The Student Room Group

Unpopular Music Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Dagnabbit
I just can't understand why this is called 'unpopular music opinions' and yet nearly everyone who has posted so far in this thread has stated very similar opinions (Adele, Ed Sheeran, pop music etc.). I know I'll get about 100 neg reps for this post but I've looked through this thread from head to toe and Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Adele and Skrillex have all been ripped at least 15 times and in Adele's case more than 20 times.

Well I didn't criticize any of them in my post (other than Skrillex indirectly when I said dubstep is terrible).

I'm such a non-conformist :cool:
Reply 161
I don't mind Lady Gaga's music but I despise her as a 'person'.
Original post by Hermóðr
Well I didn't criticize any of them in my post (other than Skrillex indirectly when I said dubstep is terrible).

I'm such a non-conformist :cool:

That's fine! I was mainly just referring to people who posted just to say 'I hate Adele'. Well, judging by this thread, so do a lot of people! I'm indifferent I guess if I had to say.
I can vaguely understand the dislike for majority of the bands/artists mentioned in this thread but I don't know why Adele is getting so much hate. Her voice is actually really, really good - something rare these days in the music world. Plus, her lyrics are pretty good. Fine, she writes rather depressing songs but it's her style, I guess. "Set Fire To The Rain" is really good, in my opinion.

I don't get it. Most mainstream music get absolutely ripped for having really crappy lyrics about sex, clubs etc and have auto tuned voices. But then when decent bands/artists come along and write good, meangiful lyrics and can sing well, eg. coldplay, Adele, Snow Patrol etc, they also get ripped for being miserable sods. No one can bloody win!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
Flo Rida is world class.
Reply 165
Original post by 'Shadowplay'
They're decent songs, but they don't do anything for me. Out of the three, I like Paranoid Android the most, never been a fan of Karma Police much. The first half of Exit Music feels too... exaggeratedly oppressive? Not sure how to put it into words. I just feel like I like most songs on the Bends (Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Nice Dream, Just to name a few) more than those on Ok Computer.

Fair's fair. The Bends is absolutely mesmerising.
high school musical for the win lol:biggrin:
I love Kanye West and his ego.
Lil Wayne is awful.
The Beatles are overrated.
Frank Ocean is the best member of Odd Future.
Original post by jstforkicks

Frank Ocean is the best member of Odd Future.

This is a well-known fact
How can Adele be overrated when everyone thinks she's overrated? :L

Slayer's best album is not Reign In Blood, it's Hell Awaits, followed by Show No Mercy.
The Sex Pistols are terrible and not punk. Same for The Clash.
Musicians should not be paid for producing music - it is an artistic pastime, not a means of income.
Napalm Death's 'Scum' is the best album of all time.
Noise is a valid and good genre of music.
Viz is absolutely right about Bono - he's a ****.
People who associate music videos with the quality of the music are morons.
The best composers were Russian.
Downloading helps the music industry more than it harms it.
Opeth is really, really terrible. The same goes for Porcupine Tree.
Anal **** (that's going to be blocked, so you'll know what I mean if I write AxCx) wrote some great songs (Ha Ha Holocaust, I Noticed That You're Gay, I Lit Your Baby On Fire, You're A F***ing C**t)
Kanye West will go down as one of music's great artists.
Original post by takethyfacehence
It's the whole 'what an iconic woman' BS that surrounds her. I ****ing hate 'Single Ladies' it's so boring musically and lyrically... I can't stand that 'I'm such a fierce independent woman and don't men suck' ****... no, your good-for-nothing boyfriends were your stupid choice and there are plenty of good-for-nothing girlfriends out there too... :angry:

You have no idea how happy reading this made me.:colondollar:
Reply 172
I hate Lady Gaga and his penis with a passion.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
How can Adele be overrated when everyone thinks she's overrated? :L

Slayer's best album is not Reign In Blood, it's Hell Awaits, followed by Show No Mercy.

I do love Hell Awaits, not sure on favourite. Kill Again is so epic though

Napalm Death's 'Scum' is the best album of all time.

I personally prefer From Enslavement to obliteration by ND, and Insect Warfare's world extermination in the grindcore stakes.

Noise is a valid and good genre of music.

Masonna is epix, love his stuff, from what I've heard of Merzbow I'm not a fan, any recs for me?

True. I have bought so many CD's and patches by bands I would never have heard of without illegal downloading.

Opeth are a bit meh from what I remember. Porcupine Tree are epic, and I hate the Opeth similarity people assume they have. Listen to Voyage 34 and it's influenced mainly by pink floyd and krautrock.

Anal **** (that's going to be blocked, so you'll know what I mean if I write AxCx) wrote some great songs (Ha Ha Holocaust, I Noticed That You're Gay, I Lit Your Baby On Fire, You're A F***ing C**t)

I love AxCx, a really great grind act. Grind doesn't have to be serious at all, Anal Blast are great as well.

xx
Original post by KingMessi
You have no idea how happy reading this made me.:colondollar:

<3

I don't know what it is about her that makes people so.. stupid. Yes she's hot, yes she's a good dancer... what of it?
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Knew it would make me angry.
Especially people saying Nirvana are 'overrated.'
Grr.
I think Taylor Swift is a talented musician. Having seen the kind of person that posts on this thread, I fully expect this to be among the most unpopular opinions here :wink:
Reply 177

Hell Awaits is probably better than Reign in Blood, Show No Mercy? Nah, Reign in Blood is definitely better imo.

The Sex Pistols are terrible and not punk. Same for The Clash.

Sex Pistols are really average. The Clash are one of the greatest artists of all time, even if their only true punk album was their s/t (Give 'em Enough Rope at a stretch), I've never heard anyone say they were terrible before.

Kind of, the spreading of an artist is easiest through people pirating their music nowadays.

No aaaaaand no. Just can't agree with this one at all.
Original post by GirlGerms.
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Knew it would make me angry.
Especially people saying Nirvana are 'overrated.'
Grr.

Well they are. Kurt Cobain is a **** vocalist.
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Quoting's gone weird so I'll just paraphrase 'you shouldn't link Opeth and Porcupine Tree, they're completely different and PT doesn't suck.'

The reason why I mentioned them together is not due to musical similarity (although both would be so much better if they didn't try to be 'progressive'), but because of the fact that Akerfeldt and Wilson are butt buddies. And Porcupine Tree are awful in their own right.

That said, Steven Wilson's solo album last year was excellent.

Quick Reply

Latest