The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA1 23rd May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hey guys, do you have any advice for memorising/cramming for this exam? Basically I have hardly done any psychology revision because my other exams took priority, so now I've got 4 days to revise psychology.
Reply 101
Original post by AwkwardPenguin
I'm self teaching so myself although I got a friend to mark it as well and checked we agreed. :smile: I'm sure you'd be fine to do it yourself just make sure that you mark yourself as harshly as possible to be on the safe side. :smile:
Ahh cool, I probably will...it takes a lot of time to get it to the teachers...and then to get it back
Reply 102
Also, is research methods interweaved in both PSYA1 and PSYA2? My teachers said that they incorporate it within questions of the other topics but if so, why is research methods an individual topic in PSYA1?
Reply 103
Original post by katles
hey guys, do you have any advice for memorising/cramming for this exam? Basically I have hardly done any psychology revision because my other exams took priority, so now I've got 4 days to revise psychology.

My teacher swears by "6 point rules" i.e. you make 6 AO1 (facts and stats, what they did etc) bullet points and 3 AO2 (evaluation) bullet points (3 evaluation points + elaboration = 6 marks) for each study. They're quite easy to memorise - try flashcards or just keep trying to write them out as many times as possible from memory - and in the end you'll have enough detail to get 12/12 marks on any study!

For example, a very in-depth 6-point-rule for Asch (1951) would be:

6/7 confederates. Participant 6th.

Participants had to call out in turn which line was the same length as the line on the test card. It was unambiguous, the correct answer was always obvious.

Confederates gave unanimous wrong answers on 12/18 trials “the critical trials”

Participants yielded to the confederates on 32% of the critical trials.

74% of participants conformed at least once

Some said that they had conformed as they thought “6 other people couldn’t be wrong”, others feared ridicule from the group if they gave a different answer

Hope this helps! Oh, and you could always use the method of loci from the cognitive unit to remember!
Reply 104
Original post by Tim Kelly
My teacher swears by "6 point rules" i.e. you make 6 AO1 (facts and stats, what they did etc) bullet points and 3 AO2 (evaluation) bullet points (3 evaluation points + elaboration = 6 marks) for each study. They're quite easy to memorise - try flashcards or just keep trying to write them out as many times as possible from memory - and in the end you'll have enough detail to get 12/12 marks on any study!

Participants had to call out in turn which line was the same length as the line on the test card. It was unambiguous, the correct answer was always obvious.

Some said that they had conformed as they thought “6 other people couldn’t be wrong”, others feared ridicule from the group if they gave a different answer

Hope this helps! Oh, and you could always use the method of loci from the cognitive unit to remember!

Thank you :biggrin: Right now I'm just going through developmental notes to try and memorise, then I'll probably try some past papers and learn the mark scheme...
Right for those wanting them I have you some psychology notes!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ysjdtg25v6msu68

They're for all of the units because I can't remember my password to get into the account and upload them separately, but if you go into the main folder Unit 1 is very clearly labelled so you can just delete the rest!

(The mobile uploads folder has the same as the main folder give or take a few sets of notes, but in pdf format so that anyone that wants can put them on their phone to revise on the go! :smile:)
Original post by katles
Also, is research methods interweaved in both PSYA1 and PSYA2? My teachers said that they incorporate it within questions of the other topics but if so, why is research methods an individual topic in PSYA1?

Yes it is, it has a main section in Unit 1 and then is incorporated into 2 as well.
And I'd assume they want you to do it in both AS papers but you need a huge crash course when you start because you haven't done it before hence the separate section in unit 1, but then you have to be able to apply it throughout psychology. :smile:
Reply 107
Yes it is, it has a main section in Unit 1 and then is incorporated into 2 as well.
And I'd assume they want you to do it in both AS papers but you need a huge crash course when you start because you haven't done it before hence the separate section in unit 1, but then you have to be able to apply it throughout psychology. :smile:

Ohh I see, thank you :biggrin: and thank you SO much for uploading your revision notes, the file size is huge O_O I appreciate it a lot :smile:
Original post by katles
Ohh I see, thank you :biggrin: and thank you SO much for uploading your revision notes, the file size is huge O_O I appreciate it a lot :smile:

I'm sorry it's so huge it's because it's all 4 units! You're welcome though, I hope they help! :smile:
Reply 109
I'm sorry it's so huge it's because it's all 4 units! You're welcome though, I hope they help! :smile:

I've just downloaded them, oh my god it's like a GOLD MINE of Psychology revision :gah: THANK YOU!! :hugs:

Seriously, I feel slightly guilty taking these. They're insanely helpful :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
in my business studies AQA 2 years ago they put a question on niche markets in module 1 even though its on module 2 spec section. I reckon they might put something on research methods in psya2. its the 6 days I have to revise 80% of content of psya2 I am stressing about.
Original post by katles

Yes it is, in unit 1, each section has 8 marks worth of research methods questions and in unit 2, each section has 4 marks worth of research methods

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 112
Original post by cdoyle
in my business studies AQA 2 years ago they put a question on niche markets in module 1 even though its on module 2 spec section. I reckon they might put something on research methods in psya2. its the 6 days I have to revise 80% of content of psya2 I am stressing about.

Same, I'm stressing out about that too, but hey it's 6 days which will hopefully be enough :smile: Right now I'm just totally ignoring unit 2 and concentrating on unit 1 and my stats exam the day after -__-

Original post by BobbyBurke
Yes it is, in unit 1, each section has 8 marks worth of research methods questions and in unit 2, each section has 4 marks worth of research methods

Ohh okay. Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Tim Kelly

Tim Kelly I agree on your 3 point evaluative rule however, my tutor told me when evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of something, for example Bowlby's evolutionary theory of attachment, we must write 2 developed strengths as well as 2 developed weaknesses. She expressed the importance of having an equal balance and maintaining marks. For example; according to my tutor, 3 elaborated strengths and 2 elaborated weaknesses can only score a maximum of 5 marks due to an unequal balance between the two.

Can someone help me evaluate Bowlby's theory? No strengths please, just 2 developed weaknesses that I can use to gain 3 marks in the exam, thanks.

Original post by katles
I've just downloaded them, oh my god it's like a GOLD MINE of Psychology revision :gah: THANK YOU!! :hugs:

Seriously, I feel slightly guilty taking these. They're insanely helpful :biggrin:

Don't feel guilty, honestly, not all of them are even mine. :smile: They're a collection of my own notes & some I grabbed off here. :smile:

Hope they help. :smile:

Urgh I am so sick of some of the developmental unit. It's so depressing.
Don't feel guilty, honestly, not all of them are even mine. :smile: They're a collection of my own notes & some I grabbed off here. :smile:

Hope they help. :smile:

Urgh I am so sick of some of the developmental unit. It's so depressing.

Ah me to, I am excellent at cognitive psychology, I get an A in every past paper I do that is marked by the teacher. On the other hand, I always get 69% on developmental past papers (which is a high C). I think I do badly because I find it boring and less psychological when compared to other units however; when I eventually get all of the studies by sunday, I should be all ready for Wednesday with a quick, brief revision sesh on mon and tues :smile:

What are you finding difficult?

Ah me to, I am excellent at cognitive psychology, I get an A in every past paper I do that is marked by the teacher. On the other hand, I always get 69% on developmental past papers (which is a high C). I think I do badly because I find it boring and less psychological when compared to other units however; when I eventually get all of the studies by sunday, I should be all ready for Wednesday with a quick, brief revision sesh on mon and tues :smile:

What are you finding difficult?

I'm sure you'll do great. :smile: But it's not that I'm finding it difficult I just hate the parts about children being locked in basements etc it's horrible. :frown:
Reply 118
Tim Kelly I agree on your 3 point evaluative rule however, my tutor told me when evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of something, for example Bowlby's evolutionary theory of attachment, we must write 2 developed strengths as well as 2 developed weaknesses. She expressed the importance of having an equal balance and maintaining marks. For example; according to my tutor, 3 elaborated strengths and 2 elaborated weaknesses can only score a maximum of 5 marks due to an unequal balance between the two.

While my teachers have never said that imbalance is an issue, I usually do that aswell but more for good measure incase the examiner doesnt quite feel my evaluation detailed enough. But, technically with detailed explanation you only need three.

We were always taught to follow this guide when it comes to each evaluative point:

Key term (e.g. Asch's study may have the issue of demand characteristics)

Define key term ( Where a participant alters their behaviour in accordance with what they believe to be the aim of the experiment )

Relate to experiment ( The participants may be conforming more or less as they believe that is what the experimenter is testing )

Possible effect on the results ( This may lower the internal validity of the study )

Reply 119
Can someone help me evaluate Bowlby's theory? No strengths please, just 2 developed weaknesses that I can use to gain 3 marks in the exam, thanks.

You could say how Bowlby is directly counteracted by Learning theory.

But the best weakness for Bowlby is that he takes ideas from Freud (monotropy) - who uses case studies and is subjective, and Lorenz who used comparative psychology (critical period)- not necessarily applicable to humans.

Then there's Kolochova's Czech twins, which would imply that the "internal working model" idea is flawed as they were able to attach in later life despite no parental contact as infants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending