The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Quick Q guys - in Biorhythms & Sleep, could we get asked a 24/20/16 marker on a SPECIFIC function of sleep theory? For instance 'Outline and evaluate the restoration theory of sleep. (25 marks)' (an example Q from the Holt and Lewis revision guide...)

I really hope not because there's no way in hell I could do that in such depth!
Dear PSYA3

I hate you.

Regards. Alex
Original post by Hasmyradiobroken?
Does anyone have any notes on the "Explanations for sleep disorders, including insomnia, sleep walking and narcolepsy"?

If not, quick question; would the AO1 of such a question just be identifying the possible explanations (e.g. psychological/biochemical) and then evaluating these explanations as AO2?

The reason I ask is that the textbooks seem to have description of the actual disorders. Looking at the spec, I wouldn't have thought we'd need to actually learn in full detail primary and secondary insomnia. Do correct me if wrong.

Many thanks!

Original post by Mmrawrr
I am having the exact same problem. What's with the textbooks proper going into detail about what these sleep disorders are, instead of elaborating on the explanations -__-

If we get these I'll be writing a brief explanation of what the disorder is, then explaining the factors that cause the disorders.
I've put my causes and evaluation under a spoiler because there's quite a lot.

Spoiler

I hope this helps! I don't know if this enough information or too much, but I guess it will help in some way :smile:
If either of you have anything on exogenous factors for circadian rhythms I'd be very grateful?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1023
Please help: For aggression: can we get asked specifically, about seretonin, dopamine, or brain structure. and for eating: can we get asked specifically, about genetic, evolutionary, or neural explanations of eating disorders?

Or would it just be more generally: neural/hormonal or biological/psychological
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Grace*
Please help: For aggression: can we get asked specifically, about seretonin, dopamine, or brain structure. and for eating: can we get asked specifically, about genetic, evolutionary, or neural explanations of eating disorders?

Or would it just be more generally: neural/hormonal or biological/psychological

I am pretty sure that neural and hormonal are lumped together, and then genetics can be asked by itself :smile: Do you have any idea about whether theories of sleep can be asked about separately as big evaluative Qs?
Reply 1025
Original post by Dollyandra
I am pretty sure that neural and hormonal are lumped together, and then genetics can be asked by itself :smile: Do you have any idea about whether theories of sleep can be asked about separately as big evaluative Qs?

Thankyou :smile: sorry i don't do sleep! but i know for my topics, you can get just pure evaluation questions (not 24 marks though)
Anyone else who feels like super confident on relationships, but a little bit weak on the others!

Hardcore week of revising, :biggrin: e-revision buddies anyone!
Aggression, Relationships, Sleepy.
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Sent you an essay on sexual selection :smile:

Could you send it me please too! I'd much appreciate that :-)
Original post by alexissocool
Could you send it me please too! I'd much appreciate that :-)

Sent :smile:
Reply 1029
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Anyone else who feels like super confident on relationships, but a little bit weak on the others!

Hardcore week of revising, :biggrin: e-revision buddies anyone!
Aggression, Relationships, Sleepy.

Yep relationships are such easy standard questions but aggression is horrible and eating is pretty bad too :frown:
Original post by annagoesbroom
If we get these I'll be writing a brief explanation of what the disorder is, then explaining the factors that cause the disorders.

Spoiler

I hope this helps! I don't know if this enough information or too much, but I guess it will help in some way :smile:
If either of you have anything on exogenous factors for circadian rhythms I'd be very grateful?

Thank you!
I'm afraid this whole topic is my weakest out of the 3 I am doing, but this is what I have:
AO1 - Siffre - changed from 24 hour to 25 hour cycle - suggests that light acts as one of many exogenous zeitgebers to regulate circadian rhythms.
Then AO2 - Foulkard - supports idea that control is exogenous.

Could also use Miles - case of blind man - found it difficult to maintain a regular sleep-wake cycle - suggests that light is an exogenous zeitgeber.

I don't really have exogenous and endogenous separately, my essay more intertwines the two of them and how they interact (so I hope they don't ask for just one without the other!).

Hope this helped somewhat, sorry it's not much but I don't think they'd ask more than a few marks on JUST exogenous :smile:.
Original post by StitchMad
Hey,
I'm wondering if anyone could outline some of the things for Evolutionary Explanations of Aggression? I have my notes, but I'm just wanting to double check that I'm on the right track with it because mine seem to be focused more on protecting females, which seems to have quite a bit of content from the Relationships topic.

I'm also wondering if someone could highlight some bits for the circadian, infridian, and ultradian rhythms part. I think I'm fine with endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers but that seems to be centred around circadian rhythms alone?

Thanks! :smile:

Gonna put these under spoiler tags again because I've got quite a lot of notes.

For evolutionary explanation of human aggression:

Spoiler

Then we need to focus on infidelity and jealousy as well - let me know if you want any of that? :smile:

For Ultradian Rhythms:

Spoiler

Wow okay I didn't intend to write that much. Still, it's all revision :smile: Hope it helps!

Oh, and I believe that if we get asked about exogenous factors on "one or more bio rhythms" you can bring in pheromones affecting menstruation for that question. However, please could you give me any notes on exogenous factors on circadian rhythms? My notes on this are terrible.
Reply 1032

Spoiler

Your insomnia work is so different to mine :s-smilie:

I have mainly focused on the causes/explanations such as personality and sleep apnoea. Is this right :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
As I've been asked for notes on circadian, ultradian, and infradian, and two essays on maintenance and sexual selection.

:smile: Enjoy.
Original post by hhh123

I have mainly focused on the causes/explanations such as personality and sleep apnoea. Is this right :s-smilie:

I'm pretty sure personality/sleep aponoea is also right, I had notes on both of those as well but by the time I'd written all the stuff I posted I thought I had enough to write an essay so I just left it at that. I just prefer the biological approach. There are tons of different explanations for everything so don't worry, both of those are valid :smile:
Reply 1035
I'm pretty sure personality/sleep aponoea is also right, I had notes on both of those as well but by the time I'd written all the stuff I posted I thought I had enough to write an essay so I just left it at that. I just prefer the biological approach. There are tons of different explanations for everything so don't worry, both of those are valid :smile:

Thank you! Also do you feel that we could get asked a 24 marker on insomnia alone :s-smilie:

Original post by hhh123

hi, for insomnia you should be learning it in two classifications. Primary and secondary insomnia. Then learn the explanations of why these occur.
Reply 1037
Original post by SashaLuLu
hi, for insomnia you should be learning it in two classifications. Primary and secondary insomnia. Then learn the explanations of why these occur.

As far as I was aware primary insomnia had no specific cause, and therefore there can't be an explanation? And then for secondary I assumed the causes/explanations were personality and sleep apnoea or RLS?

Original post by hhh123
Thank you! Also do you feel that we could get asked a 24 marker on insomnia alone :s-smilie:

I hope not :/ There has been a question asking to outline an explanation for narcolepsy alone (January 2012), but that was only 4 marks. The other question on sleep disorders was just for "one or more" so I don't think so. You never know with AQA though :frown: This is what I hate most about this exam! Never know what's going to come up.
Reply 1039
I hope not :/ There has been a question asking to outline an explanation for narcolepsy alone (January 2012), but that was only 4 marks. The other question on sleep disorders was just for "one or more" so I don't think so. You never know with AQA though :frown: This is what I hate most about this exam! Never know what's going to come up.

I have a feeling sleep disorders could come up if the narcolepsy question was answered poorly by candidates in jan :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending