Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Getting up for 9am lectures

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I would KILL for 9 am lectures. On Tuesdays and Thursdays mine start at 7:15 am sharp. 9 am is a luxury.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep early. I find sleeping at 10-11pm works best, you'll wake up 6-7am sharp. If you can't go to sleep early for whatever reason, you probably have sleeping problems.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Station)
    ...unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time...
    That's the key. Set the alarm for 6.30, go to bed by 10, read a bit, turn off the lights at 10.30,
    and you'll sleep like a baby for 8 hours (which is the recommended number of hours).

In the morning you'll have enough time for internet, a relaxed breakfast, a quick workout, maybe
    even revision and preparation of the days lectures.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Problem - can't get up in the morning for lectures.
    Solution - stay up all night doing nothing then make yourself coffee at 5am.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I have my 9am lecture, its my day off the day before when I relax and get up around 10am. Depending on what I do, I usually go to bed around 1am, sometimes as late as 4. When the alarm goes off at 5am, I'm usually fine. Then its cup of tea, pick up my bags and make my way to the station for the first train of the day, at 6.

One time I was having a midweek session with my mates, last train home, so got in around 12ish, then carried on the conversations on facebook. Got to 1am, so went downstairs, I sat in front of the oven all night with my phone making cups of tea, got to 5am, got dressed again and out the house. 7 hours after, lecture done I was on another session for 10 hours but with a hotel near my Uni.

They were the days... of 3 weeks ago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's such a struggle for me! Naturally I don't wake up until about 10.30am so to force myself up at 8 just to get to a lecture that I won't take in anyway because I'm so tired is such a bitch!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 9am lectures and 2 10am lectures a week so although it's a pain getting up early I'm fairly used to it. What I don't understand though is my housemate who gets up at like 7 every day, even when she doesn't have lectures. Why??!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 9ams so I've got used to it now. It helps that as soon as I am vertical I usually wake up fairly snappy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can sleep as little or as much as I like and I find it just as difficult. For some reason its when I have been partying the night before that I find it easiest to wake up for a 9am start, but then that comes with the problem of having a hangover.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Even when I plan and go to bed early enough, I forget to account for the horrid FACT that I won't all asleep until about 2 then my flatmates will probably wake me up at about 3. TIRED. TIMES!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    used to be up to start work at 8am every day, now my sleeping pattern is so screwed a 9am lecture is a challenge - maybe because I only have one per week that is i cant sleep so early on sunday night, as usually i can go bed later, get up at half nine and still have plenty of time before classes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a 45 minute walk from halls too so 9am for me... I'm more likely to stay in bed. Factor in alcohol and there is no chance I'm making it
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSMark)
    It's just not the same though. When you're at uni your sleeping pattern is generally screwed up due to late night studying/drinking/whatever. Then when 9am comes around it's a shock.

When you're at work you're in a routine.
    Late night drinking, fine.

But late night studying? Thats a mugs game. Every hour you spend studying past 10pm, your probability of a good degree classification drops.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    When I have my 9am lecture, its my day off the day before when I relax and get up around 10am. Depending on what I do, I usually go to bed around 1am, sometimes as late as 4. When the alarm goes off at 5am, I'm usually fine. Then its cup of tea, pick up my bags and make my way to the station for the first train of the day, at 6.
    What towns do you commute between? Are you sure it wouldn't be more effective (even cost effective) to get accomodation nearer uni?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Have your curtain slightly open - this is pretty useless advice in the winter, but the light has helped to wake me up this term.

Also, don't have your alarm clock/phone right beside your bed. Put it somewhere where you actually have to stand up to turn it off!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonperson)
    Have your curtain slightly open - this is pretty useless advice in the winter, but the light has helped to wake me up this term.

Also, don't have your alarm clock/phone right beside your bed. Put it somewhere where you actually have to stand up to turn it off!
    I don't have curtains haha

And I do that but just walk back over to bed and get back in it without thinking.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.