The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Accomodation

Hi,I would be joining Lancaster in the coming September for my PG. I was planning to stay off-campus and was considering Hello Student Properties (99-101 Penny Street/ Victoria Court) It would be really helpful if anyone can give a review about them. Thank you!
Hi, sorry that no one answered your question at the time. Did you end up staying there? I'm currently considering 99 Penny Street for my accommodation next year and I've been struggling to find info/advice from people who have lived there. I'm going to view it once the booking opens but right now I can't even find any pictures of it that aren't taken by the company itself.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AaronJoshua04
Hi, sorry that no one answered your question at the time. Did you end up staying there? I'm currently considering 99 Penny Street for my accommodation next year and I've been struggling to find info/advice from people who have lived there. I'm going to view it once the booking opens but right now I can't even find any pictures of it that aren't taken by the company itself.

Hi I think I can answer that question for you as my daughter stayed there at 99 penny street for year 3. Absolutely loved it. Bonus was that you can just walk to common garden street and catch the bus there so you have a good chance on getting on the bus at peak times. The ensuite she stayed in a gold ensuite and it was a 3 quarter bed and lots of room. The kitchen diner TV area is really big, has two cookers 4 fridges and plenty of cupboard space. She shared between 12, all various phd/2nd /3rd/4th year. You get your mail there, but for bigger parcels you collect at the reception of 77 penny street. Any issues they sort out quickly. The smell of the bread from subway coming up the stairway wow lol. And you also got kfc on doorstep which did come in handy for her when flu was doing the rounds so she could just nip across and not have to cook. And theres sainsburys as well. And aldi of course. You also have a lift to help carry the bulky items on move in day, and laundry is circuit.
She would have loved to have gone back for year 4 of her integrated, but because she needs a 2:1, she was on borderline end of year 2, so she couldnt take the risk having having to pay for accommodation should she not qualify end of year 3 (she did qualify), so she chose chancellors. She likes chancellors and its great as well, but personally for me I feel Chancellors is more dated in its decor compared to 99 penny street. Chancellors is cheaper though so she is saving some money towards her phd. I will get you some pics of the place as well that i have
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
urgh im struggling to post photos from my laptop on this silly new formatted student room .it keeps asking for a url, i dont have one lol
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi I think I can answer that question for you as my daughter stayed there at 99 penny street for year 3. Absolutely loved it. Bonus was that you can just walk to common garden street and catch the bus there so you have a good chance on getting on the bus at peak times. The ensuite she stayed in a gold ensuite and it was a 3 quarter bed and lots of room. The kitchen diner TV area is really big, has two cookers 4 fridges and plenty of cupboard space. She shared between 12, all various phd/2nd /3rd/4th year. You get your mail there, but for bigger parcels you collect at the reception of 77 penny street. Any issues they sort out quickly. The smell of the bread from subway coming up the stairway wow lol. And you also got kfc on doorstep which did come in handy for her when flu was doing the rounds so she could just nip across and not have to cook. And theres sainsburys as well. And aldi of course. You also have a lift to help carry the bulky items on move in day, and laundry is circuit.
She would have loved to have gone back for year 4 of her integrated, but because she needs a 2:1, she was on borderline end of year 2, so she couldnt take the risk having having to pay for accommodation should she not qualify end of year 3 (she did qualify), so she chose chancellors. She likes chancellors and its great as well, but personally for me I feel Chancellors is more dated in its decor compared to 99 penny street. Chancellors is cheaper though so she is saving some money towards her phd. I will get you some pics of the place as well that i have

Ah thank you! That is really helpful, it looks nice, very spacious especially in the kitchen, much better than what I have now on campus. Do you happen to know where the best and cheapest place to park around there would be? I don't drive but my mum drives up to visit me and we've found it can be quite difficult to find places to park in town.
Reply 6
Original post by AaronJoshua04
Ah thank you! That is really helpful, it looks nice, very spacious especially in the kitchen, much better than what I have now on campus. Do you happen to know where the best and cheapest place to park around there would be? I don't drive but my mum drives up to visit me and we've found it can be quite difficult to find places to park in town.

A lot of the car parks are around the same price around £12 for 24 hours, but what we did was on move in day is pull up either in the car parking slots at KFC, or just outside the building theres some spots there. It's 80p for half hour or £1.50 for an hour. Its only meant to be for shopping short stay, so we pay a couple of times to do the drop off as shes got a lot of stuff in storage (best time to do it is around 9ish in the morning or late afternoon to avoid peak times). Then once dropped off the stuff, we then park in auction mart to properly unload the boxes. I use the ringo app, but I have paid by cash there. Auction mart after 6pm and before 8am its £2.00. When moving her out I stayed over to help put bits into boxes so used Auction mart to park over night and also gave us the chance for a meal at Galico lounge.
Auction mart has been pretty decent on car parking spaces. If im staying overnight in a hotel, I tend to stay a place called the Lodge at Lancaster in hest bank, or Premier Inn north of lancaster so they have free parking.

I do prefer auction mart over the marketgate shopping centre car park which I find really bad as going on the ramp up over the shops, almost scraped my car once, so parking that little bit futher out is much better.

Should you cant get Penny st and decide for chancellors, its £3.30 for 24 hours parking, but you do have to register on the lancaster website the students details to show you are parking for someone who lives there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending