The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Sober during freshers

Hi

I dont drink and nor do I really like to party. But freshers appears to be a week where people focus on partying and drinking. Especially with Newcastles reputation for it.

Does anyone know what people who don't like partying and don't drink do during freshers week? How do they make friends?
Original post by ~¯_(ツ)_/¯~
Hi

I dont drink and nor do I really like to party. But freshers appears to be a week where people focus on partying and drinking. Especially with Newcastles reputation for it.

Does anyone know what people who don't like partying and don't drink do during freshers week? How do they make friends?

Hi!

Although Newcastle can have a reputation for being a drinking heavy city there is so much to do other than that. Our 2023 Freshers wristbands sold by Newcastle University Students' Union (NUSU) includes evening activities with musical artists such as Sigala but also an abundance of fun daytime activities such as:
- Ghost walking tour
- Pottery painting
- Private film screening at Star and Shadow cinema
- Mini golf
- Ice skating
- Cat cafe
- Paintball
- Food at My Delhi and Pizza Hut
- Victoria tunnel tour

and so much more! So there is definitely something for everyone. I went through university predominantly not drinking and I can tell you you'll still make friends, just from different environments, please don't worry just come and enjoy yourself, everything else will fall into place.

Hope this helps :smile:
Megan (Outreach Ambassador)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi!

Although Newcastle can have a reputation for being a drinking heavy city there is so much to do other than that. Our 2023 Freshers wristbands sold by Newcastle University Students' Union (NUSU) includes evening activities with musical artists such as Sigala but also an abundance of fun daytime activities such as:
- Ghost walking tour
- Pottery painting
- Private film screening at Star and Shadow cinema
- Mini golf
- Ice skating
- Cat cafe
- Paintball
- Food at My Delhi and Pizza Hut
- Victoria tunnel tour

and so much more! So there is definitely something for everyone. I went through university predominantly not drinking and I can tell you you'll still make friends, just from different environments, please don't worry just come and enjoy yourself, everything else will fall into place.

Hope this helps :smile:
Megan (Outreach Ambassador)

Thank you for the responce 🙂

Do u know how I would buy one of those wristbands and how much they cost?
hello

are you in a Facebook group or WhatsApp group chat to meet incoming students who don't party or drink?

Hi

Original post by beautifulworld
hello

are you in a Facebook group or WhatsApp group chat to meet incoming students who don't party or drink?

Hi, I didnt know those exist for Newcastle. Is there any link to the WhatsApp group?
Hi, I didnt know those exist for Newcastle. Is there any link to the WhatsApp group?

i don't know about any group chats for Newcastle, sorry ):
Original post by beautifulworld
i don't know about any group chats for Newcastle, sorry ):

That's alright. No worries
Hi

This may sound wild but I would suggest that you attend the events but just don't drink. There are many non-alcoholic beverages that would be for you. Freshers is part of the experience and it is only a week.
Original post by Wired_1800
This may sound wild but I would suggest that you attend the events but just don't drink. There are many non-alcoholic beverages that would be for you. Freshers is part of the experience and it is only a week.

That is a good point, thanks. Think I may do but i probably won't get one of the fresher bands that only let u into pubs and raves.
That is a good point, thanks. Think I may do but i probably won't get one of the fresher bands that only let u into pubs and raves.

Up to you to decide. My advice is to enjoy the experience as much as you can. Uni is not just for studies but also to evolve socially and personally.
Hi

If you're moving into accommodation you'll find yourself bonding with flatmates by walking round the city visiting all sorts of random places (eldon square shops, quayside Sunday market, junkyard golf etc.) and probably doing your food shop together :wink: Ask someone in your induction lecture if you can sit next to them and you'll hopefully have a conversation going pretty quick.

Give it a go activities from the student union and free taster sessions for clubs and societies are a great thing to do too - if you force yourself to say hi to people you'll meet people pretty easily!

Moral of the story is despite drinking dominating the narratives there is so much more people do in freshers week than that - and you'll remember the week more for the awkward settling-in period where nobody really knows what's going on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending