The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Nightlife?

Hi, just accepted my offer for English at Southampton! yay! Am v excited but I was just wondering what the nightlife is like? Am not an especially 'clubby' person- will I be left out? Is it easy to make friends? What is the general atmosphere like?

Any advice from current students there would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Its not all about clubs around here, Theres also some nice bars and hangouts and more alternative places. The SU offers a good range of activities from the cubes club nights - generator/kinki/TNT/fat poppadaddies, to the bridge bar events - poker/internation/international, and the Stags head (Bit like a pub/bar) - jazz/rock/quiz nights.
Also Locally you have portswood with the Hobbit pub, some bars -sobar,mitre,clowns etc and infamous jesters. Then in the city beyond.. Theres all the clubs/bars, also bowling alley, cinema.. Whatever your after really. Its a nice mix I find not always watning to go clubbing :biggrin:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
It's not too clubby, there is only one really big nightclub and many smaller venues in town such as Academy, Jaks, Jesters, Lizard Lounge, Mono etc. Lots of nice quaint pubs as well as the standard chains, Walkabout, Spoons, Yates...There is plenty of variety and lots to do :smile:
Reply 3
I can't stand Jesters. Does that make me a bad person? :redface:
Reply 4
I hate Jesters too. It's gay.
Reply 5
I've only been to jesters once, I quite enjoyed it. :smile:
Reply 6
i love jesters...i love southampton, rocking up the hobbit, after wasting all my loan in the terminal. clubbing in academy or rhino...or the list keeps going on. I have been here since october and i keep on discovering new bars and clubs. but jesters rocks and ur all bad people lol
Reply 7
what is the alternitive scene like in southampton, any good rock clubs etc?, i know they have good gig venues there.
Reply 8
Im sure Lennons, The dungeon and Joiners are all quite popular for the alternative kind of music, and the SU have an alternative night on thursdays called genenrator which gets in some great bands.. It always fun :smile: We even had zane lowe last term! (Aaah Zane lowe love.)
Reply 9
you at solent or the southampton uni?
Reply 10
Southampton Uni. But Lennons in pretty near the city, the othe two are more portswood area I suppose though.
Reply 11
how is the gay scene in southampton?
Reply 12
Well Ocean and collins are starting a Tuesday night student gay night with interaction with the LGBSoc, There website also has links to other clubs and pubs etc. http://www.soton.ac.uk/~susulgb/scene.php
Reply 13
Urm the edge is pretty rocking and thats a gay club in town
Reply 14
Hanzing
Its not all about clubs around here, Theres also some nice bars and hangouts and more alternative places. The SU offers a good range of activities from the cubes club nights - generator/kinki/TNT/fat poppadaddies, to the bridge bar events - poker/internation/international, and the Stags head (Bit like a pub/bar) - jazz/rock/quiz nights.
Also Locally you have portswood with the Hobbit pub, some bars -sobar,mitre,clowns etc and infamous jesters. Then in the city beyond.. Theres all the clubs/bars, also bowling alley, cinema.. Whatever your after really. Its a nice mix I find not always watning to go clubbing :biggrin:

That's reassuring. I'm more of a pubby than clubby person myself.
Reply 15
what bands have played recently?
Reply 16
Well at uni weve had the Paddingtons, A, The Go-Team had to rescedule but they'll be back in may i believe, MTV2 Bandwagon tour, el presidente The generator has had the apartments, story one, young knives etc.. I know some of the places in town such as the joiners have good live music and the southampton guildhall has alot of bands such as the Editors who played at end of term.

Latest

Trending

Trending