The Student Room Group

Easiest & valued AS Level to study along side 3 A2s?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ThatPerson
I noticed your doing English Language, so English Literature maybe?

Just stumbled across this thread, and I'm only doing GCSEs, but English Lit is fairly well respected and its by far my best/most enjoyable subject at GCSE - I'm definitely doing it at A-Level.

Yeah, Eng Lit is definately on my consideration list. I did speak to my Eng Lang teacher (who also teaches lit) about it and apparently it's quite GCSE like - which is good since I got A in it in GCSE (and in Lang too) so I think it may be a good option. I don't think it'll be enjoyable though... I enjoyed language much more in GCSE :smile:! Eng Lit was a drag made just a bit more entertaining by a teacher. But many people do say that it's hard and different from GCSE so that's the risk factor, also many also said that universities don't like it when you have Eng lang and Eng Lit. :P Thanks though :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by cuckoo99
I'm doing AS Psychology, its hard Work in lesson, lots and lots of note taking and lots of research studies to learn about but i got a C in the first unit so im pretty chuffed. only major problem with the subject is u learn sooooo much content in the modules and only half of the stuff comes up lol. so if ur particulary strong in one area of psychology it might not even come up lol(luckily the bits i understood came up in the exam :d) so ye theres sooo much content to revise and i found it hard to remember all the studies so u just gotta cross ur fingers if ur like me and hope the stuff u remember comes up lol.

Original post by Miracle Day
Tell that to the 70% of my year that got US! And my school is in the top banding.

I got a B though hehe which was the highest mark in the year suprisingly.

Yeah Psychology does not get the credit it deserves!!! I find the case studies wonderful but the PI exam - GOD, TORTURE!
Original post by Andicate
Hmm... I'll definately consider Philosophy then! I'll ask for the pass rate at my college! But Law is pretty hard -.- there's so much to remember! Although I did get an A even though I missed a question... :tongue: *brag*

And no, that's not my thread! I was researching Philosophy A Level and stumbled upon that thread :smile: there are people on there that said stuff like "hard, but doable" :/!

Good luck either way :smile:
Reply 43
Sorry for late reply, my internet went crazy. Thanks everyone - I'm thinking along the lines of Philosophy or G & Politics?

Anyone taken Philosophy? It sounds wonderfully interesting and okaaay at an AS Level?

The Philosophy A level is hard. I was a straight A student and I got an E on one paper at AS. You have to do 2 topics from a choice of 5/6 on each paper and answer one 15 marker and one 30 marker on each topic. It's vitally important you understand it, it's not like you can just regurgitate facts like some other essay subjects, and there's a lot of content to understand. I'd recommend looking at the textbook before deciding and seeing if you like the stuff that's in there http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Introduction-Philosophy-Level-Focus/dp/0340965258/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331377229&sr=1-2
Reply 44
Exactly my plan!
Reply 45
Original post by funsongfactory
Good luck either way :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by emmaaa88
The Philosophy A level is hard. I was a straight A student and I got an E on one paper at AS. You have to do 2 topics from a choice of 5/6 on each paper and answer one 15 marker and one 30 marker on each topic. It's vitally important you understand it, it's not like you can just regurgitate facts like some other essay subjects, and there's a lot of content to understand. I'd recommend looking at the textbook before deciding and seeing if you like the stuff that's in there http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Introduction-Philosophy-Level-Focus/dp/0340965258/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331377229&sr=1-2

Ah, I see! Thanks! It seems like the difficulty is quite dependant on the exam board. I'm assuming you're on the AQA exam board? If my school is on that, then I'm probably not going to take it. I'll probably end up taking Eng Lit or Sociology! :smile:
Reply 47
Ah, I see! Thanks! It seems like the difficulty is quite dependant on the exam board. I'm assuming you're on the AQA exam board? If my school is on that, then I'm probably not going to take it. I'll probably end up taking Eng Lit or Sociology! :smile:

i do english lit aswell, if you love essays and books thats where u want to be :smile: which is why i dislike the subject and regrett taking it rofl
Reply 48

AQA is the only board that offers pure Philosophy. Philosophy & Ethics is offered by other boards with different content , it's seen as a bit easier/softer but I don't know how true that is :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by cuckoo99
i do english lit aswell, if you love essays and books thats where u want to be :smile: which is why i dislike the subject and regrett taking it rofl

Unlucky! :P I think it's right for me :smile:

Original post by emmaaa88
AQA is the only board that offers pure Philosophy. Philosophy & Ethics is offered by other boards with different content , it's seen as a bit easier/softer but I don't know how true that is :smile:

Ooh my college doesn't offer Philosophy & Ethics :frown: maybe Communications & Culture!
I'm currently doing Edexcel's Philosophy and Ethics and it's not too challenging at all. For AS they've replaced the coursework with an extended essay exam - you receive a topic to do with Equality, such as Abortion and Equality, Euthanasia and Equality - our was about Homosexuality and Equality. We wrote our essays in advance, got them marked and remarked by the teacher until they were perfect. Then all you need to do is learn it off by heart. When you get into the exam, you stick strictly to the essay you've previously prepared. Then at the end of each paragraph you add a sentence that specifically relates to the question (that will vary ever so slighty from year to year). Our question was something like 'With reference to the topic you have been studying, explain how one matter of conflict presents equality.' (Or something along those lines). I got full UMS and didn't struggle at all.

The second part of the course revolves around Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics, Just War etc. Again, if you write out a short essay plan for each topic beforehand you'll be fine. Then in the exam you'll need to reproduce three short essays (partially to your choice) answering the questions provided.

I study A2 English Language and Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Biology and Philosophy is by far the easiest. It's interesting too so I'd say do it! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by SarahFletcher
I'm currently doing Edexcel's Philosophy and Ethics and it's not too challenging at all. For AS they've replaced the coursework with an extended essay exam - you receive a topic to do with Equality, such as Abortion and Equality, Euthanasia and Equality - our was about Homosexuality and Equality. We wrote our essays in advance, got them marked and remarked by the teacher until they were perfect. Then all you need to do is learn it off by heart. When you get into the exam, you stick strictly to the essay you've previously prepared. Then at the end of each paragraph you add a sentence that specifically relates to the question (that will vary ever so slighty from year to year). Our question was something like 'With reference to the topic you have been studying, explain how one matter of conflict presents equality.' (Or something along those lines). I got full UMS and didn't struggle at all.

The second part of the course revolves around Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics, Just War etc. Again, if you write out a short essay plan for each topic beforehand you'll be fine. Then in the exam you'll need to reproduce three short essays (partially to your choice) answering the questions provided.

I study A2 English Language and Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Biology and Philosophy is by far the easiest. It's interesting too so I'd say do it! :smile:

Oooh Philosophy & Ethics sounds quite tempting! But I don't think my college has that :frown: I think it's a little different than Philosophy.
Reply 52
Im in exactly the same position and probably going to get an E in maths however my teacher is generally terrible, most of the questions I have never seen in my life. If I wanted to do economics next at uni what extra as should I take next year?
it's a difficult/subjective one to answer but what about RE/Philosophy and Ethics? I did it last year on edexcel and it was pretty easy, quite similar to GCSE really, as long as you get decent teachers.

edit: ah just saw someone else recommended it! it is a good one though, and valued (I think it's on Cambridge's list of generally suitable subjects which includes english lit, history, sciences etc)
(edited 12 years ago)
RS, Philosophy, Classical Civ, Sociology, Geography, Economics

Those are some of your options :smile: I would say History and Eng Lit too as they'd be good for your law application but I've heard they're pretty hard/time consuming
Reply 55
Original post by doloroushazy
it's a difficult/subjective one to answer but what about RE/Philosophy and Ethics? I did it last year on edexcel and it was pretty easy, quite similar to GCSE really, as long as you get decent teachers.

edit: ah just saw someone else recommended it! it is a good one though, and valued (I think it's on Cambridge's list of generally suitable subjects which includes english lit, history, sciences etc)

Not RE. I really hate RE .. really boring :frown: I'd do Philosophy & Ethics but my college doesn't do that!
Reply 56
Original post by thatgirlbecky
RS, Philosophy, Classical Civ, Sociology, Geography, Economics

Those are some of your options :smile: I would say History and Eng Lit too as they'd be good for your law application but I've heard they're pretty hard/time consuming

Thanks. Sociology?! I was going to take that... but... it seems like a soft subject? So I think I'll go with Eng Lit! :smile:
Not RE. I really hate RE .. really boring :frown: I'd do Philosophy & Ethics but my college doesn't do that!

re is philosophy and ethics! at least on edexcel haha, they call it philosophy and ethics but on your exam certificates etc it says RE haha, ripoff. ah well :/
Reply 58
Original post by doloroushazy
re is philosophy and ethics! at least on edexcel haha, they call it philosophy and ethics but on your exam certificates etc it says RE haha, ripoff. ah well :/

:redface: In my Sixth Form, RE and P & E are different courses :redface: (I think...)

Quick Reply

Latest