The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kopite493
depends how you look at it, personally i think he was a collosal arse it was a scratch on a ford fiesta, theres no way if it was reversed id dream of doing

secondly it was lie 1.5 years ago i dont think i is getting pulled on it know

Well as it's his car not yours, you don't get to choose. You damaged his property, regardless of how much of a big deal you think it is, it's not your decision to make.
Reply 21
Was she in the car? If so she might try to get you for whiplash as well. It's ridiculous what people try to get away with these days.
Was it a private car park? I.e it had a barrier or you had to pay to get in? If so then the police would not be interested, failing to stop after an accident and laws like that only apply to public roads and car parks, not private ones. However, your insurance will probably pay out without asking many questions. The problem is the person's car you caused minor damages to will more than likely refuse to let you pay for the repairs yourself and then will submit a massive claim to your insurance for damage you didn't do (happened to me) and they will just pay her to save any hassle. Other than trying to get them to agree for you to pay for the repairs there's not much you can do.

I complained to my insurance company when they had paid a lady whose park car I hit £2000 (and then stupidly went to her house afterwards to tell her because I felt bad), the car was over 15 years old, I had caused very minor damage to her bumper and she claimed for her car to be towed to the garage (she started it up and drove it around the street in front of me), a new bumper fitted, wheel alignment, new headlights, paint work and a courtesy car for a week. I was more than pissed off, especially after she told me since the damage was so minor we could sort it out without the insurance.
Original post by Dan1909
Well as it's his car not yours, you don't get to choose. You damaged his property, regardless of how much of a big deal you think it is, it's not your decision to make.

a fiesta is worth what 600 quid my insurance would havei ncreased by li 1000 ye i think its my choice not to get ript off
Reply 24
Original post by kopite493
a fiesta is worth what 600 quid my insurance would havei ncreased by li 1000 ye i think its my choice not to get ript off

You might thank that, but it's your fault for hitting him.

Morally, you damaged his property, so have to pay to have it fixed.
Legally, you damaged his property, so have to pay to have it fixed.

No no, it's not your choice. Not at all.
Original post by Daisy2
You're supposed to contact your insurance company in the event of any incident, regardless of who was at fault. Some people might choose to wait to see if the other party contact their own insurance company. Its up to you.

I was rear ended in a carpark, by an elderly man. It was his fault but he tried to blame me, he wasn't even looking where he was going. I took photos of the 'damage' he claimed to be on his front bumper - it was slightly out of line. There was no damage to my car, and no transfer of paint on either car.He said he wanted £600 for a new bumper. His car was a 10 year old corsa, for which a bumper would have cost £80 delivered from Parts Gateway. How many bumpers did he want!!

I took photos of his car in case he would go and deliberately damage it and blame me. Swapped details. Never heard from him again, I think taking the photos must have scared him off as he knew I wasn't going to be ripped off.

So in the event of any accident, no matter how small, its always best to take photos in case you need evidence for future reference.

If you read the policy docs from any insurance company it will tell you not to accept responsibility, and not to enter into any negotiations, ie: leave it to the insurers to sort out.

As for calling the police after a small incident such as a scratch in a carpark, there's no way they would come as nobody was injured.

Depends, if someone damaged your car and left without exchanging details, among other things it is criminal damage. They may not come to you, but if you report the person, with a number plate, they will follow it up I think.

In reply to everyone:

You damage someone else's car, you should pay for any damage you caused to be fixed. (Or your insurer should).
You are meant to tell your insurer within 24 hours of an accident, if you don't, you could end up having your insurer pay for much more than the damage you need, or you could end up settling outside of the insurers. It is up to you if you wish to gamble.
Reply 26
If it's only a small scratch, it would also be a good idea, as has already been suggested, to contact the woman and ask if she would consider doing it privately. If she agrees, she will no doubt produce a very expensive quote. You can then either just pay up (even a scratch can easily be in the three-figure range, but weigh it up against losing your NCB and paying hundreds more for your policy), or you can refuse the extortionate price she may quote, and say you would like to go through insurance, which is your right and she can do nothing about that.

If she rejects your proposal to do it privately, or you decide in the end to go through insurance, you should contact your insurer immediately. Tell them what happened and the extent of the damage. State explicitly that she was not injured, to preempt any fraudulent whiplash claims she may make. Also state in enormous bold letters that you are not making a claim, seeing as your car was not damaged so you have nothing to claim for; shout that you are merely fulfilling your obligation to inform them of an incident.*

It would also help if you had taken any photos. But if not, and if you have the woman's address, you can go round there and take photos of her car; if it is parked on a public street, she can do nothing to stop you. Do it asap before she incurs any additional damage and tries to put that all in the claim against you, which drivers regularly do (e.g. having a scratch, then taking the opportunity to claim for the massive dent down the side which you've had for years from when you drove into a ditch).

---------

* I say this because it worked for me. I was wrongly accused of scratching my neighbour's car. He had a white scratch down his car and my car is white; and my car had a scratch in a corresponding place from when I had been scratched years ago in a car park with no note etc. from whoever did it. I knew I hadn't scratched my neighbour's car, he wanted to sort it privately, so I let him get a quote, which was extortionate, so I said no and to go through the insurer. I contacted my insurer, shouted at them that I was NOT making a claim, but just informing them of the accusation, and sent them photos of both our cars. I then found pictures taken of my car several years before which had the same scratch, proving that the scratch had already been there. That was 2 years ago and I've never heard anything back since, and I have stayed with the same insurer and they gave me NCB that year, so obviously they told my neighbour to f off once they'd seen the photo that the scratches to my car were already there! There were several other white cars on the street, and one with a scratch in the same place, but he didn't even ask them, he picked on me because he thought I'd be a pushover as I was young. Lol at him.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wat happens if u scrape a car when its parked on curb takin up most of road as its a single lane we didnt realise wed touched car and went on to do our daily chorez only for driver to tail gate us nearly vaisin us to crash when he tried blockin us he came up on left leavin us no choice to mount curb on rite
Reply 28
Original post by Susiedynasaur
Wat happens if u scrape a car when its parked on curb takin up most of road as its a single lane we didnt realise wed touched car and went on to do our daily chorez only for driver to tail gate us nearly vaisin us to crash when he tried blockin us he came up on left leavin us no choice to mount curb on rite

This thread is 5 years old, start a new one.
Reply 29
Original post by Tubbz
This thread is 5 years old, start a new one.

Closing for this reason.

Original post by Susiedynasaur
snip

Latest

Trending

Trending