The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Yeah time was the main problem i did finish a few minutes early because i couldnt think of what to write :/
Reply 1381
Original post by Heretic
What did people write for negatives of using case studies?

I said something about how they might not be relevant because of different time periods :/

can't generalise to others:smile:
Original post by Heretic

I said something about how they might not be relevant because of different time periods :/

They focus on one atypical person. This means that results can't be generalsied to anyone else.

Was the question just about negatives of them? Cos I'm sure I mentioned something about psychologists being able to study natural experiements that are unethical to purposely carry out.
Reply 1383
Would my answer likely get any marks?
Original post by Dpdr
Well yes SAM and HPA are completely different. But I'm sure 1a) was for HPA and 1b) was for SAM. What you wrote in your original post was stating you didn't write about the HPA for 1a?

Look:

IMAG0887.jpg

I know HPA and SAM are different I'm not retarded!!

Clearly your not reading my posts right.

1a asked us to outline the pituitary adrenal system, NOT HPA.
1b asked us to outline the Sympathomedullary Pathway i.e SAM

For the last time, I got taught HPA is a response to stress like SAM is, cos those are the 2 pathways, but the pituitary-adrenal system is NOT a pathway, which is why it was referred to as a system.

Don't hate, it's what I got taught. Snm.
Reply 1385
Original post by Tim Kelly
Is it just me or was that quite a hard exam, not in subject matter; just the ridiculous amount of longer-answer questions...?

well i wansn't entirely sure how many 12 markers there were when i started so...:smile:
Original post by Dpdr
Well yes SAM and HPA are completely different. But I'm sure 1a) was for HPA and 1b) was for SAM. What you wrote in your original post was stating you didn't write about the HPA for 1a?

Look:

IMAG0887.jpg

And compared to what we both said earlier:

We're discussing whether HPA/PAS is different (which they're not) . They're both completely different to SAM.
For the questionnaire one i wasnt too sure, wrote about how the questionnaires have closed questions and collect quantitive rather than qualitive data and that in an interview it is face to face interviewers have the opportunity to assess things such as finger tapping and body language like Friedman and Rosenman did. Is this right?
Reply 1388
Original post by Heretic

I wrote that since it's based on one person it cannot be generalised to the whole population
Original post by rac1
well i wansn't entirely sure how many 12 markers there were when i started so...:smile:

There's only ever one at AS on each paper. Although I think the amount of 6/8/10 markers can vary. But I don't think there is both a 8 and 10.
Reply 1390
Original post by Clare~Bear
They focus on one atypical person. This means that results can't be generalsied to anyone else.

Was the question just about negatives of them? Cos I'm sure I mentioned something about psychologists being able to study natural experiements that are unethical to purposely carry out.
I can't remember the actual question but it was something along the lines of why they wouldn't be good to use in research...
Reply 1391
Original post by biology.psychology
For the questionnaire one i wasnt too sure, wrote about how the questionnaires have closed questions and collect quantitive rather than qualitive data and that in an interview it is face to face interviewers have the opportunity to assess things such as finger tapping and body language like Friedman and Rosenman did. Is this right?

I did about the same thing :smile:
Reply 1392
Oh. I didn't know case studies were only based on one person.
We're discussing whether HPA/PAS is different (which they're not) . They're both completely different to SAM.

Why are you bringing SAM into this? I know they're both different to SAM.

All I said was I got taught HPA and PAS are different things, but they are very similar. End of jheez.
Original post by biology.psychology

I put about lieing in questions due to social desirability. Plus how in the interview, how you answer questions and your genereal behaviour is assessed ie if you're relaxed. Which wouldn't come across in a questionnaire.
Reply 1395
There's only ever one at AS on each paper. Although I think the amount of 6/8/10 markers can vary. But I don't think there is both a 8 and 10.

yeah:smile:
Original post by Heretic
Oh. I didn't know case studies were only based on one person.

They are based on one person or a small group :smile:
I loved that exam. :biggrin:

How else did we find it?
Reply 1398
who else NEARLY forgot to do the question on the back page?
realised when i was checking through - thank god i did!!!

Also, if you only mention Asch but in lots of detail both in A02 and A01 can you still get 12 marks?
Reply 1399
I found the exam pretty good.

On the 12 marker, I did Asch, and his variations, and then also Atvgis's meta-analysis into how locus of control has a positive correlation of 0.37 with conformity. Just wondering if that is actually relevant? No-one else seems to have done it, but it is research into conformity. Just one particular thing that effects it?

When I opened the page and saw that first question I was SO happy, I had literally just memorized both those systems! The only question I got a bit mixed up on was the evaluation of the psychodynamic treatment.

I put - It focuses on the cause of the disorder, not just on the symptoms
- It has been proven effective, and research has suggested it lasts longer than drugs

- It is expensive, and time consuming
- It requires the person to be articulate
- As the data is qualititive it is open to interpretation, and the psychologist can interperet it wrong.

I felt like I might have gotten mixed up with the eval of other treatments :smile:

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending