The Student Room Group

I accidentally dented a car and drove off

I’m such an idiot, it was my first time driving alone and there was a gap to get through as someone had double parked.

I thought I could get through but heard a bang into the car on the left (which was not the double parked car). I looked in my mirror and saw the dent and it was like a tiny circle type of dent, noticeable to the owner but not significant damage.

I panicked as it was busy and I was at a junction so I drove off - now I feel awful and scared. I went back today (the next day) but the car was gone but I saw that the house in front had a CCTV camera.

I’m worried I’ll be contacted - my mum will also literally ban me from driving her car ever again (she was reluctant anyway).

I dont even know why I’m posting this but am I being dramatic or is this a common thing?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m such an idiot, it was my first time driving alone and there was a gap to get through as someone had double parked.

I thought I could get through but heard a bang into the car on the left (which was not the double parked car). I looked in my mirror and saw the dent and it was like a tiny circle type of dent, noticeable to the owner but not significant damage.

I panicked as it was busy and I was at a junction so I drove off - now I feel awful and scared. I went back today (the next day) but the car was gone but I saw that the house in front had a CCTV camera.

I’m worried I’ll be contacted - my mum will also literally ban me from driving her car ever again (she was reluctant anyway).

I dont even know why I’m posting this but am I being dramatic or is this a common thing?

Very silly thing to do driving off
Reply 2
Hit & run is a serious offence.
You now need to visit a police station within 24 hours of the incident to file a damage report.
Reply 3
I’ve decided to go back today and find the car/owner to pay the damage.

It was a very tiny dent, dont think that the police need to get involved tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Gina is here
Very silly thing to do driving off

Agree, I guess I just panicked as the road was so busy with double parking everywhere, luckily its not far from my house so I can go back
Reply 5
Original post by d-m1
Agree, I guess I just panicked as the road was so busy with double parking everywhere, luckily its not far from my house so I can go back

The law requires you to attend a Police Station asap.
Original post by d-m1
I’ve decided to go back today and find the car/owner to pay the damage.

It was a very tiny dent, dont think that the police need to get involved tbh

If you could see if from your mirror it's not tiny, also you have no trade exp. If you left the scene it's a police matter.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
If you could see if from your mirror it's not tiny, also you have no trade exp. If you left the scene it's a police matter.

Thanks, but I know what I saw…

Went back today and luckily was able to find the owner as the car was parked right outside their house.

The dent was even tinier than I saw it to be, so tiny that the owner told me its fine and let me off, he didn’t even notice it himself. He was surprised I even came back to find him over that small mark, I gave him some money for repairs but he insisted that its something he can sort.
Original post by d-m1
Thanks, but I know what I saw…

Went back today and luckily was able to find the owner as the car was parked right outside their house.

The dent was even tinier than I saw it to be, so tiny that the owner told me its fine and let me off, he didn’t even notice it himself. He was surprised I even came back to find him over that small mark, I gave him some money for repairs but he insisted that its something he can sort.

Fair enough, you did the right thing and can stop worrying about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending