The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5940
Original post by Phoenix07
Yer I totally get what you mean with the not knowing what set you off, that is one of the things that annoys me most about me. that people now know that if they say anything I will immediately just get angry or upset. And I have no control over it and as soon as it happens I feel like complete **** I just hate it. I hate that most of the time it involves me shouting at my bf for nothing and then getting really upset about it. I just wish I wasn't so all over the place! :hugs:

I started to get better for a bit to, and now I can't understand how I have got so bad again :frown: try and stay strong and positive though hun, got the meeting people in london to look forward to :smile: just hope you get through all this without having to be sectioned hun, but if that is the only way you would feel safe!

I am not doing good, got my Drs appointment tomorrow and absolutely ****ing it! I hate going and I don't want to go they are absolutely horrible about it all. But I can't afford to not do anything about it and ruin my degree, my chances for my next degree and my relationship :frown: Looking after the house home alone tonight which is **** as well!

You back home yet then? Feeling any better? :hugs:

:jumphug: OMG :eek: someone copied me :biggrin: . Nah seriously, that is exactly what happens to me. Not so much in school now compared until Year 9, but a lot at home (although of late it has become making a return in school). One thing that always happens with me is hating girls whenever something bad happens. It remains from the days I used to get bullied a lot by them.

:hugs: Thanks :smile: Hope you feel better soon! And I'm sure you'll cope alone tonight :hugs:

:console: Don't worry about that too much. It would be better if you go because you have a greater chance of getting better. :smile:

Yeah I came home around 6:30 but went to sleep not long after, and woke up around now. Still don't feel good. Tomorrow in school we are doing something different than usual. I really don't want to go, but the school said they will ensure that everyone attends. I just hate them so much - they don't organise properly and then try to spread last-minute messages, which I don't believe because I don't trust people, and also because the school assumes that you have friends. I don't really have any.

Suicide reference:

Spoiler

I think boys school is calling me next year :sadnod:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by avhhs
:jumphug: OMG :eek: someone copied me :biggrin: . Nah seriously, that is exactly what happens to me. Not so much in school now compared until Year 9, but a lot at home (although of late it has become making a return in school). One thing that always happens with me is hating girls whenever something bad happens. It remains from the days I used to get bullied a lot by them.

:hugs: Thanks :smile: Hope you feel better soon! And I'm sure you'll cope alone tonight :hugs:

:console: Don't worry about that too much. It would be better if you go because you have a greater chance of getting better. :smile:

Yeah I came home around 6:30 but went to sleep not long after, and woke up around now. Still don't feel good. Tomorrow in school we are doing something different than usual. I really don't want to go, but the school said they will ensure that everyone attends. I just hate them so much - they don't organise properly and then try to spread last-minute messages, which I don't believe because I don't trust people, and also because the school assumes that you have friends. I don't really have any.

Suicide reference:

Spoiler

I think boys school is calling me next year :sadnod:

Nah I do think the same when reading through some of your stuff, you do just seem to be quite similar to me with a lot of things, suppose thats why it is so easy to talk to you about it all! :smile:

Yer I know it is best for me to go and get it sorted, but feeling really **** about it all at the moment, just can't be bothered with everything! Just feeling so alone currently too :frown:

I am glad you got home alright though hun, was worried about you, you do seem really down at the mo :frown: the school sounds pretty annoying though, I missed lots of school and college because they were doing certain activities that I knew I wouldn't have been able to cope with. And in fairness I got so stressed over it that in the end I was actually ill enough to be off for the things. They should organise things better though thats really bad of them, I don't understand this concept of trusting people either so I would be the same as you!

Spoiler

I probs won't sleep anytime soon, can't sleep when I am home alone I am far to paranoid ... so I will be here for you :hugs:
Reply 5942
Nah I do think the same when reading through some of your stuff, you do just seem to be quite similar to me with a lot of things, suppose thats why it is so easy to talk to you about it all! :smile:

Yer I know it is best for me to go and get it sorted, but feeling really **** about it all at the moment, just can't be bothered with everything! Just feeling so alone currently too :frown:

I am glad you got home alright though hun, was worried about you, you do seem really down at the mo :frown: the school sounds pretty annoying though, I missed lots of school and college because they were doing certain activities that I knew I wouldn't have been able to cope with. And in fairness I got so stressed over it that in the end I was actually ill enough to be off for the things. They should organise things better though thats really bad of them, I don't understand this concept of trusting people either so I would be the same as you!

Spoiler

I probs won't sleep anytime soon, can't sleep when I am home alone I am far to paranoid ... so I will be here for you :hugs:

:hugs:

Don't feel alone! I'm there for you :jumphug:

:hugs: Aww I'm so sorry for making you worry. I am really down. I think I am going to miss school tomorrow. I just don't want to go there.

Spoiler

OMG thank you :jumphug:. You're currently the only person there for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
*sneaks in*

Hey folks, been away a few days (scattering aunt's ashes), and am actually doing surprisingly well for now, all things considered. Was good seeing my more extended family, and also just to get out into the country for a while (went to Northumberland, which appears to be full of sheep, hares and castles). And I've had a pretty productive day today - helping my sister sort stuff for moving to France (she's flying out on Thursday, I'm pretty excited for her), sorting uni stuff for myself, and also sent out requests for more information on volunteering opportunities I might apply for.

Still got a few things I'm worrying about, like how I'll be once my sister's gone or when I'm back at uni, plus also my hands have been shaking more than ever this weekend, and my memory has become so appalling that I think I'm going to have to ask my doctor about it. But overall it's good to be having a few up days for once, even normal service does recommence imminently.

Got lots of posts to inflict my views on - expect mega post tomorrow or thereabouts.

*sneaks out*
Original post by avhhs

Don't feel alone! I'm there for you :jumphug:

:hugs: Aww I'm so sorry for making you worry. I am really down. I think I am going to miss school tomorrow. I just don't want to go there.

Spoiler

OMG thank you :jumphug:. You're currently the only person there for me.

Well thanks hun :smile: I appreciate being able to talk to you about stuff! And don't worry about making me worry, most things make me worry, the joys of anxiety disorders :tongue: it might be good for you to have a day off to chill out a bit, not spend it stressing about things.

sui

Spoiler

I am glad I can be here for you though hun, makes me feel not completely useless :smile: :hugs:
Hi all,

I'm coming back to TSR after a reasonable hiatus and this seems like a good thread to insert myself into as I'm currently (finally) getting some formal treatment for the depression/low mood/low self esteem issues that have been having a considerable impact on my life for the last 3 years.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd say to start talking about my own issues, so I'll just leave it at that, have a read of what other people are saying and see if I've got anything worthwhile to contribute.

EDIT: I suppose if I can't talk in generalisations, I'll give specifics. My grandfather died recently (which was sad but not a tragedy as he was old and had lived a good life, and he went quickly without pain) and I was for a while unwilling to let myself grieve for him, until I realised that it was because I was terrified that my last memory of him (me and my dad tidying his garden for him, which he had always maintained himself until he was too shaky on his feet to do so) might reflect well on me. My self-loathing and unwillingness to take credit for anything good had reached such a level that I was blocking out the entirely appropriate sadness over the death of a relative in order to avoid feeling proud of myself for doing something positive for him.

I just felt that's the sort of thing that's indicative of the sort of problems I have.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5946
Well thanks hun :smile: I appreciate being able to talk to you about stuff! And don't worry about making me worry, most things make me worry, the joys of anxiety disorders :tongue: it might be good for you to have a day off to chill out a bit, not spend it stressing about things.

sui

Spoiler

I am glad I can be here for you though hun, makes me feel not completely useless :smile: :hugs:

That's good :smile:. And yeah, I won't go to school.

Spoiler

Original post by avhhs
That's good :smile:. And yeah, I won't go to school.

Spoiler

Spoiler

you feeling any better this morning hun? :hugs:
Hello everyone,

Recently the moderation team has been concerned about the Depression Society, both as a result of queries and complaints raised by members and from our own observations. We are really keen to keep the Depression Society as a friendly and helpful place where people can find support when they are suffering. However, we have noticed that the number of posts about suicidal feelings or wishing to self-harm have increased recently. This is quite worrying for us, and we are well aware that some members are also upset about both the increase in these posts and our current moderation of them. We would therefore like to get some feedback from you all about how you think we can best manage the situation.

Our current policy is that any discussion of suicide or self-harm is not permitted, whether that's writing about contemplating it, or discussing methods. It is important to note that this includes anything written in spoiler tags. The reasons for this policy are:

We are not professionally trained to deal with serious, potentially dangerous issues like this. We feel that directing people to appropriate help is safer than posting on TSR about it.

Often messages about these types of feelings end up getting replies which are at best well-intentioned but unhelpful and at worst downright malicious. We would never want someone to be made to feel worse for posting about their feelings.

There is a real risk of both triggering other users and increasing dangerous behaviour by allowing discussion of self-harm methods etc.

We do not want TSR to be seen to be a site which encourages or promotes self-harm.

It is unlikely that this ban will be lifted or altered in the near future so please bear this in mind when answering the questions. If you are able to help us, please post in AAHRM (not in this thread) with the answers to these questions: -

1) What do you primarily use the depression soc for?

To chat about day to day life with friends I have met through the depression society

To rant/release about problems I am experiencing

To get advice for dealing with depression

To seek and offer support from/to others going through similar situations

Other - please give details

2) How do you feel about the posting of potentially triggering content? Do spoilers help you to avoid this, or are you still tempted to look? (Please note that posting explicitly about self-harm/suicide in spoiler tags is still not permitted)

3) Within the constraints of the moderation policy on suicide and self-harm, how do you best think we can deal with posts on these topics while keeping the Depression Society healthy and supportive?

4) Would you support the idea of splitting the Depression Society into a "chat" thread and an "advice" thread, like the Long Distance Relationship Society?

5) Do you have any other ideas about how to improve the Depression Society and/or depression support on TSR?

Finally, we are looking for some active Depression Society members to work with the moderation team to help implement these changes and help keep the society a healthy and safe place to be. If you are interested in this, please let us know when you post in AAHRM

Thanks very much,

Helenia and the H&R mod team.
Reply 5949

Spoiler

you feeling any better this morning hun? :hugs:

I can see why you wouldn't want to do it :hugs:

I haven't gone to school, and I am feeling much better. I hope I use this time to catch up on some work :smile:

How are you feeling today? :hugs:

And on the BBC website today: "Do we really give introverts a hard time?"
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by los lobos marinos
Thing is, it's really hard for someone who does not have mental health illness to understand.

Sounds like she is trying to be supportive and helpful. People say things that are well intentioned and from their perspective sounds correct. But to us? Might as well have been spoke in Swahili lol

Don't worry about it. Just feel happy that she was trying to help. She's your friend. I'm sure she must have meant well

I guess you have a point :redface:

Original post by Nut.
Such a useless thing to say :console:.

I was told to enjoy my psychosis because at least it 'made life interesting'. Yes, because believing that everyone is watching you and waiting for you to 'evolve' before capturing you to experiment on you is really fun. :lolwut:

Haven't spoken to him for over 18 months now. :teehee:

I know :frown: thanks :hugs:

And oh gawd :lolwut:

Maybe I should make her less of a close friend.

Original post by thatsthebadger93
Sounds like the mindfullness stuff I was doing with a psychologist, a bit like the whole 'zen' thing or the power of now. It is meant to be quite helpful but it's certainly not just a question of not thinking about things. Maybe thats what your friend was going for?

Maybe :sadnod:
Original post by avhhs
I can see why you wouldn't want to do it :hugs:

I haven't gone to school, and I am feeling much better. I hope I use this time to catch up on some work :smile:

How are you feeling today? :hugs:

And on the BBC website today: "Do we really give introverts a hard time?"

Well I am glad taking the day off from everything has helped you to feel better hun :smile: and hope you manage to do some work! The internet is broken at home so I can't do my work today though :frown: grrr!

However I went to the Dr today :smile: she was lovely, so much nicer than the other people I have seen. However back on citalopram which didn't help at all last time but she pretty much said it was that or no medication, so maybe it'll help more this time! Also she has helped me to sign up for CBT which I am slightly worried about but some people seem to have had positive help from it so hopefully it'll be good!

So yes feeling a bit more positive about things today (well for now) mornings are always better than the rest of the day though so we'll see how it goes :smile:

Interesting BBC article though, it's not all bad being like us then :tongue:

Hows everything going then hun? :hugs:
Reply 5952
Well I am glad taking the day off from everything has helped you to feel better hun :smile: and hope you manage to do some work! The internet is broken at home so I can't do my work today though :frown: grrr!

However I went to the Dr today :smile: she was lovely, so much nicer than the other people I have seen. However back on citalopram which didn't help at all last time but she pretty much said it was that or no medication, so maybe it'll help more this time! Also she has helped me to sign up for CBT which I am slightly worried about but some people seem to have had positive help from it so hopefully it'll be good!

So yes feeling a bit more positive about things today (well for now) mornings are always better than the rest of the day though so we'll see how it goes :smile:

Interesting BBC article though, it's not all bad being like us then :tongue:

Hows everything going then hun? :hugs:

Oh dear :tongue:

Excellent that you got some help from the doctor. Don't worry too much about medication. Even if it helps you a tiny bit it is good. Also hope the CBT helps you! :smile:

Yeah I suppose it isn't :tongue:

Everything seems to be ok right now. Just need to do homework, which I still haven't started! I had an idea of looking at my pics from last year, of the end of Year 11. However, I think it might drag my mood down :tongue:.

Original post by avhhs
Oh dear :tongue:

Excellent that you got some help from the doctor. Don't worry too much about medication. Even if it helps you a tiny bit it is good. Also hope the CBT helps you! :smile:

Yeah I suppose it isn't :tongue:

Everything seems to be ok right now. Just need to do homework, which I still haven't started! I had an idea of looking at my pics from last year, of the end of Year 11. However, I think it might drag my mood down :tongue:.

yup stupid internet people they said it would be fixed by 10 but still no internet :frown:

Yer I am really glad that she was nice was really worried this morning. But yer I think it should hopefully go ok! Hopefully the citalopram will be more helpful this time, just not looking forward to having side effects like last time I went on them :tongue:

But good, I am very glad you are feeling better hun :smile: I was very worried about you last night! so noooo you aren't allowed to do anything that might drag your mood down :tongue: hope you manage to get your work done though, I am trying to get through more of my dissertation without the internet!

:hugs: :smile:
Reply 5954
yup stupid internet people they said it would be fixed by 10 but still no internet :frown:

Yer I am really glad that she was nice was really worried this morning. But yer I think it should hopefully go ok! Hopefully the citalopram will be more helpful this time, just not looking forward to having side effects like last time I went on them :tongue:

But good, I am very glad you are feeling better hun :smile: I was very worried about you last night! so noooo you aren't allowed to do anything that might drag your mood down :tongue: hope you manage to get your work done though, I am trying to get through more of my dissertation without the internet!

:hugs: :smile:

Don't worry too much about it :smile:

Sounds good. Do these medicines have very bad side effects?

:hugs: Thanks :smile:. Sorry for worrying you last night :colondollar:. I won't be looking at those pics though (not now at least :tongue:). I STILL haven't started! :tongue: Do hope you get more done :hugs:
Reply 5955
Original post by ViceVersa

I know :frown: thanks :hugs:

And oh gawd :lolwut:

Maybe I should make her less of a close friend.

I guess it depends on a few things, like how often she tends to say things like that to you.
Mine was the last in a long line of annoying/offensive/hurtful things that this 'friend' had said, and I got really p****d off and deleted his mobile number, facebook etc. He didn't try to contact me after that so I just left it because if he didn't understand that he should have apologised then I had no time for him.
Original post by avhhs
Don't worry too much about it :smile:

Sounds good. Do these medicines have very bad side effects?

:hugs: Thanks :smile:. Sorry for worrying you last night :colondollar:. I won't be looking at those pics though (not now at least :tongue:). I STILL haven't started! :tongue: Do hope you get more done :hugs:

Nah still got a couple of weeks before my dissertation has to be in!

But it really does depend, the side effects can be very different from person to person. The first few days on propranolol I felt really weird but that wasn't to bad, and the first time I went on citalopram there was nothing. But the second time I started taking it I got a few. Was really nauseous and dizzy and got really bad headaches, so hoping it is more like the first time this time! You on any medication for it hun?

It's alright though hun, just wanted you to feel better :hugs: hope you manage to get some work down in the end though! I haven't managed to do much as of yet, hopefully will do soon though! Had my morning coffee finally so it will all be good again now :biggrin:

I'm so depressed. I got an essay back, which I thought I'd done alright it, but I only got 55. That's so ****.
And I have another essay in for Thirsday which I haven't even started yet. I just, ergh I can't do it. I just want to lay in bed and cry.
Sorrym I know this may seem really dramatic. But I just don't think I can do it, and I don't know what's the point of doing anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5958
Hi newbie here :hello:

I've had depression since i was about 15 (now nearly 18) and i finally built up the courage to tell my parents i needed help last september. I went to my GP who diagnosed me, but she was very against doing ANYTHING to help me as i was still 'a child' and i wasn't a risk to myself. I left it because i didn't know what to say to her so my parents now think i'm fine when i know i'm not. Anyway long story short, i've decied that i'm happy waiting til september and i'm at university to ask a doctor for help again.

Sorry for the rant but i just wanted to get it off my chest.
Reply 5959
Original post by xbethany
I'm so depressed. I got an essay back, which I thought I'd done alright it, but I only got 55. That's so ****.
And I have another essay in for Thirsday which I haven't even started yet. I just, ergh I can't do it. I just want to lay in bed and cry.
Sorrym I know this may seem really dramatic. But I just don't think I can do it, and I don't know what's the point of doing anything.

This happens to me a lot so i can imagine how you feel. What i try and do is do the work a bit at a time an take as many breaks as i need. Even if it means going past the due date (in which case i tell the teacher that a lot is going on at home right now, because i don't feel comfortble telling me about my depression) and they usually give me an extension.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest