The Student Room Group

Best music to listen to whilst revising?

What's the best music to listen to while you're studying/revising?

Scroll to see replies

Classical.
Stuff without words that will just fade into the background of your subconcious. Nothing that will encourage daydreaming.
Err... I'd think none. But each to their own.
Reply 4
Einaudi Ludovico
I'd say a bit o' death metal, but you probably won't like that.

So listen to what ever you want.
Reply 6
Silence... I totally can't revise with music on.. but if I had to go with something it'd probably be Josh Groban. His voice is just lush... and soothing.
MOGWAI!
Reply 8
for some reason, Pendulum is amazing to revise to for Maths. Maybe it's the tempo or something but omg it makes me work like crazy and well!
I read somewhere that listening to music like classical, more rocky stuff is better to revise to than normal Pop as apparently pop kills your brainwaves :P
I usually like something quite energetic - drum & bass, punk, cheesy pop music... I simply cannot study without music, it's so lonely :emo:
Nothing. I can't concentrate with music in the background, because I'll be tempted to sing along. Then I'll spend ages trying to find something suitable to listen to while I could have spent that time revising and before I know it, I'll give myself a tea break after 'hard studying'. Then again, I'm just easily distracted :P

If you want to revise with music in the background, I suggest something without lyrics.
A bit of background jazz is always nice for a peaceful atmosphere.
I can write essays with music on but can't really revise with it on, if anything I turn my speakers on low and stick something a bit soft on, Alex Turner's EP called Submarine is generally pretty relaxing for me.
Some real Jazz (NOT kenny G or some other **** like that)
Reply 15
Trance helps me concentrate the most (I do listen to house, electro-house, electro as well when I revise).
Original post by Fother Mucker
Classical.

This. I've been told slow classical (~40 bpm) helps you concentrate.
[video="youtube;VFI2WFtaYrk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFI2WFtaYrk[/video]

I remember listening to something like this when I was doing my English coursework one time. I'm too scared to click it now though.
Certain film theme tracks (Hans Zimmer, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter), certain Baroque classical works (e.g. Handel, Bach, Vivaldi) and classical works (e.g Mozart [piano sonatas especially good for maths; also Bach is too], Haydn).

Having said that, however - the best way to ensure good focus on work and concentration is to work in silence. Barring that, if you are going to listen to any music during work, make sure it is not on your headphones, preferably on low volume on external speakers. Music from headphones tends to be more counterproductive than music from external speakers.
+ polarity -
---

Why are you too scared to click it now? :biggrin:

Also, it would be more beneficial for studying to listen to brainwave music that is in the Gamma/Beta range rather than Theta.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending