The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

How i handle my money at manchester met

Hey guys,
Handing your money was difficult anyway, but then the cost of living crisis hit! And now you’re going to university?!
Does this sound like you?
My names Emily and I’m a first year at Manchester Met and the cost of living crisis has been tricky to manage. I am such a home girl and going to university was such a huge leap for me. I don’t think I was quite ready for the epic level of independence university gives you. So, if this is you, stay tuned, because you’re not alone!

Although I’ve done food shops with my mam when I’ve been at home, it took me a while to decide how to best budget my money when food shopping. All of a sudden you are faced with planning or organising and independently every element of your life. And you think buying food is going to be the easy bit… BUT ITS JUST NOT!
The first time I did my food shop, I didn’t quite clock I wasn’t in a family of five anymore, and bought food enough for five people. So, that comes to my first top tip. Plan your meals! A quick way to burn through the budget is to buy more food than you need, and end up wasting it and your money because it goes off. Planning your meals for the week therefore helps you to not go crazy buying everything when your shopping, and helps balance that weekly budget.
Another food tip I’d suggest is embracing the joy of freezing your food. I know it sounds like the most simple thing ever but so many things can be frozen and saved. I enjoy making soup at the start of the week (5 portions cost me approx £2.00) . As I don’t want soup everyday I’ll freeze it until I fancy it for lunch or dinner. I found this similarly with veggies. If I buy them fresh and then dice them and freeze them all I have to do is chuck them in a pot when I cook pasta and voila x
To further do uni life with the impending doom of the cost of living crisis, I have begun to do my nights out differently. Instead of doing pres at a bar, I’ll do pres at home with the flat or whoever I’m going out with. This will save me about £10 or £20 on my night out, which is if your budget for the week is £80 is a quarter of your budget. And that’s only on one night out! So if you can do this, it saves a fair bit.

Here are a few top tips for now!
I’ll keep you all updated with all the other money saving uni hacks I find!

Best wishes,
Emily <3
What's the freezer situation like in halls? One big freezer for everyone to share?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
What's the freezer situation like in halls? One big freezer for everyone to share?

Hey @PinkMobilePhone [br] im in a flat of four so I have a fever shelf to my self. But we are allowed to put our stuff in other peoples freezer section too :smile: if we run out of space!
best wishes
Emily <3
Reply 3
Hi Emily,

As a 23/24 fresher, this was a really insightful read as I've never had the independence, but planning to take that leap by moving out for the 1st year.

When I go shopping with my mum, it's always a trip to Morrisons and we're purchasing for a household of 7 - that's a lot of people to account for.

I was trying to decide where I would shop when I get there, by checking Google Maps and seeing the closest shops to OxCourt, I noticed some of the cheaper supermarkets like Aldi are not as close and foiled my plans (unless I utilise the endless amounts of public transport links Manchester have).

For students on a tighter budget, where would you recommend they shop and why? I want to gain an insight into that, as Morrisons isn't always the cheapest (and in my town - not always the greatest for what you need).
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Kanarii
Hi Emily,

As a 23/24 fresher, this was a really insightful read as I've never had the independence, but planning to take that leap by moving out for the 1st year.

When I go shopping with my mum, it's always a trip to Morrisons and we're purchasing for a household of 7 - that's a lot of people to account for.

I was trying to decide where I would shop when I get there, by checking Google Maps and seeing the closest shops to OxCourt, I noticed some of the cheaper supermarkets like Aldi are not as close and foiled my plans (unless I utilise the endless amounts of public transport links Manchester have).

For students on a tighter budget, where would you recommend they shop and why? I want to gain an insight into that, as Morrisons isn't always the cheapest (and in my town - not always the greatest for what you need).

Hi Kanarii,
fantastic question! Glad I’ve found a fellow assistant shopper to their mum! You definitely beat me with a family of 7, that’s epic :smile: it’s fab you have already started looking at what supermarkets you could go to, more organised than I was! Even though my closest supermarket is Tescos local I take the public transport (bus) or walk the 20 minutes and go to Lidl. It’s quite a nice journey to break up the day if you haven’t much on, often I’ll walk there and bus back so it’s only £2.00. Because off my location I’ve found the extra £2 is worth going the extra mile to Lidl. However, depending on where you live this might be different. I was also a Morrisons shopper when I was at home, but at the moment Lidl is easier and cheaper for me so that’s where I go. Which shops are you closest too? When you move in I’d say it’s a trial period where you can maybe try a few different ones out and see which you prefer?
how are you feeling about moving in p? Excited, nervous?

Best wishes
Emily <3
Reply 5
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi Kanarii,
fantastic question! Glad I’ve found a fellow assistant shopper to their mum! You definitely beat me with a family of 7, that’s epic :smile: it’s fab you have already started looking at what supermarkets you could go to, more organised than I was! Even though my closest supermarket is Tescos local I take the public transport (bus) or walk the 20 minutes and go to Lidl. It’s quite a nice journey to break up the day if you haven’t much on, often I’ll walk there and bus back so it’s only £2.00. Because off my location I’ve found the extra £2 is worth going the extra mile to Lidl. However, depending on where you live this might be different. I was also a Morrisons shopper when I was at home, but at the moment Lidl is easier and cheaper for me so that’s where I go. Which shops are you closest too? When you move in I’d say it’s a trial period where you can maybe try a few different ones out and see which you prefer?
how are you feeling about moving in p? Excited, nervous?

Best wishes
Emily <3

Hi Emily,

Preparation aside, a lot of it comes from anxiety surrounding the new year. I'm always quite worried and prefer to lay out things that can affect me majorly and hence why I approach my first year like this. Manchester is a place I've visited a few times over the years but I usually stick to my usual places rather than exploring, living there is a whole different experience.

I'll keep your advice in mind in terms of trialling out different supermarkets as it is important to branch out, after all there are different bargains and a variety of things you can get at one but not the other. My family (not just household) all prefer to shop at specific places, I haven't got much loyalty to one aside from Morrisons but that's only because I already know how to get there, navigate and the general prices lol.

I am anxious about moving in and preparing for the first year, still have some concerns about OxCourt Halls and the Internet connectivity there, as I prefer to use Ethernet connections now and have read from previous reviews they do not have Ethernet ports so I emailed asking about signal strengthening devices but got no response :frown:. I think I could put up with some poor Wi-Fi as I did have TalkTalk at some point. I also feel worried about how my flatmates will be and having to adapt a new routine to keep myself on my feet, there's no relying on other members of the household like I can do now, I just hope they can cook because I am very poor at it but willing to learn to keep myself alive for the year :colondollar:
Original post by Kanarii
Hi Emily,

Preparation aside, a lot of it comes from anxiety surrounding the new year. I'm always quite worried and prefer to lay out things that can affect me majorly and hence why I approach my first year like this. Manchester is a place I've visited a few times over the years but I usually stick to my usual places rather than exploring, living there is a whole different experience.

I'll keep your advice in mind in terms of trialling out different supermarkets as it is important to branch out, after all there are different bargains and a variety of things you can get at one but not the other. My family (not just household) all prefer to shop at specific places, I haven't got much loyalty to one aside from Morrisons but that's only because I already know how to get there, navigate and the general prices lol.

I am anxious about moving in and preparing for the first year, still have some concerns about OxCourt Halls and the Internet connectivity there, as I prefer to use Ethernet connections now and have read from previous reviews they do not have Ethernet ports so I emailed asking about signal strengthening devices but got no response :frown:. I think I could put up with some poor Wi-Fi as I did have TalkTalk at some point. I also feel worried about how my flatmates will be and having to adapt a new routine to keep myself on my feet, there's no relying on other members of the household like I can do now, I just hope they can cook because I am very poor at it but willing to learn to keep myself alive for the year :colondollar:

Hi there
this is such a valid thing to be worried about! Have you still not got a reply ? I used Ethernet cables in my first flat for my laptop as it made it so much more efficient . Would definitely recommend! Where did you find out the WiFi might be bad there from? A student that lived there or ? Also, trying to gel your life with strangers lives is such a weird one. The key is to not feel like you have to do everything with everyone all the time! Keep the bits in the day that make you happy and calm but change ur up with some flat activities. There’s plenty of time to get to know each other!

I know you will do amazingly
here for any more questions or support !

Emily <3
Reply 7
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
this is such a valid thing to be worried about! Have you still not got a reply ? I used Ethernet cables in my first flat for my laptop as it made it so much more efficient . Would definitely recommend! Where did you find out the WiFi might be bad there from? A student that lived there or ? Also, trying to gel your life with strangers lives is such a weird one. The key is to not feel like you have to do everything with everyone all the time! Keep the bits in the day that make you happy and calm but change ur up with some flat activities. There’s plenty of time to get to know each other!

I know you will do amazingly
here for any more questions or support !

Emily <3

Hi Emily,

I did receive a response back and they had said they were currently in the process of removing Ethernet ports (god knows why, they are the only genuine good Internet connection method for gaming), however I can bring a signal booster so I'll just operate that like I do at home now. My knowledge of poor Wi-Fi came from reviews on Google and other review sites, so I am taking it with a grain of salt but having the extra reassurance of bringing my signal booster makes it better now, as even the worst of Wi-Fi broadbands work better with that booster.

Thank you for the advice about flatmates and the balance with living with others, I definitely want to get along with the people I will be living with however this cannot always happen and I would just prefer to take a mature and adult approach to it rather than any petty fights and arguments that could cause others/myself to be uncomfortable in their own living space. This piece of advice about switching activities is good and I'll keep it in mind - especially for Fresher's week as I am not much of a drinker whereas other students I've tried connecting with so far are into the drinking culture. :h:
Original post by Kanarii
Hi Emily,

I did receive a response back and they had said they were currently in the process of removing Ethernet ports (god knows why, they are the only genuine good Internet connection method for gaming), however I can bring a signal booster so I'll just operate that like I do at home now. My knowledge of poor Wi-Fi came from reviews on Google and other review sites, so I am taking it with a grain of salt but having the extra reassurance of bringing my signal booster makes it better now, as even the worst of Wi-Fi broadbands work better with that booster.

Thank you for the advice about flatmates and the balance with living with others, I definitely want to get along with the people I will be living with however this cannot always happen and I would just prefer to take a mature and adult approach to it rather than any petty fights and arguments that could cause others/myself to be uncomfortable in their own living space. This piece of advice about switching activities is good and I'll keep it in mind - especially for Fresher's week as I am not much of a drinker whereas other students I've tried connecting with so far are into the drinking culture. :h:

Hi there
Well I hope the WiFi situation works it’s self out! What type of games do you play ?
And you’re not alone with the whole not loving drinking a lot type of person!! I really struggled to find friends who didn’t just want to drink. I got a bit bored of every activity being going to the pub I think 🥲 it makes you go and find more people with similar drinking preferences to you I found!

Emily <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending