The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I see I'm so so so behind in this thread! :biggrin: I'll hopefully be applying for Law, just don't know which college just yet. I got my prospectus yesterday, I need to start reading it. :biggrin:
Original post by loopy786
I originally wanted to do Chemistry, got into UNIQ today!!!!!!!!!!!! (for Chem.)

But literally two weeks ago, I was thinking of doing PPE... Now I'm confused and think I might actually want to do Chemistry.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Haha, I've seen so many people on these forums who are split between PPE and Chem. I personally don't get it - either you prefer objective results, or you like subjective argument. Like I get that there are outliers who like both, both there are so friggin many on these forums!
Original post by Aeonstorm
Haha, I've seen so many people on these forums who are split between PPE and Chem. I personally don't get it - either you prefer objective results, or you like subjective argument. Like I get that there are outliers who like both, both there are so friggin many on these forums!

I think the people like me who are torn between the two are generally quite indecisive people who are people's people with an avid interest in sparking debate, learning how things work and making an impact and changing things, but at the same time, we're interested on things at a chemical level and really want to understand the world in general because it's so exciting!!!! It's like we can't decide whether to understand society or whether to understand the smaller details of bigger concepts.

Literally, if there was a degree with Chemistry, Philosophy, Politics, Economics and a little bit of French in there too, I'd be the first to apply!!!!!!
Original post by loopy786
I think the people like me who are torn between the two are generally quite indecisive people who are people's people with an avid interest in sparking debate, learning how things work and making an impact and changing things, but at the same time, we're interested on things at a chemical level and really want to understand the world in general because it's so exciting!!!! It's like we can't decide whether to understand society or whether to understand the smaller details of bigger concepts.

Literally, if there was a degree with Chemistry, Philosophy, Politics, Economics and a little bit of French in there too, I'd be the first to apply!!!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean, and I do have an interest in both, but I have always tended to swing towards the social sciences because everything is debatable and it opens you up to new ways of thinking and viewing the world, whereas high school science is very much just forcing content down your throat to regurgitate. However, I still enjoy reading science magazines and books to get a general overview, if not the nitty-gritty specifics - I really wish school courses had a more conceptual approach... but I guess in the sciences getting the basics down is quite important.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah I know what you mean, and I do have an interest in both, but I have always tended to swing towards the social sciences because everything is debatable and it opens you up to new ways of thinking and viewing the world, whereas high school science is very much just forcing content down your throat to regurgitate. However, I still enjoy reading science magazines and books to get a general overview, if not the nitty-gritty specifics - I really wish school courses had a more conceptual approach... but I guess in the sciences getting the basics down is quite important.

That is exactly how I feel!
I just think it's annoying how with social sciences you are allowed to have a new opinion and constantly dispute things and understand concepts, but in Science, the only way your new ideas get accepted are if you die and then a billion years later, someone understands what you meant. It's all very set-in-stone in science, I think, and quite factual. But I think with Chemistry, you have a bit of leeway because there are soooo many exceptions to patterns and you have the chance to experiment to create new things, e.g. look at Graphene, what an amazing substance!!!! Things like that just blow my mind and as a very academic person, I'd love to be at the forefront of learning about things like that and talking to minds who know waaaay more than I do!!

At the same time, I want to explore ideas and constructs that you don't ordinarily, but I reckon it's okay for me to go into Science because I was always going to have a stint in politics whatever the situation due to having worked with a political party for years and being their first choice for elections in a few years' time. So I feel as though I can do Chemistry, get an interesting job, but then maybe I'd prefer to do PPE but I DON'T KNOW AHHHHHH
Reply 785
Im finding this conversation on PPE and Chemistry amusing, especially since the two subjects are unrelated.

Well I will just interject by saying I want to apply for Biological sciences, and currently studying:
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics (dropping for A2).
Grade Predictions: A*A*Aa (with the two A*'s in Maths and Chemistry)

Is there anyone else out there applying for Biological sciences!?
Intending to apply for PPE, probably at Christ Church, but also considering others.
GCSEs: 10 A*s, some of which were IGCSEs, and a C in IGCSE Further Pure Maths (whole cohort flopped it)
ASs: A (~95% UMS) in Maths; predicted As for History, Economics, German, Further Maths, Chinese and General Studies.
A2: Predicted A* in Maths for this summer

Other:
Have read Republic, Nicomachean Ethics, Gorgias, Protagoras, Meno, Phaedrus, History of Western Philosophy, and Meditations on First Philosophy.
Am joint-head of Intermediate Debating Society, soon to be head (correct at time of writing; no longer so) of Senior Debating Society; Speaker (to wit, head) of the Parliamentary Society.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Caecilius
Intending to apply for PPE, probably at Christ Church, but also considering others.
GCSEs: 10 A*s, some of which were IGCSEs, and a C in IGCSE Further Pure Maths (whole cohort flopped it)
ASs: A (~95% UMS) in Maths; predicted As for History, Economics, German, Further Maths, Chinese and General Studies.

Other:
Have read Republic, Nicomachean Ethics, Gorgias, Protagoras, Meno, Phaedrus, History of Western Philosophy, and Meditations on First Philosophy.
Am head of Intermediate Debating Society, soon to be head of Senior Debating Society; Speaker (to wit, head) of the Parliamentary Society.

:hi: im aplying to ChCh too, were the only two on here so far, im aplying for E&M :smile:, have you booked the open day?

do you want me to add your details to the stalking page?
Yeah, I've booked for the Open Day.

That'd be nice, thanks.

What made you choose E&M? Or rather, are you sure you're interested in management, aha?
Yeah, I've booked for the Open Day.

That'd be nice, thanks.

What made you choose E&M? Or rather, are you sure you're interested in management, aha?

Hopefully i wont just be the normal oxbridge spiel, theres one presentation that ive seen about 4 times haha, im most interested in talking to the tutors.

Yep, ill get on that.

Yeah, i am actually intereste in management (which robably sounds odd :P) i considered bothe PPE and Camb econ, but despite one f my teachers trying to convince me im 'perfect' :rollseyes: for PPE, im just not sure its quantitive enough for me and then Camb econ has that (apparently) incredibly boring history module, and the Said Buisiness school looks very attractive :smile:

what about you, why PPE?
Original post by tooambitious
Hopefully i wont just be the normal oxbridge spiel, theres one presentation that ive seen about 4 times haha, im most interested in talking to the tutors.

Yep, ill get on that.

Yeah, i am actually intereste in management (which robably sounds odd :P) i considered bothe PPE and Camb econ, but despite one f my teachers trying to convince me im 'perfect' :rollseyes: for PPE, im just not sure its quantitive enough for me and then Camb econ has that (apparently) incredibly boring history module, and the Said Buisiness school looks very attractive :smile:

what about you, why PPE?

Hm, well, there is lunch in the Harry Potter hall n' all dat. I think talking to the tutors is the bit we're all after, aha - that crucial early link.

Don't find it odd, tbh - different strokes for different folks, and all that. Are you familiar with Porter's Five Forces? :P

As for why PPE - in a word, all the subjects interest me. It's the science of government, the noblest discipline. Gotta go, so a detailed explanation won't be forthcoming for a bit, aha.
Hm, well, there is lunch in the Harry Potter hall n' all dat. I think talking to the tutors is the bit we're all after, aha - that crucial early link.

Don't find it odd, tbh - different strokes for different folks, and all that. Are you familiar with Porter's Five Forces? :P

As for why PPE - in a word, all the subjects interest me. It's the science of government, the noblest discipline. Gotta go, so a detailed explanation won't be forthcoming for a bit, aha.

added you to the stalking page, yes i suppose you're right about lunch, although ive heard the food is average, but the atmosphere makes up for it,
yes, ive come across it in my reading but not really delved deeply tbh

fair enought, no worries :smile:
Reply 792
Soooo..... Anybody else here :poo:ing their pants because they've left revision too late and trying to cram everything in the little time we have left?

:zomg:
Reply 793
Original post by a rusH
Soooo..... Anybody else here :poo:ing their pants because they've left revision too late and trying to cram everything in the little time we have left?

My main concern was physics but I just looked over past paper grade boundaries and they all averaged 60% for an A, the exam boards then seem to round this up to 80%, (not that I want to get 60% in the exam).
Maths core 2; 4 chapters to complete still with 3 and a half weeks till the exam, so yeah, apart from that, everything is looking up...:s-smilie:
Reply 794
Original post by ChrisE2
My main concern was physics but I just looked over past paper grade boundaries and they all averaged 60% for an A, the exam boards then seem to round this up to 80%, (not that I want to get 60% in the exam).
Maths core 2; 4 chapters to complete still with 3 and a half weeks till the exam, so yeah, apart from that, everything is looking up...:s-smilie:

All I've done so far is BIOL1 and 1 chapter of C2.
Looks like sleep will be non-existent for the next month or so :s

Other:
Am head of Intermediate Debating Society, soon to be head of Senior Debating Society; Speaker (to wit, head) of the Parliamentary Society.

:hi: im aplying to ChCh too, were the only two on here so far, im aplying for E&M :smile:, have you booked the open day?

do you want me to add your details to the stalking page?

:hi: I'm thinking of applying to Christchurch for PPE as well :smile: Looks like some stiff competition from Caecilius there :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by a rusH

:lol: starting revision on the morning of the exam... yeaaah dont worry it's never too late.

A2 however :/ hmmm
:hi: I'm thinking of applying to Christchurch for PPE as well :smile: Looks like some stiff competition from Caecilius there :P

howdy :biggrin:, i assume yu wont be coming for open days? Have you visited oxford before?
howdy :biggrin:, i assume yu wont be coming for open days? Have you visited oxford before?

Naw, it would cost way too much to fly over :frown: Hopefully I get an interview at the very least, so I have an excuse to come over and see Oxford for myself :biggrin:

Other:

Great profile, but may I ask why you have chosen to read so much ancient philosophy? I assume that you'd seldom use any ideas found in the dialogues for PPE purposes. I personally would stop at The Republic and Politics, with regards to the Greeks. Aside from those, I wouldn't read anything prior to Locke/Rousseau.

Someone do add me to the list thingy(international here :biggrin:). I do IB so stick in my info however you wish -

Applying for PPE at Pembroke or Exeter (on the whim that J.R.R Tolkien studied at both :biggrin:)
IGCSEs: 8A* 1A
IB Diploma:
English, Economics, History, Mandarin at HL
Biology and Mathematics at SL
Predicted 42/45(conjecture; I received 39/42 on my last report, so I assume I'll get all 3 bonus points from TOK and EE)

Extras/ECs:
Student Council
Head Boy
Model UN (president of the Economic and Social Council at an international conference)
"Economics For Leaders" summer programme at UC Berkeley
Economics college course at University of Colorado
Econs, Politics, law courses at Yale University

Probably won't have space. Feel free to omit the last three if so.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending