The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

I know a kid who writes 1 page (maybe 1/4 more) per essay. Gets 20+ everytime.

100% in his mock.

If you are writing more than 800 words you are doing it badly.
does anyone have any AO2 for the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour?? I'm completely stressing!

Also, is anyone else using the complete companion psychology A2 book? (it has a dog on the front) cause i don't think it's useful AT ALL.
Original post by acedlol
I know a kid who writes 1 page (maybe 1/4 more) per essay. Gets 20+ everytime.

100% in his mock.

If you are writing more than 800 words you are doing it badly.

really? one of my teachers says to always write more, because if you cut things down theres a risk of losing marks.
Mind you, my class arent very concise writers haha :P
Biological Rhythms - Endogenous pacemakers.

Do you actually have to know where the SCN is? -.-'
Reply 1984
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Do you have any IDAs for the gender schema theory?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

Hiya! you can say it ignored nature factors in explaining gender development - reducationist (even though it includes SLT) - the theory fails to provide an interactionist viewpoint concerning the multitude of factors that are involved in determining an individuals gender.
Also, regarding the influence of nurture, different cultures arnt considered like the effect on gender behaviour and activities. I hope this helps!
Anyone have any research for the hormonal factors of aggression? I think I'm missing some...*points to blank pages* :redface:
Original post by CollateralElement
Anyone have any research for the hormonal factors of aggression? I think I'm missing some...*points to blank pages* :redface:

testosterone - research found that after swabbing some prison inmates, those who had done violent crimes had high levels of testosterone, and those who had done non-violent crimes had low levels.

Cortisol - low levels of cortisol were found in violent offenders and violent school children

Hope this helps, these are the only ones i'm learning :smile:
Reply 1987
Help for bio explanations for Anorexia........ STRESSING ME OUT
what IDA points are there for cultural differences in relationships?!!
Original post by huni7
Help for bio explanations for Anorexia........ STRESSING ME OUT

what do you need help on? im stressing out too!
Original post by elsie-n
Does anyone have any predictions for Aggression and Biological Rhythms?
And I'm completely lost to what A03 actually is, I know its determinism and reductionist ect, but i have no idea what they all actually mean?

Predictions:
Aggression - SLT & Deindividuation 4 marker/Genetics essay
Biological rhythms - Circadian/Ultradian/Infradian rhythms, possibly restoration theory

Determinism = eg. genetics - suggests that you WILL have a disorder etc if you have the gene.

Reductionist = ignores other aspects, a combination of approaches are probably more accurate to explain life in general. Eg. biological explanations ignore psychological explanations

For AO3 you can also mention laboratory experiments and evaluate them, especially for biological explanations. You can also mention animal studies (and how the findings can't be generalised to humans), or ethical issues with the area of research in general
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by -Tiffany-
Hello, I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on the possibility of a ultradrian / infradian question for sleep as it is on the spec ...:confused:

my friend really thinks its going to come up! either that or insomnia (shes been through alllllll the past papers)
Reply 1992
Original post by KDudley
Hi,
this may have been mentioned before but i really don't have the energy to read through.
Can anyone who is doing aggression tell me the difference between Bandura and Walters study in 1963 and Bandura's study in 1965?!
I am getting very confused and everyone seems to be giving me different information.

Thanks in advance!

Bandura did the original study with 72 children with two conditions, one in which a model was observed behaving aggressively towards the bobo doll, and the other where the model ignored the doll. The children in the aggressive condition closely imitated the behaviour demonstrating learning through observation.
Bandura and Walters did a later study (1973) where the adult behaved aggressively towards the bobo doll and was either punished or rewarded (or neither.) The children who saw the model being punished performed the fewest aggressive behaviours demonstrating vicarious reinforcement, that children observe the consequences of others' behaviour.
Original post by Harrimusic
testosterone - research found that after swabbing some prison inmates, those who had done violent crimes had high levels of testosterone, and those who had done non-violent crimes had low levels.

Cortisol - low levels of cortisol were found in violent offenders and violent school children

Hope this helps, these are the only ones i'm learning :smile:

Oh. Ok. I've got the Testosterone one but can you explain the Cortisol research? I'd like to know it fully enough for evaluation etc. Please?
does anyone have any ideas as to what might come up for relationships, eating disorders and sleep?
Original post by misslaura_bee
what IDA points are there for cultural differences in relationships?!!

holism - because it takes into account all cultures
nature/nurture because its culture is passed down through generations
thats all i can think of off the top of my head (this probably isn't boding well)
Hi there, I just wanted to ask you a quick question regarding PSYA3. I was looking at the june 2011 PSYA3 paper at question 2 (http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PSYA3-W-QP-JUN11.PDF) and it stated that it is worth (16 marks). I am confused as to what this means in terms of how much I should write in relation to A01 and A02/3, as normally the marks are laid using the format (9marks + 16 marks), which is 9 marks for A01 and 16 for A02/3. Please could you help explain this too me, it would be much appreciated!

Thankyou!
Original post by Harrimusic
holism - because it takes into account all cultures
nature/nurture because its culture is passed down through generations
thats all i can think of off the top of my head (this probably isn't boding well)

Thank you :-)

Also there is imposed etic, because researchers, such as Buss, apply western methodologies to non western cultures. :-)
Original post by CollateralElement
Oh. Ok. I've got the Testosterone one but can you explain the Cortisol research? I'd like to know it fully enough for evaluation etc. Please?

low levels of cortisol increase levels of testosterone which causes aggression, so these two kind of go hand in hand

They measured the levels of cortisol in male violent offenders and male schoolchildren, and found that the most violent had low levels of cortisol

the fact that they were all male is a good evaluation point, gender bias etc
Reply 1999
If discuss is used in an 8 mark question do they just want A01 or do they want A02/A03? Because I've only saw the word discuss used in like a big essay question where they want both

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending