The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Engineering graduate prospects manchester university

I have got offers for Aerospace Engineering from Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and QMUL, still waiting from bristol. I am confused between manchester and sheffield for my firm.

On unistats.com, the employment of aero graduates from manchester and sheffield is about the same. However only 46% of those end up in an engineering related careers compared to other universities like sheffield, strathclyde where over 70% are in engineering related careers after graduation. Is it because, manchester graduates got more offers for finance related jobs or is it because they dont get offers from engineering companies?

Secondly, according to unistats, for aerospace engineering, only 44% of engineering students at manchester get a first or 2:1, while in other unis this rate is much higher. Plus why is the student satisfaction of MACE undergrads really low according to unistats? Could any MACE students enlighten me on this? :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by DarkWave93
I have got offers for Aerospace Engineering from Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and QMUL, still waiting from bristol. I am confused between manchester and sheffield for my firm.

On unistats.com, the employment of aero graduates from manchester and sheffield is about the same. However only 46% of those end up in an engineering related careers compared to other universities like sheffield, strathclyde where over 70% are in engineering related careers after graduation. Is it because, manchester graduates got more offers for finance related jobs or is it because they dont get offers from engineering companies?

Secondly, according to unistats, for aerospace engineering, only 44% of engineering students at manchester get a first or 2:1, while in other unis this rate is much higher. Plus why is the student satisfaction of MACE undergrads really low according to unistats? Could any MACE students enlighten me on this? :smile:

Thanks

I don't know about the % of offers for Engineer:Other professions.

Also, I have not much information about Aero in specific, but there is very low satisfaction on my course too and as with most things there are areas for improvement but over the last 3-4 years they have been listening to student feedback and altering the course.

One thing which is quite common is that people find it hard and therefore complain that the teaching isn't good enough but yet when you ask them they haven't even bothered to email the lecturers or anybody about it to try and get help.
Another is that, yes, people are amazing at pure Maths and Physics and understand the pure principles but when it comes to anything else they are useless and simply don't want to know -> hence not satisfied with the course.

And again with the marking, it could be either Manc students aren't as clever or Manchester runs a harder course.. there are a lot of things which have input...

I don't really know if I've been any help or how else I could help you. When I've spoke to Aero students they seem to be happy with what they're doing?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by gummers
I don't know about the % of offers for Engineer:Other professions.

Also, I have not much information about Aero in specific, but there is very low satisfaction on my course too and as with most things there are areas for improvement but over the last 3-4 years they have been listening to student feedback and altering the course.

One thing which is quite common is that people find it hard and therefore complain that the teaching isn't good enough but yet when you ask them they haven't even bothered to email the lecturers or anybody about it to try and get help.
Another is that, yes, people are amazing at pure Maths and Physics and understand the pure principles but when it comes to anything else they are useless and simply don't want to know -> hence not satisfied with the course.

And again with the marking, it could be either Manc students aren't as clever or Manchester runs a harder course.. there are a lot of things which have input...

I don't really know if I've been any help or how else I could help you. When I've spoke to Aero students they seem to be happy with what they're doing?

Thanks for your insight, it was really helpful

I am more inclined to accept the manchester offer because I prefer its course structure. The offer from both manchester and sheffield is the same, so I guess the students are of the same aptitude so maybe its got to do with the fact that the course is tougher. Anyway, those with 2:2 from MACE are easily employed within 6 months suggested by the 86% employment rate in unistats.

Manchester uni has got some fantastic aerospace facilities and labs and does really well in RAE. Most probably, I will be firming man uni.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending