The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by cdoyle
Right stress as a 12 marker it is then. I am planning on starting this module tonight. PSYA1 is killing me. do we really need to know the year of the research

Nopes :smile: And we don't really need to know the name of the researcher either but it helps. You can put 'A researcher conducted a study into obedience...' and aslong you're accurate with the study, you shouldn't drop marks? Knowing the name obviously helps but we not knowing the date of a study won't lead to dropped marks :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by cdoyle
Right stress as a 12 marker it is then. I am planning on starting this module tonight. PSYA1 is killing me. do we really need to know the year of the research

NOPE I never quote dates and I managed to get an A for my psya1 :redface:
Reply 82
Thanks guys! Much more positive now!!
Reply 83
Outline and evaluate the psychodynamic approach to psychopathology
Freud suggested that the basic principle of the psychodynamic approach assumes that adult behaviour reflects complex and dynamic interactions between the conscious and unconscious processes from birth onwards. He uses an iceberg as a representation of the human mind which consists of the superego, ego and id. All of which have been present since birth.
He argued that an individual’s abnormal behaviour is determined by underlying psychological conflicts in the unconscious usually from childhood which leads to that memory being repressed using the defence mechanisms. If defence mechanisms are unable to repress these conflicts from the ego it can usually lead to abnormal behaviour.

He also believed that fixation at any of the psychosexual development (oral, anal or phallic) stage could lead to further abnormal behaviour psychological problems. Fixation at the oral stage can later develop into overdependence and over indulgence such as smoking etc. Fixation at the anal stage can develop into obsessive compulsive disorders and perhaps obsession with hygiene. Lastly fixation at the phallic stage can lead to amoral and antisocial tendencies.

Freud was the first to emphasise the importance of unconscious processes in childhood and adult behaviour. The idea that adult behaviour is closely linked to childhood experiences is supported by Ainsworth. This supports the model of abnormality.
Also this is the only approach to focus on the underlying causes of the disorders rather than the symptoms they create. This approach believes abnormality is the result of hidden things in the unconscious, and tries to uncover what is hidden. By attempting to deal with the cause, longer-lasting recovery is more possible.
However this approach heavily focuses on abstract concepts such as the superego, ego and id and therefore making them difficult to define. Because actions motivated by them are at the unconscious it is not certain that they are occurring.
This has been suggested by some research that has attempted to test Freud's predictions experimentally; however they are difficult to prove or even disprove. This is because if behaviour shown is predicted by Freud it supports the model however even if it doesn’t match the predictions it could be down to individual differences. Therefore this is a significant limitation to the model.
Overall it is a humane and ethical approach as it puts no blame on the patient as they cannot be held responsible for their childhood experiences. Not to mention the therapy used has been highly effective with percentage rates of 80%.

sorry to ask again, could anyone mark this?
Reply 84
I HATE social influence. I don't have a clue what the specification means by 'the role of minority influence in social change' since my textbook has NOTHING on it >.>
Original post by Deyesy
I HATE social influence. I don't have a clue what the specification means by 'the role of minority influence in social change' since my textbook has NOTHING on it >.>

Stuff like not smoking. A few years ago, people who thought smoking was bad for you were way in the minority. Over the years people came to realise it can lead to lung cancer etc and now a lot of people believe it's bad, resulting in smoking bans and no adverts for it etc.

My book has 2 studies on it;

Moscovici (1969)

8% of Ps in groups containing a minority or confederates who consistently called blue slides green agreed with this wrong answer.

only 1% in gorups containing confederates who inconsistently did so, indicating consistency as the important variable.

Martin (2003)

found messages supported by aminority group were more resistant to change than if they were supported by a majority group.

This suggests that cognitive processing of minority opnions leads to attitudes resistant to counter-persuasion and illustrates how minority opinion is strong enough a force to lead to social change.
Original post by Deyesy
Nopes :smile: And we don't really need to know the name of the researcher either but it helps. You can put 'A researcher conducted a study into obedience...' and aslong you're accurate with the study, you shouldn't drop marks? Knowing the name obviously helps but we not knowing the date of a study won't lead to dropped marks :smile:

Although it does usually help to know which came first. Thinking back to attachment, Bowlby used data from Harlow and Lorenz didn't he. So you'd have to at least know which came first even if you didn't know the date, else your answer wouldn't make sense and would be wrong if you said that Harlow and lorenz based their work on Bowlbys earlier theory.
Reply 87
Does anyone know if we have to learn research into type a personality and hardiness for stress? or just evaluate them as theories? :smile:
Reply 88
do we need to quote a researcher in every single question? to be in with a chance of an A/B grade.
Reply 89
Does anyone have the jan 2012 paper for this unit?
Reply 91
I think the grade boundaries will be lower for this exam as I've heard it's normally harder than PSYA1 in which I managed to JUST get a B in! Although I thought it was easy the grade boundaries must have been really high. Anyone got any good notes they can upload?
Reply 93
Does anyone have any revision cards/notes for the three 3 topics, as all my booklets are confusing that I was given. If so please let me via personal message. Thanks!!!!
Reply 94
Found this thread with really detailed notes for all three topics, really helpful! :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1664763
Reply 95
Any ideas for the 12marker for this exam. pm or reply on here with any guesses/suggestions. thanks
So many ****ing studies.

Did Rahe use a sample size of 2,700 navy men or 2,500? My AQA text books differ lol
Original post by Id and Ego seek
So many ****ing studies.

Did Rahe use a sample size of 2,700 navy men or 2,500? My AQA text books differ lol

Doesn't really matter, tbh; either should be fine.
Reply 98
Original post by nm786
if anyone wants revision notes for this exam then please see attached:
(These notes are not the same as those seen from other threads)

and good luck everyone!!!

+Rep for that sir. I'll be using the stress ones ^^ Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by Deyesy
+Rep for that sir. I'll be using the stress ones ^^ Thank you very much :smile:

you're welcome. :hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending