The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by manupalace
Wow, congrats on your score, I on the other hand have postponed mine again (maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it). Did you find that the QR was easier than on Medify? I seem to be taking far too long to answer the questions and thats if I get the answer right :frown:

A bit easier for sure.
Original post by Zedd
A bit easier for sure.

I'm assuming you mean the real thing is a bit easier than Medify, if so that's a relief even if its only a small difference.
Reply 782

I'm assuming you mean the real thing is a bit easier than Medify, if so that's a relief even if its only a small difference.

Blimey! You're quoting me all over the shop! :P

The real thing is easier yes. Very straightforward stuff really!
Wow, congrats on your score, I on the other hand have postponed mine again (maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it). Did you find that the QR was easier than on Medify? I seem to be taking far too long to answer the questions and thats if I get the answer right :frown:

Thank you I'm so happy with it!
Yeah I did, well i did aweful in mocks generally and I'm much better under pressure in the exam so that was a major factor for me... but generally a bit easier than medify... I've sent over 10 emails to medify showing mistakes in their questions which was annoying
Right folks

I'm applying as a graduate to standard courses this year. Most only require B's in Chem/Bio for grads. Only Imperial want 2 A grades.

After getting straight A's in January AS's I've got a B overall after flunking one monster of a paper, and getting an E in my practical after revising for the wrong practical.

Regarding Imperial; I still really want to apply there, so am considering re-sits to bump my B to an A. I'm pretty sure they accept these for grads regardless of whether they do or do not for college leavers (I got AAB at college). Now when I fill in the UCAS, I'll have to put pending A in the results sections, I won't have to disclose my B right?

Also regarding the other courses who only want B's (Kings 5 year, Barts and UCL) will these B's be mere eligibillity criteria, which once met will be ignored, with the UCKAT/BMAT, PS and interview being more pertinent?

Thanks
Reply 785
Original post by byebyebadman
Right folks

I'm applying as a graduate to standard courses this year. Most only require B's in Chem/Bio for grads. Only Imperial want 2 A grades.

After getting straight A's in January AS's I've got a B overall after flunking one monster of a paper, and getting an E in my practical after revising for the wrong practical.

Regarding Imperial; I still really want to apply there, so am considering re-sits to bump my B to an A. I'm pretty sure they accept these for grads regardless of whether they do or do not for college leavers (I got AAB at college). Now when I fill in the UCAS, I'll have to put pending A in the results sections, I won't have to disclose my B right?

Also regarding the other courses who only want B's (Kings 5 year, Barts and UCL) will these B's be mere eligibillity criteria, which once met will be ignored, with the UCKAT/BMAT, PS and interview being more pertinent?

Thanks

Is there a reason why you're applying to 5 year programmes instead of graduate entry? I know that KCL doesn't consider A-Levels so perhaps consider applying to it amongst the other courses?
Reply 786
I'm really curious what it is that my fellow graduate applicant will do if they don't get into medicine this year... what are all of your plans if you don't get an offer?
Original post by Zedd
Is there a reason why you're applying to 5 year programmes instead of graduate entry? I know that KCL doesn't consider A-Levels so perhaps consider applying to it amongst the other courses?

I'm hoping to apply to Kings GEP as 1 of 4 of my choices, contigent on getting a high UCAS next week.

I'm applying to 5 year courses I don't believe I'd get a succesful GAMSAT in my 3rd attemp (especially considering they've upped the S3 boundary!).

I want to stay in London and Kings and SGUL are the only 2 here that I'm eligible.

The 5 year courses are much less competitive and I believe I stand a much better chance. I know they're more dollar, but I can stomach that.

So back to my original Q:

I've got a B overall in Chemistry A level. I can easily bump this to an A with restits of 2 modules.

Original post by Zedd
I'm really curious what it is that my fellow graduate applicant will do if they don't get into medicine this year... what are all of your plans if you don't get an offer?

Cry.
Preferably in a corner somewhere.
All year long.

I can stay on at uni for a 4th year and get a MEng (instead of graduating with a BEng next summer) and reapply.

Alternatively, I can graduate anyway and try and bump my hours from PT to FT and reapply. But I'm likely to go with the former.
Reply 789
Original post by arcl
Cry.
Preferably in a corner somewhere.
All year long.

I can stay on at uni for a 4th year and get a MEng (instead of graduating with a BEng next summer) and reapply.

Alternatively, I can graduate anyway and try and bump my hours from PT to FT and reapply. But I'm likely to go with the former.

Are you not locked into the MEng? When I was on an MChem you were locked into it going into your junior honours year... although perhaps that differs from uni to uni.
Original post by Zedd

CArry on working internationally (where I already work) and try again for 2014 entry :P
Reply 791
Original post by lcsurfer
CArry on working internationally (where I already work) and try again for 2014 entry :P

If I don't get in this year I don't suppose you could get me a job could you? XD
Original post by Zedd
Are you not locked into the MEng? When I was on an MChem you were locked into it going into your junior honours year... although perhaps that differs from uni to uni.

Apparently not, I've spoken to my tutor and he said it's fine.

There are a few each year that apply for MSc elsewhere and then graduate with a BEng, even though they're enrolled on the MEng stream. The course doesn't differ in third year if you graduate or not, it's only if we're doing a year abroad or a year in industry it gets a bit funky.
Original post by Zedd
If I don't get in this year I don't suppose you could get me a job could you? XD

haha you need experience in disaster management/development/response and/or a relevant degree? if so send me your cv :P
Sad thing is I have to miss my graduation as its in november :frown:
Having a nightmare with my personal statement, not started looking at UKCAT stuff yet (and mine's a month away), still haven't picked a 4th choice yet and I need to sort my stuff out before starting 3rd year in a few weeks... Paranoia sets in now.

Looking at Birmingham as my 4th (though I'm not 100% sure if they'd accept my degree at this point in time).

Does anyone know, before I email them, if they accept people who haven't graduated yet? The wording sounds like they do, but I'm doubting myself reading it (paranoia part #1). ("Preference is given to applicants who have completed a life science degree and achieved a first class result.")

And "Where the highest qualification in English or Maths is at GCSE, grade A is normally required." - Does "normally required" mean you absolutely need an A in GCSE English (I got an A* in Lit, but a B in Lang), or that they recommend you do...? (paranoia part #2)

Thanks
Reply 795
Original post by arcl
Having a nightmare with my personal statement, not started looking at UKCAT stuff yet (and mine's a month away), still haven't picked a 4th choice yet and I need to sort my stuff out before starting 3rd year in a few weeks... Paranoia sets in now.

Looking at Birmingham as my 4th (though I'm not 100% sure if they'd accept my degree at this point in time).

Does anyone know, before I email them, if they accept people who haven't graduated yet? The wording sounds like they do, but I'm doubting myself reading it (paranoia part #1). ("Preference is given to applicants who have completed a life science degree and achieved a first class result.")

And "Where the highest qualification in English or Maths is at GCSE, grade A is normally required." - Does "normally required" mean you absolutely need an A in GCSE English (I got an A* in Lit, but a B in Lang), or that they recommend you do...? (paranoia part #2)

Thanks

Not sure about the GCSE requirement, but as far as I know Birmingham don't consider people who haven't graduated with a first yet for their 4 year degree. The wording on the website doesn't make this clear but this seems to be the unwritten rule from what I've heard and seen on threads specifically. Prob best to email them just to make sure though
Original post by Anna1988
Not sure about the GCSE requirement, but as far as I know Birmingham don't consider people who haven't graduated with a first yet for their 4 year degree. The wording on the website doesn't make this clear but this seems to be the unwritten rule from what I've heard and seen on threads specifically. Prob best to email them just to make sure though

Thanks. Thought it'd most likely be the case, I was going to email them to double check.

Might be time to start looking at Warwick as well...
Reply 797
Original post by arcl
Thanks. Thought it'd most likely be the case, I was going to email them to double check.

Might be time to start looking at Warwick as well...

Warwick is a good option if you do well in the UKCAT, they have one of the biggest GEM intakes
Reply 798
Original post by lcsurfer

well done on your score. Can you give tips on how to approach each section?
Original post by arcl

Thanks

Generally they prefer people who have graduated but I have met someone on the course who hadn't graduated when he was applying but he had to achieve a first class in his degree in order to get in (which he did). Birmingham will probably tell you that you need to have graduated before you apply as most of the people I have met on the course had graduated before they had applied and this particular person in question seems to be a rare exception.
Oh and I didn't get an A in GCSE English (got a B in both English Language and English Lit but it seems like they may have changed the requiremements for 2013 entry since I was never told "where the highest qualification in English or Maths is at GCSE, grade A is normally required").
But as someone mentioned, your best bet would be to email them.
Good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending