The Student Room Group

What med schools admit applicants who don’t do full A levels (a2)

Not sure if this is the correct forum so please tell me which forum I should post this to but here I go. As crazy as it might sound like it is possible to get into med school (most of the time with a foundation course to relay you into the actual program) without doing full a levels and only doing AS levels. I have seen this happen very, very frequently when people from the Middle East (where I live) apply to med school or any school in the UK without doing full a levels and my close friend actually got a conditional offer from kings med school (B,B,B) without doing ANY a2 subject.So can someone give me a list of the easiest med schools to get into that do accept only AS level grades. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by MBN207
Not sure if this is the correct forum so please tell me which forum I should post this to but here I go. As crazy as it might sound like it is possible to get into med school (most of the time with a foundation course to relay you into the actual program) without doing full a levels and only doing AS levels. I have seen this happen very, very frequently when people from the Middle East (where I live) apply to med school or any school in the UK without doing full a levels and my close friend actually got a conditional offer from kings med school (B,B,B) without doing ANY a2 subject.So can someone give me a list of the easiest med schools to get into that do accept only AS level grades. Thanks!

I don't know which med school takes students without A2 subjects. Perhaps try a private med school, Buckingham or Brunel
Original post by MBN207

I've never heard of this. You can receive offers before taking the final year A-level/A2 exams, but you won't be admitted without A-levels unless you have another equivalent level 3 qualification or perhaps through a foundation year scheme if you meet widening participation criteria (and even those as far as I'm aware of normally require you to complete the full A-levels).

I'd also note that foundation entry into medicine in the UK is usually restricted to those meeting specific widening participation criteria, and is often as or even more competitive than standard entry for medicine (however the actual offer will usually be lower and there will be the foundation year to help those successful adjust to university life).

@GANFYD might know more if there are any specific international foundation programmes allowing progression to medicine outside of the above?
Reply 3
Original post by MBN207

No medical school will take people without full A2 levels, unless they have equivalent level qualifications.
Here are Kings' entry requirements
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs
People can get a conditional offer before they achieve A2 grades, but it would be for their standard offer grades
Even the EMDP has grades of ABB at full A level
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/extended-medical-degree-programme-mbbs
Foundation level courses are only available to those with widening participation flags and even they need full A levels
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I've never heard of this. You can receive offers before taking the final year A-level/A2 exams, but you won't be admitted without A-levels unless you have another equivalent level 3 qualification or perhaps through a foundation year scheme if you meet widening participation criteria (and even those as far as I'm aware of normally require you to complete the full A-levels).

I'd also note that foundation entry into medicine in the UK is usually restricted to those meeting specific widening participation criteria, and is often as or even more competitive than standard entry for medicine (however the actual offer will usually be lower and there will be the foundation year to help those successful adjust to university life).

@GANFYD might know more if there are any specific international foundation programmes allowing progression to medicine outside of the above?

OMG! I was posting the exact same thing!! My work here is done :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
OMG! I was posting the exact same thing!! My work here is done :smile:

Ah haha! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending