvantage - individiual differences, e.g. one group may consist of people with higher IQ in totoal, compared to the second group.

Repeated: <---disadvantage- may have order affects, they may perform better the second time round.

Matched : participants are matched as closely as possible with another participant and then the pairs are randomly allocated to either one or the other conditions <----(isnt this rong :s-smilie:)

i thought matched pairs was when there are like
4 groups:: group A, group B, group C, group D.
and 2 conditions.
wait...i'm not sure my self what i was going to say :s-smilie:
explain more please, and what the disadvantages are :colondollar:

no your first explanation was right - matched pairs is when you basically "match pairs of people" - you have about two conditions to test from which is usually the experimental condition group and a control group to compare from.

Conditions A, B, C and D etc would still be independent group measures if each condition is different but you have not specifically tried to match people on similar characteristics I believe; hence they are "independent" of one another.

Repeated is simply when you use one group of people and have them try all the conditions one at a time - hence "repeated".

hope this helps? its how I remember.
GOOD NEWS!!

COMPARE & CONTRAST QUESTIONS WILL NOT BE USED:

I asked Cara Flanagan on her blog (the writer of complete companion books) and she responded yesterday with this:

"Hello

Compare and contrast questions won’t be used they were used before the specifications were revised 3 years ago but have not appeared since. They require you to consider the similarities and differences between two things, and for AO2 to evaluate these e.g. look at evidence, implications etc.

Cara"

Link:
http://www.oxfordschoolblogs.co.uk/psychcompanion/blog/community/topic/psya4-help/page/2/
Reply 706
Original post by DaHogz
yeah like how do you figure out the one you're supoosed to use, with the datra given?

I've got a weird way of remembering which test to use when.
4 sentences -

Sophie Can't Read Indexes
(Spearmans Rho) (Correlational) (Repeated measures) (Interval data)

Men Differ In Intelligence
(Mann-Whitney U) (Difference) (Independent groups) (Interval data)

Walter dives regularly In Ocean
(Wilcoxan T) (Difference) (Repeated measures) (Interval/Ordinal data)

Chris DAnces Independently Normally
(Chi squared) (Difference/Association) (Independent groups) (Nominal data)

Obviously, chop and change the words in the sentence as much as you want, but I find the more obscure the sentence the better it stays in your head. So now whenever I get a question asking me to name which test to use I just write out these four sentences and work it out from there :smile:
Hope it makes things easier to remember
Reply 707
Original post by Mephestic
GOOD NEWS!!

I asked Cara Flanagan on her blog (the writer of complete companion books) and she responded yesterday with this:

"Hello

Compare and contrast questions won’t be used they were used before the specifications were revised 3 years ago but have not appeared since. They require you to consider the similarities and differences between two things, and for AO2 to evaluate these e.g. look at evidence, implications etc.

Cara"

Link:
http://www.oxfordschoolblogs.co.uk/psychcompanion/blog/community/topic/psya4-help/page/2/

what does it mean by compare and contrast?
Reply 708
no your first explanation was right - matched pairs is when you basically "match pairs of people" - you have about two conditions to test from which is usually the experimental condition group and a control group to compare from.

Conditions A, B, C and D etc would still be independent group measures if each condition is different but you have not specifically tried to match people on similar characteristics I believe; hence they are "independent" of one another.

Repeated is simply when you use one group of people and have them try all the conditions one at a time - hence "repeated".

hope this helps? its how I remember.

Ehh, I still don;t get it :confused:
Isn't it like this.
group A and B > Group A goes to condition 1,then condition 2, group b go to condition 2, then condition 1.
group C and D> group C goes to condition 1, then condition 2, group D go to condition 2 , then condition 1..

but how do you say that in laymens terms :colondollar:
all what are the disadvantages, I know the advantage is that, order affects are less likely in this desgin.
Reply 709
GOOD NEWS!!

"Hello

Cara"

Link:

Oh thank God! Hopefully it'll be a straight forward essay question, we've got enough to think about with applying things to the other topics (media ect.) :biggrin:
Reply 710
Original post by RachelM94
I've got a weird way of remembering which test to use when.
4 sentences -

Sophie Can't Read Indexes
(Spearmans Rho) (Correlational) (Repeated measures) (Interval data)

Men Differ In Intelligence
(Mann-Whitney U) (Difference) (Independent groups) (Interval data)

Walter dives regularly In Ocean
(Wilcoxan T) (Difference) (Repeated measures) (Interval/Ordinal data)

Chris DAnces Independently Normally
(Chi squared) (Difference/Association) (Independent groups) (Nominal data)

Obviously, chop and change the words in the sentence as much as you want, but I find the more obscure the sentence the better it stays in your head. So now whenever I get a question asking me to name which test to use I just write out these four sentences and work it out from there :smile:
Hope it makes things easier to remember

Ahh thankyou, that seems like a rather interesting way of doing things. :biggrin:
But may I ask what is
'Difference/Association)?

And is nominal-where it involves groups?
ordinal- is when it has a rank
intervaal-is meeasured in numbers?
Reply 711
Does anyone have any predictions for media?
Hey, i'm currently revising for the schizophrenia topic I have two questions :P,

1. I was wondering if for the biological therapy section if anti-psychotic drugs and ECT counts as an answer, or if its just for a biological treatment kind of unsure on this :/

If not can you mention some sort of biological therapy's that can be added if there was an essay on this.

2. This follows on to my second question, can an answer for example be 'Outline and evaluate a biological therapy' or will it be more open so that you can talk about psychological, psychodynamic/ cognitive.
Original post by Alicexoxo
Does anyone have any predictions for media?

I think anti social behaviour, effects of television and attraction of a celebrity might come up (:
Reply 714
Original post by DaHogz
Ehh, I still don;t get it :confused:
Isn't it like this.
group A and B > Group A goes to condition 1,then condition 2, group b go to condition 2, then condition 1.
group C and D> group C goes to condition 1, then condition 2, group D go to condition 2 , then condition 1..

but how do you say that in laymens terms :colondollar:
all what are the disadvantages, I know the advantage is that, order affects are less likely in this desgin.

This is called counter-balancing. It's the way to get around order-effects in the repeated measures design. Matched Pairs is how a couple of people have explained it above: the researcher matches similar people and then sends them to the different conditions, hence seeing how much of an effect the IV has on the DV.
Reply 715
Original post by StitchMad
This is called counter-balancing. It's the way to get around order-effects in the repeated measures design. Matched Pairs is how a couple of people have explained it above: the researcher matches similar people and then sends them to the different conditions, hence seeing how much of an effect the IV has on the DV.

Lol,you've actually explained it well. Thankyou for clearing that!
My teachers always told me this is what matched pairs is :stupid:

Can you please go through what Wilcoxton T test basicallly means in laymens terms as well :colondollar:
Original post by salad_fingers
Sure, I meant to say how do you sample if one of the variables in the correlation was to do with the participant themselves, e.g. correlating participant age with scores on an IQ test or something similar, because obviously you need a range of different ages.

I would argue that that is more to do with experiement design.
For example matched pairs.
Reply 717
Original post by DaHogz
Lol,you've actually explained it well. Thankyou for clearing that!
My teachers always told me this is what matched pairs is :stupid:

Can you please go through what Wilcoxton T test basicallly means in laymens terms as well :colondollar:

The Wilcoxon test is used for a test of:
- Difference
- Repeated Measures
- Ordinal Data (and Interval, I think).

That's all you need to know, really! :tongue:
Reply 718
Original post by StitchMad
The Wilcoxon test is used for a test of:
- Difference
- Repeated Measures
- Ordinal Data (and Interval, I think).

That's all you need to know, really! :tongue:

But in ma book there's a whole 2 pages on this! :eek:
And please explain to me what 'difference, and associated' is. thankyou :smile:
Reply 719
Original post by DaHogz
But in ma book there's a whole 2 pages on this! :eek:
And please explain to me what 'difference, and associated' is. thankyou :smile:

Association is where you're looking to see if there's a relationship or correlation between two things. A difference is a.... difference. I'm not really sure how to explain that, haha! Perhaps someone else can help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending