The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

i cant for the life of me find my psya2 textbook and doing so much a2 revision is mixing up similar topics, reading over aggression for psya3 and bandura's slt is involved, someone remind me please what section of as is SLT used in again i can't even remember smh
Reply 181
Original post by youngzwavey
i cant for the life of me find my psya2 textbook and doing so much a2 revision is mixing up similar topics, reading over aggression for psya3 and bandura's slt is involved, someone remind me please what section of as is SLT used in again i can't even remember smh

Uh. SLT is used in the behavioural approach to abnormality?
Original post by Deyesy
I take it you meant ECT and not EWT? :tongue: And the strength you've mentioned, I'd be personally inclined to mention that in a question about the biological treatments of abnormality and not a question about the approach itself but that's just me :redface:

Haha yeah I meant ECT. And fair enough but my psych tutor told me I can briefly mention some
Form of treatment and earn a maximum of 2 marks for ao1 and 2 marks for an elaborated evaluative point for ao2 for a 12 marker specifically related to the biological approach

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by snakeyface
Thanks Deyesy and Bobbyburke! That's really helpful.

Your welcome. Need any other help?

Original post by Deyesy
Uh. SLT is used in the behavioural approach to abnormality?

thanks man, when you're resitting As exams they get mixed up quite a few studys and experimenters appear in A2 seemingly explaining something different
Original post by Deyesy
I take it you meant ECT and not EWT? :tongue: And the strength you've mentioned, I'd be personally inclined to mention that in a question about the biological treatments of abnormality and not a question about the approach itself but that's just me :redface:

Woops, sorry, mate. I was supposed to give this a greeny not a neg :colondollar:
Original post by BobbyBurke
Your welcome. Need any other help?

Not for now, thanks! I'm just finishing my revision notes now and will start the past papers tomorrow. Might need some more help then :P
Original post by snakeyface
Not for now, thanks! I'm just finishing my revision notes now and will start the past papers tomorrow. Might need some more help then :P

Haha okay then! Also; if yourself or anyone else knows 2 elaborated evaluation points that are weaknesses of Bowlby's evolutionary theory, can you please let me no. The ones in the book are awful.

Reply 188
Original post by BobbyBurke
Haha okay then! Also; if yourself or anyone else knows 2 elaborated evaluation points that are weaknesses of Bowlby's evolutionary theory, can you please let me no. The ones in the book are awful.

This is a thread for PSYA2 not PSYA1 dude :tongue:
Original post by Deyesy
This is a thread for PSYA2 not PSYA1 dude :tongue:

Oh.

Reply 191
Yeahhhh, I've not even started memorising stress yet :tongue: Though, Social Influence has taken me about two days to know it by heart and there's a week left so :yes:
Original post by Deyesy
Yeahhhh, I've not even started memorising stress yet :tongue: Though, Social Influence has taken me about two days to know it by heart and there's a week left so :yes:

aha, I'm the opposite: finished stress now going to tackle social influence.
How many studies you memorise per part (in terms of what they could ask on the spec)?
For stress and the immune system I have Kiecolt-Glaser, Cohen and Evans (as well as a few studies on CVD like Cobb and Rose and Rozanski); then for life changes I have Holmes and Rahe, Rahe, and Jacobs and Charles; for daily hassles, Kanner, DeLongis, Sher, and Houdenhovel; workplace stress Johansson, Marmot, Russek, and Caplan; etc. So about 2-3 for each. A few of my friends are only memorising one in full detail and the summary of a second, but I'm far too paranoid for that :frown:

Stress has a lot of studies D:
Original post by Id and Ego seek

Stress has a lot of studies D:

Very true, but I have found the Unit 2 material so much more engaging in comparison to the Unit 1 cohort which I thought was just quite dry. We've been told to memorised a few case studies for each "topic", you'll at most get asked a 12 mark question where you will need to elaborate on your points, not just outline a million and one studies that the book has in it- am I the only one that thinks the book is really quite wordy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Anybody have like a detailed specimen/check list sheet?

:biggrin:
Original post by PowerPuff
Anybody have like a detailed specimen/check list sheet?

:biggrin:

no, not detailed, but in the extra book i have for AS it tells you at the front what you need to know?

Stress

Stress as a bodily response:
- the body's response to stress, including pituitary-adrenal system and sympathomedullary pathway.
- stress-related illness and the immune system

Stress in everyday life:
- life changes and daily hassles
- stress and personality, including type A behaviour
- (this point is about emotion-focused stuff, which we no longer need)
- stress management, including psychological methods (CBT) and physiological methods (drugs)

Social Psychology

Social Influence:
- Conformity, including internalisation and compliance
- Explanations for conformity and normative and social influence
- Obedience
- Explanations for obedience

Social influences in everyday life:
- explanations for independent behaviour, including resistance to conformity and obedience
- individual differences and independent behaviour, including locus of control
- implications for social change of research into social influence (i always read that weirdly, but when the exam asked it it was basically saying "how can one go about bringing social change in a country and include an example like nelson mandella")

Abnormality

Defining and explaining psychological abnormality:
- ways defining abnormality, togehter with their limitations (given you the 3 definitions)
- key features of the biological approach to psychopathology (biological approach)
- key features of psychological approaches to psychopathology (cognitive, behavioural, psychodynamic)

Treating abnormality:
- biological therapies (ECT and Drugs)
- Psychological therapies (psychoanalysis, systematic desensitisation, CBT)

hope this helps!
Reply 196
can anyone tell me whats likley to come up as the 12 marker? !!!!

and also tell me if its possible for any of the topics to come up? i have never seen therapies?
Original post by Tilly3475
can anyone tell me whats likley to come up as the 12 marker? !!!!

and also tell me if its possible for any of the topics to come up? i have never seen therapies?

well theres a section for each topic :P

is it the approaches to abnormality therapies that are causing you trouble? or stress?
(therapies are almost the only thing i can remember off by heart :P )

and 12 marker... our psychology teacher wont say anything, she cant predict. i hope it is one of the approaches though, im useless at the other 2 topics -.-
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
Might be on stress and could involve hardiness training since that's been put on the spec.
Hopefully it wont be on Ash and zimbardo, don't really like those two.
I think the new spec leaves out individual differences or how individual differences helps against conformity. But not too sure
Or like megfashion said, therapies, which I also really like. Honestly just revise everything and hope for the best :/
Reply 199
Stresssss is huge :lol:

I'm splitting it up into 3 parts and learning the 3 parts individually since it'll be easier to learn like that, then as one wholeee huge chunk :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending