The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: Spy It... Buy It?

Scroll to see replies

Neither of these are exactly brand-spankin' new, but:

SPIED AND DID BUY:

Ryvita "Thins" in Sweet Chili flavour. Eating them now with tzatziki and houmous (ooh, get me :rolleyes:) but they are surprisingly very nice, with an actual spicy kick! I'll be buying these again for sure. Warning, though: they are aptly named, as they are extremely thin and easily breakable. I noticed this shortly before dropping the half-opened box on the floor. Twice.

Also, the new(ish) Dairy Milk Creations "Jelly Popping Candy Shells." I wanted to try the Cookie Nut Crunch flavour so badly, but they had sold out of it. :frown: Happily, this one was a halfway decent shout. The flavour description just about sums it up: Dairy Milk filled with Smarties-type chocolates (which seems a bit pointless to me), wee jelly sweets and popping candy. Pretty tooth-achingly sugary, which makes sense as it's chocolate filled with more sweets. And the popping candy element made it a bit difficult to sneak a taste while I was at work, what with the sound of poppin CO2 bubbles ricocheting off the back of my teeth.
Original post by TotoMimo
SPIED AND DID BUY: MY NEW FAVOURITE CRISPS. FOOD DOCTOR HOT WASABI.

They're a bit like potato thins/Velvet Crunch/Pop Chips, but with added fibre (ie they "feel" heartier and with more to them), but the flavour! WOW. Proper horseradish POWER! I'm going to try the hot chilli and mild korma varieties this weekend for definite. 45P, TESCO.

Also, Jules Destrooper Chocolate Delight 98g box, which was actually my dinner last night, because I just made a pot of tea and ploughed through all 450 calories of perfection whilst working on all this new PS4 stuff for work :biggrin:

Hardly nutritious, but hell, it's better than my uni days.

yay

wasabi flavour stuff - instabuy

also, ps4 stuff?! :colone: Any details?
Reply 1582
Nothing I can divulge outright, tehforum. But it'll be unsurprising to hear that it's WatchDogs stuff, which is already announced (so isn't sensitive information!) But we are also porting that to another, unannounced format that I may or may not have hands-on experience with :wink:

SPIED AND DID NOT BUY: BARR'S SPECIAL EDITIONS: STRAWBERRY SOURS.

Leave it to Barr to totally create a bizarre and unique flavour, not just "Cola with a tint of X" like everyone else.
Original post by Clementiney921
Neither of these are exactly brand-spankin' new, but:

SPIED AND DID BUY:

Ryvita "Thins" in Sweet Chili flavour. Eating them now with tzatziki and houmous (ooh, get me :rolleyes:) but they are surprisingly very nice, with an actual spicy kick! I'll be buying these again for sure. Warning, though: they are aptly named, as they are extremely thin and easily breakable. I noticed this shortly before dropping the half-opened box on the floor. Twice.

Also, the new(ish) Dairy Milk Creations "Jelly Popping Candy Shells." I wanted to try the Cookie Nut Crunch flavour so badly, but they had sold out of it. :frown: Happily, this one was a halfway decent shout. The flavour description just about sums it up: Dairy Milk filled with Smarties-type chocolates (which seems a bit pointless to me), wee jelly sweets and popping candy. Pretty tooth-achingly sugary, which makes sense as it's chocolate filled with more sweets. And the popping candy element made it a bit difficult to sneak a taste while I was at work, what with the sound of poppin CO2 bubbles ricocheting off the back of my teeth.

I tried the Cookie Nut Crunch tonight for the first time. I was taken aback by just how generous the cookie servings were, it actually BULGED out of the bar. The nutty hint was just that, a hint. But I liked it that way. The cadbury dairy milk chocolate was as good as ever.
Reply 1584
Original post by MelissaJayne
I tried the Cookie Nut Crunch tonight for the first time. I was taken aback by just how generous the cookie servings were, it actually BULGED out of the bar. The nutty hint was just that, a hint. But I liked it that way. The cadbury dairy milk chocolate was as good as ever.

Di'n ch'all see the pics in ma blawg rebiew, baybz?

I did babyg, I did but I thought maybe your cam had some sick mega zoomage...but nope, turns out that cookie really did turn up to the party.
Toto, when are you going to do some more Own brand battles? :3 They be my favourite of posts.
Original post by Cinnie
Spied and bought (well my sister did)
Birthday cake!
Can you believe this tiny piece is 260 calories?

Snapshot_20130509.JPG

But it's a birthday, you can't look at calories on birthday cake! Hehe I had a giant cupcake cake on my birthday the other day and I'm sure I ploughed through at least a quarter of it over the course of a couple days. Heaven :redface:
I tried the Praline muller corner yesterday,

I haven't tried any of the others, but I was not a fan. The yoghurt was a bit too sour for me, and the chocolate too... gloopy? I know the yoghurt needs to be fairly sourish to combat the sweetness of the chocolate, but this just really didn't work for me.

I'm jealous of your privilege now, to have tasted what looks like the chocolate embodiment of fulfilled dreams. Naw seriously, I'm going to pop by that Tesco again tonight, after work. Read the blog entry, and there is simply no other option but to go on and try it myself.
Strawberry and white chocolate weight watchers mousse. Seen them for a while, bought some today. About to try!
Also purchased Sainsburys mini milk chocolate butter biscuits! So cute. I never go Sainsburys but am making an effort to now that I have a nectar card, I'm a sucker for anything that'll give me points. I was looking at their own-brand cereal bars, any good?
Also purchased Sainsburys mini milk chocolate butter biscuits! So cute. I never go Sainsburys but am making an effort to now that I have a nectar card, I'm a sucker for anything that'll give me points. I was looking at their own-brand cereal bars, any good?

Not quite Alpen standard, but not bad! What ones you looking at?
Reply 1593
SPIED AND DID BUY: THORNTONS SINGLE SERVE PACK OF CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/totomimotommy/temporary_zpsabc2a56a.jpg?t=1368292923

Nothing new here, but I'd never had them before. Three brownies? GET IN! Get ready to enjoy! Ready to go to TOWN on these!

These gorgeous, gooey, chocolatey.... delicious...

temporary_zps65dba92b.jpg

...s...small...very, very... I mean, what, are these like... atom cakes?
Original post by dani_1991
Not quite Alpen standard, but not bad! What ones you looking at?

Not the basics range, the mid range ones. I think they were a chocolate chip number, 1.59..only thing is they're not a lot cheaper!
Not the basics range, the mid range ones. I think they were a chocolate chip number, 1.59..only thing is they're not a lot cheaper!

Ah I see. In my view, it's not really worth it! They're not anything special (like a flavour only they do or something) and so I find paying the extra bit for the brand stuff worth it. Chewee bars just do it right, you know? It's not like ASDA where they do actual different flavours that mean you have to buy their brand to get that flavour. It's kinda like Pringles vs Tesco own version. It's okay, but not quite the same?
Reply 1596
Hoi you missus. Tesco Chipz are actually a very, very good alternative to the fake-crisps that are Pringles! Though Pringles are neither crisp nor cake, the Tesco alternative offers a far more vinegar-centric Salt and Vinegar, less greasy alternative to the Kelloggs/Unilever variant!

That said, Tesco are unable to follow the Unilever "secret technique"; the "eighth Pringle" technique. Every eighth Unilever-Kelloggs Pringle is dusted with double the amount of flavour dust that the others have, resulting in a more addictive, flavourful bite. This is the secret to why you seem to always get bored of Pringles, but continue to eat them.

Tesco, sadly, do not have the legality to implement this as it is actually a patented technique!! Zero jokes!
Hoi you missus. Tesco Chipz are actually a very, very good alternative to the fake-crisps that are Pringles! Though Pringles are neither crisp nor cake, the Tesco alternative offers a far more vinegar-centric Salt and Vinegar, less greasy alternative to the Kelloggs/Unilever variant!

That said, Tesco are unable to follow the Unilever "secret technique"; the "eighth Pringle" technique. Every eighth Unilever-Kelloggs Pringle is dusted with double the amount of flavour dust that the others have, resulting in a more addictive, flavourful bite. This is the secret to why you seem to always get bored of Pringles, but continue to eat them.

Tesco, sadly, do not have the legality to implement this as it is actually a patented technique!! Zero jokes!

You know what I mean! It was just a quick example! It's like... Sainsbury Crunchy Nut variety vs actual Crunchy Nut then. If you've ever tried sainsburys version, it's not too great, but still ok. The branded stuff is the better though, and you'll enjoy it just a bit more. Or supermarket chocolate vs Cadbury. There's a difference, though for the cheaper price the own brand stuff is okay.
Reply 1598
Spied and bought:

Innocent veg pot

5f845250520c8dee6db302adad362f217a1c73ea.jpg
Which was very nice and filling!

52651011_H.jpg
I was horrified at the weight of this stuff! (although I should have known, as nairns oatcakes are tiny for their calorie content) A 30g serving was about 5 flakes! Disspoint! :frown:

Spied and did not buy:

Caramel digestives. I feared they would be a disappointment.

5000168079202_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg
Original post by Cinnie

Spied and did not buy:

Caramel digestives. I feared they would be a disappointment.

5000168079202_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg

They're pretty good! Honest :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest