The Student Room Group

Need help with choosing a university

I had already submitted my UCAS application before the Oxbridge deadline however I still have one option open, and I am struggling to decide where I want to apply. I am wanting to do aerospace engineering and am more interested in the space than aero. I have currently applied to Bristol, Bath and Durham. Bristol was my main choice as it had close links to a lot of aerospace businesses, but I’ve been thinking more about Imperial as it ranks a lot better and I see it has a big rocket society. I’ve also been told to look at Southampton but it does not rank as high as Bristol and I can’t seem to find their rocket society. I was reluctant to apply to imperial purely because it’s based in the middle of London, and I don’t like the idea of being surrounded by a massive city, however the course is really attracting me, so I’m thinking of applying there. Am I making the right choice, or is there somewhere else I should look at?
Reply 1
Ignore rankings - they are essentially nonsense, and they can never tell you if you will like that Uni or enjoy that course.
Reply 2
Original post by maybemiro
I had already submitted my UCAS application before the Oxbridge deadline however I still have one option open, and I am struggling to decide where I want to apply. I am wanting to do aerospace engineering and am more interested in the space than aero. I have currently applied to Bristol, Bath and Durham. Bristol was my main choice as it had close links to a lot of aerospace businesses, but I’ve been thinking more about Imperial as it ranks a lot better and I see it has a big rocket society. I’ve also been told to look at Southampton but it does not rank as high as Bristol and I can’t seem to find their rocket society. I was reluctant to apply to imperial purely because it’s based in the middle of London, and I don’t like the idea of being surrounded by a massive city, however the course is really attracting me, so I’m thinking of applying there. Am I making the right choice, or is there somewhere else I should look at?

When it comes to Aerospace, Imperial is clear...I know you don't like the idea of living in a huge city like London (I don't mind it as of now but that may become something that I don't like if I meet their conditions on my offer) but Imperial not only has the advantage with graduate prospects because it's in London, but as I'm sure you are already aware, focusses entirely on STEM subjects so it's going to be good for you.

Don't look at rankings for your course - TRUST ME!! Southampton is amazing for all forms of engineering so I'd also recommend that. You've probably already applied but I wouldn't have applied to Durham in your situation. Maybe somewhere like Edinburgh or Manchester. It's just that Durham hasn't got a huge rep for applied STEM subjects ( I applied for Computer Science at Durham but in hindsight, I should have applied to Warwick instead).

I applied to Cambridge (rejection after fumbling TMUA), Imperial (offer), Durham (still waiting), Edinburgh (offer) and Manchester (offer).
Reply 3
Original post by maybemiro

The other slight issue is that at the time when you want to start revising for your A levels, I think that there is an admissions test that you have to sit for aerospace at Imperial, which is why it's better to have selected it earlier so that you could have completed your admissions test earlier (not sure if there is an interview or not). They have sent out one set of aero offers so far and many more to come!

Also, if the course interests you and looks good, 1000000000% apply there.
Note it doesn't matter whether the degree says "aerospace" or "aeronautical" engineering - it will still cover essentially the same material. The vast majority of the course will be "aero" and not "space" in all degrees of the kind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending