The Student Room Group

average vet med student day

So I wasn't actually expecting to be able to get into vet med, but I'm now in clearing for nottingham (with an interview soon) and I've started to wonder what does your average day look like?
Is something like "work until 20:00 and then take the last 2 hours of the day off " a viable work plan (give or take depending on breaks throughout the day)?
I expect to have less free time than most of my friends but I am wondering just how much that'll be ^^' (tho I am fully expecting to have 0 free time around exams)

And how do you deal with burn out (if you do lol)?

EDIT: Honestly thank you so much to everyone, I was a bit concerned with managing my time once I start the course but this has really helped me understand how to best manage my time while insuring I don't fall behind and avoiding burn out!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by CarpalToad
So I wasn't actually expecting to be able to get into vet med, but I'm now in clearing for nottingham (with an interview tomorrow) and I've started to wonder what does your average day look like?
Is something like "work until 20:00 and then take the last 2 hours of the day off " a viable work plan (give or take depending on breaks throughout the day)?
I expect to have less free time than most of my friends but I am wondering just how much that'll be ^^' (tho I am fully expecting to have 0 free time around exams)

Congrats on your Clearing interview with Nottingham

Tagging in @Little Tail Chaser who may be able to give you more of an idea of how your day/ week will look :smile:
Hello,

I'm a graduated vet now so things may have changed (I also didn't study at Notts), but for me in pre-clinical years a standard day was 4-5 hours of classes spread out between 9am-5pm every day. That would consist of lectures (I'd say average 2-3 per day), seminars/group sessions (approx one per day), private study tasks (approx one per day), labs/dissections (roughly two per week) and Q&A session (one every couple of weeks). It was very, very rare for the day to be full with a class on every single hour, and we also routinely started at 10-11 or finished at 3-4 or earlier. Wednesday afternoons are always kept free for societies (so that inter-university league games can be played).

Going forward into clinical years it gets a lot more intense, you'll be expected to cover working hours of whichever placement you're on (so usually 7-9am to 5-8pm).

I would say that studying until 8pm every day shows a great work ethic, but isn't particularly necessary and, as you suggest, may lead to burn out. For me, I didn't really do much work outside of classes and just ramped it up close to exam time. I'd argue that setting yourself task-based targets (e.g. write up all your lecture notes every day) rather than setting an arbitrary goal in terms of hours is more sustainable and a better use of your time.

With regard to avoiding burn out; don't push yourself beyond your limits. Enjoy vet school while you're there! Join societies, hang out with non vet friends (I appreciate more difficult in SB but sometimes it's nice to chill out and avoid vet chat.... I know with all my vet friends now the conversation inevitably steers back to vet even outside of work :tongue:).
Hiya, I'm a Notts Third Year.

We have teaching scheduled from 9-5. This will be a mixture of different types of teaching. Usually between 2-6 hours of lectures or workshops, and the remaining spaces are self-directed learning which can be independent learning but it might also be group task or involve staff in some way. There will be two or three 'blocks' of practicals a week: so like, two mornings and an afternoon for example. Between 1-3 times a week you will have a clinical relevance session, which is a clinical case you will work through as a group with a member of staff's assistance - you start these even from first year. One hour a week will be a 'wrap-up' of recent material and you can ask questions etc.

Wednesday afternoons are almost always left free for societies, but this isn't always possible. In first year we had a consolidation week in the middle of terms (like a reading week) but I've never had one since haha. Also at Nottingham, during first year you will be assigned a group and two weeks where you are responsible for looking after the school's small holding animals, which is a great way to meet new people in your year. :smile:

You don't really need to work until 8pm each day. I know some people who get up at 5am to study, but (no offense to them) it doesn't really seem to help them learn more than I do! Start vet school with an open mind, and just do the amount of work that feels right to you. I personally only work a couple of hours a week outside of lectures, and after Christmas I start working on my coursework/portfolio every Saturday morning.
The timetable is designed to flood you with information, so when you move on from the week hopefully you retain the key bits of info by default. However, if a particular topic is really difficult for you, then put the time aside to review that material and you should be fine. Try to make little flashcards as you go, rather than having huge study sessions after you've already been at uni all day! This will help you to retain a lot more. Your brain doesn't work great when you've already been at uni from 9-5. Also, two hours a day isn't a great amount of time to spend time with your mates, cook yourself food, wash up and chill out before the next day. You need a little more rest time imo :wink:

With regards to burnout, if you know what you can handle you should be okay. Make friends, join societies, don't work too hard. And try to enjoy it! You've worked hard to get there and it should be the best time of your life!
Above will have given the best info as a Nottingham student, but just want to add to the not overworking yourself train. Burn out at vet school is terrible, and avoiding it by engaging in hobbies and just chill time for as long as possible is best. No, I wouldn't recommend working until 8pm every day during normal times, that would cause burn out. I am not overly recommending what I've done the last 2 years and I am intending to kick myself up a bit more once term starts again, but honestly all I did during non-exam times is go to practicals and other compulsory sessions, for the most part skip lectures as personally I don't learn from listening (at Liverpool they aren't compulsory, not sure for all other unis) and instead spend time hand writing notes + making some revision materials and otherwise I'd chill. Do as I say not as I do though, I would implement some official revision during term (not masses) to keep on top and lessen stress during exam time.

From looking at my Forest app, in first year I spent about 20-30 hours per month doing 'work' outside of official sessions, except in January and May when exams were and I kicked it up to 50-60 hours - I did pass fairly well around 65/70% average, but I didn't feel prepared tbh. In second year I started off about 20 hours a month (we had much less lectures to go through compared to first year) and then I got a kick up my booty as I failed my mocks so increased it to 30-40 hours a month, then in May I did just under 90 hours - I passed the same as I did first year but I felt much more prepared and like I actually knew stuff. Obviously as you go through the years things get more complicated (although you really couldn't pay me to go through first year again, the sheer amount of new info thrown at you was way too overwhelming) so I do expect to work more, but I wouldn't worry about doing loads and loads in first year. I think what was advised when I started first year was doing ~15 hours a week outside of official sessions, but that varies a lot depending on how you learn, how quick you take in info, the content of the week etc so more a guide.

Best advice is that it isn't how long you study for, but rather quality of the studying. People love to brag about how they do all nighters, or 10+ hour sessions in the library, or as above said start studying at 5am - I say sod that, that's not efficient or effective imo, to each their own I guess but that's certainly not something I'd ever consider doing. Find the best times you work at - some people it is in the evening, but I wouldn't risk your sleep as that's when you process info the most. Flash cards seem very popular but if you're just blindly flipping them over and reading them while your mind is on something else that's not much use. I also found that per lecture I'd easily amount 50+ terms, and with ~20 lectures a week in first year that seemed way too daunting and I never went throught them again once making them. But what really worked for me for subjects like limb anatomy where it's more 'this is this' rather than theory is using diagrams and summary tables for the muscles, so in second year I adapted this for all my other subjects to make summary tables and I think that's my way forward - for some they may be too simplified so everyone has their own thing, I'd try different approaches initially and see what works best. I also do something which everyone says not to do - I love my handwritten notes, but I do them very concisely and very quickly, usually 15-30 min per lecture unless it's really complex as I will properly research anything I don't understand before I write it, and I find that's how info goes in my head the best, then use my tables later as supplementary to test myself on what I remember. Typing seems to work for others, personally I don't retain typed notes as well, so as you can see it really is individual.

Another bit of advice that I haven't done very well but intend to do better is use your free periods. I assume Notts has some free slots like we do, e.g. we may have sessions 9-5 but may have gaps in between, if you spend even 30 min then that is 30 min less you'll have to do later and it can add up. Thinking in terms of 'I will finish x lectures today then go home' rather than 'I will spend 4 hours in the library today' imo is much better, again quality over quantity. Essentially, yes you will have free time. No, probably not as much as your friends doing 'normal' courses. But taking care of yourself takes priority - make sure you eat and sleep well, lots of time for relaxing, make sure you clean your room etc. I went into quite a bad depression in first year because I didn't put myself first, and as soon as I did (a planned 'cleaning day' once a week really helped) I've been so much happier and feel I'm getting stuff more.
Original post by RambleAmple
Another bit of advice that I haven't done very well but intend to do better is use your free periods. I assume Notts has some free slots like we do, e.g. we may have sessions 9-5 but may have gaps in between, if you spend even 30 min then that is 30 min less you'll have to do later and it can add up. Thinking in terms of 'I will finish x lectures today then go home' rather than 'I will spend 4 hours in the library today' imo is much better, again quality over quantity. Essentially, yes you will have free time. No, probably not as much as your friends doing 'normal' courses. But taking care of yourself takes priority - make sure you eat and sleep well, lots of time for relaxing, make sure you clean your room etc. I went into quite a bad depression in first year because I didn't put myself first, and as soon as I did (a planned 'cleaning day' once a week really helped) I've been so much happier and feel I'm getting stuff more.

Just to add some more Notts info: amount of free periods varies by year. In Year 1 we had more free periods but I had to stay until 5pm most days. In Year 2 we had very few free periods and were fully scheduled, but we finished at 4pm most days. I think it's just variable based on year.

We do have self-directed learning (SDL) tasks which are timetabled within the day which break up the lectures. You can use them as a free period if you want to as it's kind of like self-study, however they're usually directly relevant to your next session (and also contain examinable content) so it's advisable to do them during the allocated time. Doing these SDLs improves your understanding as well, so I found I didn't need to study as much after doing them and understanding them.

Also, during our practical 'blocks' you'll get a group timing. So if a dissection was running from 9am-1pm, I might be told my group will be from 9am until 10:15. This allows me to use 10:15 until 1pm to self-study and complete SDLs.

These are just a couple of ways in which you can some squeeze in a bit more work, without having to study until 8pm. :smile:
So I wasn't actually expecting to be able to get into vet med, but I'm now in clearing for nottingham (with an interview soon) and I've started to wonder what does your average day look like?

EDIT: Honestly thank you so much to everyone, I was a bit concerned with managing my time once I start the course but this has really helped me understand how to best manage my time while insuring I don't fall behind and avoiding burn out!

Good morning. Congratulations on your interview for Nottingham vet med in clearing :biggrin:. Can I possible ask if you have heard anything back yet x
Reply 7
Original post by lizreeves
Good morning. Congratulations on your interview for Nottingham vet med in clearing :biggrin:. Can I possible ask if you have heard anything back yet x

Yep, I already heard back and unfortunately didn't make it - but I'm not too crushed as it gives me a chance to apply at some of the other unis :smile:
I just wish they could give more feedback! Especially because I thought my interview went alright
Yep, I already heard back and unfortunately didn't make it - but I'm not too crushed as it gives me a chance to apply at some of the other unis :smile:
I just wish they could give more feedback! Especially because I thought my interview went alright

Oh I’m so sorry but yes means you can definitely apply to other universities and it’s all really good experience. Yes it’s a shame about feedback, maybe you could ring them but I know they have only a handful of spaces and you did really well to get through to interview 😁
Only next month and you can start applying to some great universities with experience of an interview to help you.
Sorry to ask but do you mind telling me when they let you know the outcome? xx
Reply 9
They said they will be getting back to everyone very soon (specifically said they're not sure exactly when responses will be sent out but, everyone should hear back by/on the 19th)
I recieved the email yesterday
Oh I’m so sorry but yes means you can definitely apply to other universities and it’s all really good experience. Yes it’s a shame about feedback, maybe you could ring them but I know they have only a handful of spaces and you did really well to get through to interview 😁
Only next month and you can start applying to some great universities with experience of an interview to help you.
Sorry to ask but do you mind telling me when they let you know the outcome? xx
(edited 8 months ago)
They said they will be getting back to everyone very soon (specifically said they're not sure exactly when responses will be sent out but, everyone should hear back by/on the 19th)
I recieved the email yesterday

Oh ok thank you. My Son still hasn’t heard. You received an email on Saturday? xx
Hi guys, I'll be starting BVetMed at RVC in september '23. To all the 4th, 5th years and graduates, does each year's textbooks change annually? ie. year 1 textbook is the same book from 2020 to 2023 etc
Do you receive a set booklist or does it depend on your lecturer?
Reply 12
Sorry for the wait! Yep, I received an email on saturday but, it's possible they went out on Friday since I know I don't always have emails show up right away (and it seemed like that's what they wanted to do).

I assume they should've finished given them out by yesterday (because of accommodation) so if he still hasn't heard back, make sure to check spam (which is where mine showed up) and potentially send them an email explaining you haven't heard back.
I hope he hears back soon :smile:

Oh ok thank you. My Son still hasn’t heard. You received an email on Saturday? xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending