The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2980
Original post by av_kidd
Ah thanks! :smile:
What do you mean by synpotic issues? Ah yeah those are good points, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah me either as they've already asked for 'one psychological theory of aggression' - but I'm hoping they ask for 'theories' plural, so yeah i'd talk about deindividuation too, would I still be able to access top marks if I wrote more about SLT? Or would I have to write equal amounts for both theories?

Synoptic issues are kind of like IDAs. I've been taught that they're aspects such as laboratory environments (which you included), but yeah just IDA's really so cultural bias, gender bias etc.
Reply 2981
Original post by Smarty967
we've been told split it 4 +8, 4 +8 for 2, but then i've done essays heavily on SLT then one paragraph ao1 deindividuation, then a study and criticisms as a second paragraph for Ao2 and still got high marks on it, so yeah aslong as you include both, i don't think it matters if it's top heavy

Ah awesome, thanks for that! :smile:
Original post by AnonymousJT
Hello!
I was just going through my notes and I came across bio model of aggression (Hormones/Neurotransmitters/Genes) I was wondering, because I dont know genes as much, could they ask just about genes and not about the whole bio model?

Yeah, it's possible they could ask a question like "Describe and evaluate the genetic explanation of aggression".

There's not TOO much to learn on that I don't think though :s I'd cram it to be safe! I can PM you an example essay on it if you want.
3000 posts!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2984
Original post by hhh123
Synoptic issues are kind of like IDAs. I've been taught that they're aspects such as laboratory environments (which you included), but yeah just IDA's really so cultural bias, gender bias etc.

Ohh right I get you now, sorry my teacher never used the terms IDA's or synoptic issues so started to worry for a second there! :tongue:

Ah that's alright then, love SLT and Bandura's bobo doll study as there's so much you can criticise :tongue:
Original post by swiftylol
Actually that's wrong.

Evol theorists predict that babies sleeping for 16 hours takes pressure off the parents.

The 50% REM sleep thing is due to babies needing more brain development, which is what usually occurs in REM.

it's still a ridiculous idea. my notes say 'all this sleep is designed to take the pressure off parents' etc. my misunderstanding
Reply 2986
IDEAL PAPER:

Sleep

- Outline circadian rhythms - 5 marks
- Outline and evaluate research in to insomnia - 4 + 16

(Lifespan changes would be fine too)

Eating

- Outline a biological explanation of obesity - 4 marks
- Outline and evaluate success and failure - 4 + 16

( I wouldn't mind a whole question on either obesity or success and failure.)

Aggression

- Outline the SLT - 4 marks
- Outline and evaluate genes - 4 + 16.

However this is wishful thinking!
Original post by pete clark
its very scientific, i love it. unlike rubbish evo theories!

atleast it's fact rather than a guessing game!
I did this exam in January and understand how hard it is, just want to say good luck for tomorrow! You'll be fine. :smile:
i'd swap SLT and genes round, and obesity for anorexia.. but that seems an absolutely amazing paper!
Reply 2990
Original post by :)J
I think so too! or GST - but i hope its not one w/ Kohlberg, or that would suck.

Do you know if they can ask a question about dysphoria on its own?

I wouldve thought so! x
Original post by Naf*
Well I've done like functionalism
Marxism and feminism and got other stuff to learn too and memorising my psychology notes is taking forever coz I started memorising aggression and just finished social learning theory still gta memorise the whole of the other two topics plus finish this eughhhhhh the joys of psycjilogy

Fml, I'm going to have less than two days to revise for sociology. I hate psychology!
Original post by Louismoore16
thanks. For people to contrast, my psychology teachs have predicted:
sleep: restoration explanation of sleep, sleep disorders
relationships: sexual selection
eating: biological explanation of eating disorder

however i have also made notes on parental investment,cultures on relationships, food preferences and attitudes to food

food preferences came up last June and attitudes came up the year before, then June 2012 was explanations for one eating disorder, failure/success was 2010 aswell. i have no idea what to think about it.
Reply 2993
AO2/IDAS for the restoration theory anyone?
Why would they ask you a 24 marker on a Specific Social psychological theory??? They don't do that. Or would they? I don't think so :confused:
Reply 2995
Did the Peter Tripp case study have different findings to Randy Gardner?
Original post by SecretCircus
Fml, I'm going to have less than two days to revise for sociology. I hate psychology!

are you guys doing media for sociology?
food preferences came up last June and attitudes came up the year before, then June 2012 was explanations for one eating disorder, failure/success was 2010 aswell. i have no idea what to think about it.

Really. I never thought they might come up in this exam, i just made note on them to cover my self.

if im correct (and i may be wrong) neuromechanism (spelling?) came up in the last 2 exams (or roughly that) so AQA can always just ask stuff that has been asked recently, depending on how well people done on it

No, only psych explanations for 1 eating disorder came up, evolutionary and biological explanations for it haven't been asked yet.
And the June 2012 paper was to do with neural mechanisms.
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Why would they ask you a 24 marker on a Specific Social psychological theory??? They don't do that. Or would they? I don't think so :confused:

This has been asked before and I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The spec says "for example, social learning theory, deindividuation". If they could ask a specific question, then it would say "including"! :smile:!

Original post by hhh123
Did the Peter Tripp case study have different findings to Randy Gardner?

Peter Tripp had negative effects after his sleep deprivation. Family members said that his personality just wasn't the same. Randy Gardner, on the other hand, was perfectly fine after sleeping for 14 hours (and then a further 10 the night after). Both can be used to evaluate the Resoration Theory! :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending