The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: Spy It... Buy It?

Scroll to see replies

Did a bit of food shopping yesterday in preparation for uni, I didn't get anything interesting to speak of, except for this:

uploadfromtaptalk1347968408110.jpg

I bought it purely for the price (already in the student mindset :wink:), but tried some and OMG IT'S THE BEST ORANGE SQUASH I'VE EVER TASTED. It's really strange because the consistency is like a syrup, but it's so sweet and actually tastes of oranges as opposed to that unidentifiable citrusy taste Robinsons has. WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

I also spied an ASDA Smart Price swiss roll for 25p, but I did not buy because the whole thing (and it aint big) contains 200%of your RDA sugar. How can that be legal???

Original post by TotoMimo
SPIED DID BUY: Oh, a little thing called WOTSITS WAFFLERS!!! THEYRE BAAACK!!!

I literally let out a squeal when I saw this - where did you see them? They were my favourite crisps ever when I was young.
Reply 781
I brought some of the Wotsits wafflers from Poundland a few weeks ago.I also saw them in my local Home Bargains yesterday.
Aww man, don't think there's a Poundland within 5 miles of me... :frown: I like the crisps, but not enough to travel 5 miles to get them.
Reply 783
The Wotsits Wafflers Pink one WAS Bacon m'dearie-hearies.

SPIED DID BUY. NEWCASTLE GRAINGER MARKET ADVENTURES:

Montezuma's limited edition range; £2.45 a pop!! Better be worth it considering the Hotel Chocolat Shop is literally minutes away...

SPIED DID NOT BUY. NEWCASTLE GRAINGER MARKET ASIAN FIZZY DRINKS SHOP FAIL:

There was also "Bird's Nest Drink" and something called "Nice Nice". Ominous.
Reply 784

The idea SOUNDS amazing, I'm hoping the execution is too. Too many times I go for these things and they just taste like broken dreams and failed hopes. :biggrin:

Today I bought the Muller Rice Apple Strudel. Update tomorrow as to what it's like!
Reply 785
**I only bought the spotted dick and Eton Mess bars. Tell me how the SHHHTRUUUDEL rice is!

You should've bought them for reviewing.
Reply 787
**I only bought the spotted dick and Eton Mess bars. Tell me how the SHHHTRUUUDEL rice is!

It'll be my first point of call post consumption :smile: i decided against maple syrup, seemed a tad boring really! I can and do make that with normal rice pud!
Reply 788
SPIED AND BOUGHT FOR ME LUNCH:

BOOTS THAI TIGER PRAWN, EGG NOODLE AND EDAMAME SALAD

Boots do some amazing salads really, and I can't fathom how they keep them so damned healthy and low fat to be honest. I'm working my way through them; my number one is still the Tandoori Chicken and Mango salad (which has mixed leaves, tandoori chicken, mango chunks, red onion, a lime wedge, yoghurt and cucumber raita and a cute wee mini onion bhaji for a ridiculous 116 cal count), but their Feta Olive and Seared Chicken and Olive Noodle salad are equally great.

This one is probably number two on my faves list thus far; there were TONS of noodles in it. TONS. I mean, see the lettuce on the side there? There's noodles under it. And the dressing pot was lovely and ginger/coriandery. And edamame are always a plus with me. Plus if you go in after 2pm, as I always do, they're ALWAYS half price (WIN FOR THE SCOT AGAIN!!).

Very impressed as always. Boots, your chocolate might suck, but your popcorn, puds, salads and wraps thus far are all winners (and those parsnip beetroot crisps they do rock the socks).
Reply 789
Toto I tried that the other day- loved it!

Apple strudel rice pud is ok, less good than I hoped. It was just normal rice pudding with basically apple purée type sauce and a few raisins at the bottom. Sadly disappointing, and I was so hoping there would be more to it :/ or at least have it mixed through. SIGH.
SPIED AND BOUGHT FOR ME LUNCH:

BOOTS THAI TIGER PRAWN, EGG NOODLE AND EDAMAME SALAD

Boots do some amazing salads really, and I can't fathom how they keep them so damned healthy and low fat to be honest. I'm working my way through them; my number one is still the Tandoori Chicken and Mango salad (which has mixed leaves, tandoori chicken, mango chunks, red onion, a lime wedge, yoghurt and cucumber raita and a cute wee mini onion bhaji for a ridiculous 116 cal count), but their Feta Olive and Seared Chicken and Olive Noodle salad are equally great.

This one is probably number two on my faves list thus far; there were TONS of noodles in it. TONS. I mean, see the lettuce on the side there? There's noodles under it. And the dressing pot was lovely and ginger/coriandery. And edamame are always a plus with me. Plus if you go in after 2pm, as I always do, they're ALWAYS half price (WIN FOR THE SCOT AGAIN!!).

Very impressed as always. Boots, your chocolate might suck, but your popcorn, puds, salads and wraps thus far are all winners (and those parsnip beetroot crisps they do rock the socks).

I had a white chocolate and raspberry krispie/flapjack/square type thing the other day from Boots. It was light as a feather and if it turned sideways, it'd have probably disappeard. But it was tasty!
Reply 791
Ahhh, Melissa, their "Krispie Cake" things are very touch-and-go, they last SECONDS, but have this weird "sweetener, but not horrible" addictiveness to them... right??

I tried the white choc berry one and the dark choc orange one, and both had that overbearing feeling....

Anyway

SPIED AND BOUGHT ALL THIS TODAY. LUNCHTIME FRIDAY PURE EPIC.

I mean, look at all that protein and gaming. I AM MAN.

Just made butterscotch Angel Delight ice cream, which I hadn't picked up before :h:
Reply 793
Angel Delight Ice Cream tastes a bit like frozen yoghurt to me; somewhere in between yoghurt and ice cream!!

SPIED AND BOUGHT IN POUNDLAND

More "Kooks", those crunchy rice parsnip snacks I love so much (a healthy snack that tastes like cheetos? DAYUM YEYAH) and go out of my way to stock up on, and ...

Yes, that's right, I'm going out on a limb to try Weight Watchers Choc Oat Mini Cookie Bags.

Melissa, prepare for rant. Probably.
I just spied and bought milky way magic stars icecreams. I love magic stars and had no idea these existed, they better be good!

Montezuma's limited edition range; £2.45 a pop!! Better be worth it considering the Hotel Chocolat Shop is literally minutes away...

SPIED DID NOT BUY. NEWCASTLE GRAINGER MARKET ASIAN FIZZY DRINKS SHOP FAIL:

took a trip to grainger market myself this week, tonnes of awesome bargains...went out to find a cash point to get money out then got lost and couldnt find my way back :frown: can tell im new here :tongue:
Original post by Care-Free
took a trip to grainger market myself this week, tonnes of awesome bargains...went out to find a cash point to get money out then got lost and couldnt find my way back :frown: can tell im new here :tongue:

There's a nice pizza shop in the Grainger market that does pizza by the slice, I'd definitely recommend trying!
Is Heinz doing american mustard a new thing?
Spied but DIDN'T buy..deep pan pizza with crusts stuffed with cheese and..hot dogs. YES. Hot dog crusts. How many meals in one?
Reply 799
Then don't look at THESE then, Melissa:

Quick Reply

Latest