The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F325 Equilibria, Energetics and Elements Wed 13 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by barzy_j
if you are talking about the rotate one well basically in olden days they used this sort of cylinder light thing. and they placed the isomers inside it and hit the light beam through the cylinder. the two isomers rotated it in opposite directions. just draw a picture of something like that. you don't need to know it but that's just how it worked.

Interesting... Sounds a bit like the sugar solution experiment from AS physics... I didn't know you could do something similar with isomers though! Thanks for sharing that :smile:
Reply 101
i loved this module till i started doing past papers god help me
Reply 102
Original post by browb003
These were the files that were uploaded to the website before some of the links became broken on transition metals, they probably aren't identical to the ones uploaded now with missing links but I suspect they're very similar

You legend. cheers, and thanks for the other little pack aswell! :smile:
Reply 103
Help needed for Q7 part d (i) and (ii) for the june 2011 paper.
Original post by abu125

7di) When the cell is recharging, the redox reactions reverse - so they change sides.

That means the oxidation one is originally how it is and the reduction is the one to flip to the other side. And if you actually combined that way you'd notice it's the reverse of the original equation in part 7c.

Not sure on 7dii.

Hopefully that helps a little :h:
Original post by abu125

Original post by LifeIsGood
7di) When the cell is recharging, the redox reactions reverse - so they change sides.

That means the oxidation one is originally how it is and the reduction is the one to flip to the other side. And if you actually combined that way you'd notice it's the reverse of the original equation in part 7c.

Not sure on 7dii.

Hopefully that helps a little :h:

7dii) These are the alkaline hydrogen cell equations, it's a good idea to try to learn these:
H2 + 2OH- --> 2H20 + 2e-
1/2 O2 + H2O + 2e- --> 2OH-

In addition to these you should try to learn the normal hydrogen cell half equations:
H2 --> 2H+ + 2e-
1/2 O2 + 2H+ + 2e- --> H2O
(Overall H2 + 1/2 O2 --> H2O)

and the methanol fuel cell:
CH3OH + H2O --> CO2 + 6e- + 6H+
3/2 O2 + 6H+ + 6e- --> 3H2O

Hope that helps.
Reply 106
Anyone have revision notes and practice for this exam?
Original post by Bright
Anyone have revision notes and practice for this exam?

http://chubbylemonscience.tumblr.com/

I found this girl's blog incredibly useful. You may have to dig through a few pages to get all of her revision notes for EEE as there are some for OCR Biology too.
Reply 108
Original post by pcorbett94
http://chubbylemonscience.tumblr.com/

I found this girl's blog incredibly useful. You may have to dig through a few pages to get all of her revision notes for EEE as there are some for OCR Biology too.

Will check it out, thank you! :smile:
I know this has been asked already, but does anyone have a link to the Jan 2012 paper? I tried a link earlier in the thread but it doesn't work. Could someone perhaps upload it directly to this thread? Thanks.

In other news today I came to the realisation that THIS EXAM IS SOOOOOOO HARD!!!!!
Reply 110
Original post by lukas1051
I know this has been asked already, but does anyone have a link to the Jan 2012 paper? I tried a link earlier in the thread but it doesn't work. Could someone perhaps upload it directly to this thread? Thanks.

In other news today I came to the realisation that THIS EXAM IS SOOOOOOO HARD!!!!!

Here they are :

:biggrin:
Original post by maddy93x
Here they are :

:biggrin:

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 112
anyone have the f325 january 2012 mark scheme? cannot find in anywhere!
Reply 113
Same, could someone please post the pdf file for the January 2012 F325 mark scheme.
Reply 114

The link doesn't work :-((

This exam is stupidly hard... n o idea why I am bothering to resit it. I found a brilliant guy on Youtube called Rich Thornly (http://www.youtube.com/richthornley#p/p he does amazing short videos about pretty much all of the topics for EEE.
Reply 115
Original post by hfarrell1
anyone have the f325 january 2012 mark scheme? cannot find in anywhere!

Original post by 1508
Same, could someone please post the pdf file for the January 2012 F325 mark scheme.

Original post by Carbon12
The link doesn't work :-((

This exam is stupidly hard... n o idea why I am bothering to resit it. I found a brilliant guy on Youtube called Rich Thornly (http://www.youtube.com/richthornley#p/p he does amazing short videos about pretty much all of the topics for EEE.

I think they removed the thread that the MS was originally on...
I'll attach the MS to this post.
June 2011 paper question 4e, the 'magic tang' buffers question

How did you decide which acid to choose, i.e. Why did it have to be lactic acid

Is the ratio of conjugate base to acid in a buffer solution always 1:1
Original post by splendidsun
June 2011 paper question 4e, the 'magic tang' buffers question

How did you decide which acid to choose, i.e. Why did it have to be lactic acid

Is the ratio of conjugate base to acid in a buffer solution always 1:1

You choose the acid with the pKa closest to the pH.

No the ratio varies a lot - there's quite a few past papers which test you on this.
Original post by clownfish
You choose the acid with the pKa closest to the pH.

No the ratio varies a lot - there's quite a few past papers which test you on this.

Oh ok, but can you explain why you choose the acid with pKa closest to the pH

Thanks!
Original post by splendidsun
Oh ok, but can you explain why you choose the acid with pKa closest to the pH

Thanks!

Because pKa is pretty much pH. It's all to do with the following equation (I think)

pH = pKa-log(10)[HA]/[A-].

You can see from that, as -log(10)[HA]/[A-] is a fairly small number that pH is roughly pKa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending