The Student Room Group

Higher French Discussion Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I recently did my speaking and got 20/25.. it's good, but I'm pretty gutted because I was predicted 25! it didn't go well in the exam room, I think I'd over-practiced so the wrong words and pronunciations just came out of my head, even though it was right in my head! I ended up crying at the end ahaha, my teacher wasn't happy with me either...
Reply 81
Original post by rawragee
I recently did my speaking and got 20/25.. it's good, but I'm pretty gutted because I was predicted 25! it didn't go well in the exam room, I think I'd over-practiced so the wrong words and pronunciations just came out of my head, even though it was right in my head! I ended up crying at the end ahaha, my teacher wasn't happy with me either...

Well done! 20 might not have been what you were looking for but its still really good and hey, now you've got 20% out of the way and you only need another 50 marks for an A :biggrin:

My teacher isn''t telling us our speaking marks until after our French exam (and my Spanish teacher's doing the same..) Which is annoying as it means we still have weeeks till we can find out, anyone else's teachers doing the same? Or does everyone know?
Reply 82
Original post by Kerrias
Well done! 20 might not have been what you were looking for but its still really good and hey, now you've got 20% out of the way and you only need another 50 marks for an A :biggrin:

My teacher isn''t telling us our speaking marks until after our French exam (and my Spanish teacher's doing the same..) Which is annoying as it means we still have weeeks till we can find out, anyone else's teachers doing the same? Or does everyone know?

yeah, I am happy(ish) overall, however it's a bit gutting knowing that that's 5% gone that I can never get back :tongue:
oooh that would be annoying! I guess they're doing it so you don't get complacent and stop working? It's probably better that way, loads of people in my class are slacking now..
Reply 83
Well done, that's great! I got 20/25 too, I would have been disappointed with anything below 20 but would have liked to get 22. I wish I had practiced a little more and I think it was my pronunciation that let me down too. Atleast its 80% which I am still pleased with as it is an A :smile:
Hey! I got 23/ 25 in my speaking. I am quite happy with that, however i did revise a lot for it and was hoping for the exclusive 25 but sadly wasn't to be......

So , how is everybody revising for the exam?

For:

Reading: Past Papers? French Newspapers?

Directed Writing: Past PApers again? Using Various tenses

Short Essay: Have an essay for everything, Past Papers?

Listening: Heres the toughie, There is only a certain amount of past papers on the go, and scholar isn't that helpful with the questions side as the questions are multiple choice. And radio and songs are too off topic, i want something with family and health and Holidays, not on french politics and economy.

How is everybody getting on with therevision for the exam on the 24th( i think)?
Reply 85
Original post by animelover123
Hey! I got 23/ 25 in my speaking. I am quite happy with that, however i did revise a lot for it and was hoping for the exclusive 25 but sadly wasn't to be......

So , how is everybody revising for the exam?

For:

Reading: Past Papers? French Newspapers?

Directed Writing: Past PApers again? Using Various tenses

Short Essay: Have an essay for everything, Past Papers?

Listening: Heres the toughie, There is only a certain amount of past papers on the go, and scholar isn't that helpful with the questions side as the questions are multiple choice. And radio and songs are too off topic, i want something with family and health and Holidays, not on french politics and economy.

How is everybody getting on with therevision for the exam on the 24th( i think)?

congrats! 23 is great :biggrin:
my revision for French - so far I've done none, I will admit to being a bit complacent in doing past papers as it's my second last exam and I feel it's a bit easier to absorb French nearer the time..
however my revision plan will be:
Reading - just reading short texts from french magazine websites and news websites
Directed Writing - I'm planning on memorising set phrases for each general area, then doing it in short bursts (i.e writing a random bullet point for myself, then writing it and going over my mistakes

Short essay - just doing verb and tense practice and gender practices (I always get marked down majorly for getting this wrong :P )
Listening - my teacher recommends listening to French weather broadcasts as they talk really quickly, also listening to interviews between French people (musicians, actors etc) so you get used to a range of accents and speeds :smile:

hope this may help someone!
congrats! 23 is great :biggrin:
my revision for French - so far I've done none, I will admit to being a bit complacent in doing past papers as it's my second last exam and I feel it's a bit easier to absorb French nearer the time..
however my revision plan will be:
Reading - just reading short texts from french magazine websites and news websites
Directed Writing - I'm planning on memorising set phrases for each general area, then doing it in short bursts (i.e writing a random bullet point for myself, then writing it and going over my mistakes

Short essay - just doing verb and tense practice and gender practices (I always get marked down majorly for getting this wrong :P )
Listening - my teacher recommends listening to French weather broadcasts as they talk really quickly, also listening to interviews between French people (musicians, actors etc) so you get used to a range of accents and speeds :smile:

hope this may help someone!

Thank You! For me, i have not that much revision for French either i have just organised stuff to revise. My plan is to do a listening a day, becuae i got 5/20 on the prelim, which is a big problem. My bis problem in french is accents, my teacher is getting fed up with my misplacement or rather lack of placement of accents :P
How is the revision going?

Well mines is kinda slooow:colondollar: done a couple passed papers but really need to start nailing the listening:confused::angry:

What's are you all doing to help

Really want a B so any tips will be greatly appreciated:smile:
Reply 88
I haven't posted in this for months :redface:

How's everyone feeling? 6 days to go!

I still haven't had my speaking back! D: we got told a month ago that we'd get them on our study day which is Tuesday but I think they said that to shut us up and they hoped we'd forget, lucky I haven't forgotten ;D
Reply 89
I got an A in speaking so does anyone know what I need to get in the other parts to get an overall A?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 90
I find French pretty straightforward, so not really worrying about. Got maths before on Monday so focusing on that!

I got full marks for my speaking, so that should help my grade :smile:

Reply 91
I love French and it's by far my easiest subject so I'm leaving revision until after maths on monday. I got 20/25 on my speaking which I'm still gutted about aha, just hoping I can do well enough to not need that 5%!
Reply 92
I love French and it's by far my easiest subject so I'm leaving revision until after maths on monday. I got 20/25 on my speaking which I'm still gutted about aha, just hoping I can do well enough to not need that 5%!

That's same as me. Looking forward to a fairly easy exam for a change haha :smile: I'm sure that 5% won't do much difference, at least you've got 20% already :smile:

Reply 93
Does anyone have any good websites where I can practise listening?

Reply 94
Original post by Scrabble96
Does anyone have any good websites where I can practise listening?

I have been listening to the French radio le mouv. They speak pretty fast but just catching the odd word is pretty good.

And a friend told me about the website News in Slow French which is really good.. because it is slow!
Reply 95
Original post by auberjean
I have been listening to the French radio le mouv. They speak pretty fast but just catching the odd word is pretty good.

And a friend told me about the website News in Slow French which is really good.. because it is slow!

Great, thanks! Good luck on Thursday! :smile: :smile:

Reply 96
Original post by Scrabble96
Great, thanks! Good luck on Thursday! :smile: :smile:

No problem at all! Good luck to you, too :biggrin:
Hey, this is a bit late, considering the exam is tomorrow... But does anyone know anything for the Personal Response/Short Essay/Writing ? I've spent so much time on Directed Writing and Listening that I can't remember anything!! :confused:
Reply 98
Does the higher french A mark ever change from 70% ? My exam is tomorrow and I haven't looked over my essays yet haha.

Reply 99
This sun definitely isn't helping me pass French :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending