The Student Room Group

Unpopular Music Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
This post belongs in the thread I suggested.

Why don't you go make that thread, sit in it, and stop your bleating.

Circle jerking the Beatles is very college, and very tedious.
Reply 781
Yeah to be fair The Beatles were pretty crap, with the exception of a few heavily drug-influenced songs, and Paul is a first class dick.
the beatles are so overrated. there are many bands that came before them that were way more experimental and doing things better than they were. to those saying 'oh but the beatles are so influential', Velvet Underground are probably the most influential band of all time, didn't glorify drugs, wrote more skillful chords and such, and were way more prolific with the Andy Warhol thing etc. even the ****ing Doors were better than the Beatles.
Morrissey is the King of song writing in a polygamous relationship with Queens Stevie Nicks and Kate Bush.
Oasis are overrated. I personally prefer other bands.
Reply 785
Original post by Dani California
If an "artist" doesn't write their own lyrics and/or play an instrument, I refuse to acknowledge it as their music. Rihanna, I'm looking at you.

Age-old argument....
I can't believe those who question the merit of Oasis, fair enough if you don't like them, but they were one of the last true rock bands before the pop-rock hybrid monster emerged in the 2000s; they left a massive legacy afterwards and influenced many of today's decent bands such as Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, The Rifles, the Pigeon Detectives and The View etc. They probably aren't my favourites though, my favourites probably being Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Arctic Monkeys, Massive Attack, with Oasis and Blur somewhere among them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom78
Age-old argument....

Survived for a reason.
Original post by Annaaaa
Don't get me wrong, I really like Arctic Monkeys but I don't think that they're as awesome as everyone makes out. AM was a great album but all their other work is pretty much of a muchness to me. I was really disappointed when I saw them at Leeds Festival in 2009 and I'm quite indifferent about seeing them at this year's Leeds Festival.

I'd probably think that they were amazing if I was into Indie but that just leads me to my second point; Indie music is on the whole, mind-numbingly boring.

I just want to hug you for that. People who describe theirselves as "indie," are usually hipster overlords.
Original post by Dani California
I just want to hug you for that. People who describe theirselves as "indie," are usually hipster overlords.

Haha, whenever I hear people boasting about listening to only indie, I'm always like "are you expecting a medal or...?"
Lana Del Rey is crap
I don't think Elton John and The Beatles, nor the Rolling Stones, should be as highly thought of as they are.

Dubstep and Rap of all kinds should not even be considered as music. Rap culture disgusts me. I also hate homophobia is illegal yet it's fine for rappers to spout homophobic rubbish eachtime they make a "song".

Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and such cannot sing just because they sound good on an album does not mean they can sing - edited recordings.

The Arctic Monkey's are arrogant and an awful band.

People listen to half of their music purely based on the charts and like it because everyone else does.

Gangnam Style and rubbish like that should have never even been allowed to have been released because it was pure garbage.

James Blunt is decent.
(edited 9 years ago)
The charts are truly awful. Probably why I've spent most of this year stuck somewhere in between the 30s and mid 80s...
That classical music is the best type of music.
I don't actually hate Dubstep, in my opinion it's alright...
Can't stand rap, pop or **** like Miley Cyrus though.
Original post by JayJay-C19
Rap culture disgusts me. I also hate homophobia is illegal yet it's fine for rappers to spout homophobic rubbish eachtime they make a "song".

This is not very fair in terms of modern day rap. Artists like the visionary Kanye West were speaking out against homophobia in 2005 at a time when homosexuality was much less accepted than it is now. Sadly there is a lot of homophobia in older rap music but there was also a lot more homophobia in society back then. Whilst the situation isn't perfect now, it is geting better. Artists like Eminem nowadays do say ignorant homophobic things but dismissing the whole genre because of a few isn't very fair.
Drake is absolutely horrendous, so bad infact that I'd rather pay to see Justin Beiber live than see Drake for free.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
This is not very fair in terms of modern day rap. Artists like the visionary Kanye West were speaking out against homophobia in 2005 at a time when homosexuality was much less accepted than it is now. Sadly there is a lot of homophobia in older rap music but there was also a lot more homophobia in society back then. Whilst the situation isn't perfect now, it is geting better. Artists like Eminem nowadays do say ignorant homophobic things but dismissing the whole genre because of a few isn't very fair.

I'm not dismissing a whole genre because of it but it's a reason I hate it. I just hate rap, I just don't think it's music. It's very fair anyway because it's my own view, so.
Original post by JayJay-C19
Dubstep and Rap of all kinds should not even be considered as music. Rap culture disgusts me. I also hate homophobia is illegal yet it's fine for rappers to spout homophobic rubbish eachtime they make a "song".

What Hip-Hop albums have you heard m8?
I think that Blink-182's best song is Untitled, on the album Dude Ranch

Quick Reply

Latest