The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcsurfer
Good luck with your UKCAT on friday! Hope it goes better than last year for you.

Thanks, here's hoping! Last minute QR revision is panicking me but I'm sure I'll be fine haha :P
Sat the UKCAT today. Average 672.5. Chuffed with this! Considering the AR panicked me a lot. My first choice is University of Glasgow, I think that score is acceptable? :smile:
Hey,
Just wondering. If I do a Biomedical degree then convert to Medicine do I have to have taken the UKCAT/BMAT to get onto the Graduate Level entry? (I'm in Y12 atm). Sorry if this question has been asked before, just want to be clear yknow :smile:
Original post by Corpsetaker
Sat the UKCAT today. Average 672.5. Chuffed with this! Considering the AR panicked me a lot. My first choice is University of Glasgow, I think that score is acceptable? :smile:

Congrats, can't comment on cutoffs for the Scottish med schools but glad you're happy :smile:
Original post by thegnaaarl
Hey,
Just wondering. If I do a Biomedical degree then convert to Medicine do I have to have taken the UKCAT/BMAT to get onto the Graduate Level entry? (I'm in Y12 atm). Sorry if this question has been asked before, just want to be clear yknow :smile:

Yes, but don't concern yourself with graduate-entry if you haven't considered either resitting some modules to make up your grades, or consider foundation courses or access courses. GEM is very expensive and much more competitive.
Reply 1185
Original post by 419
Think they tell you like 2/3 weeks before. You should've got an email saying when they'll inform you. You probably will get London if that's what you put down.

Probably wil need to spend more time on readying yourself by doing more that just a few practise papers.

Hopefully London don't fancy traveling around the country. My background gives me a bit of knowledge on the science side i hope, but do more then just practice papers.
Reply 1186

Nice score, but I'm not sure re: Glasgow, as they only interview the top ~600 right? Only time will tell I suppose but I think that might be borderline depending on how everyone is doing in the test this year. Fingers crossed for you! (ps- I'm also applying to Glasgow)
I'm asking on behalf of a close friend here. She is currently completing a biomed degree and has been performing really well (v. strong 1st in Y1 came 2nd in year but Y1 doesn't contribute to classification) and has got firsts in all summative assessments this year apart from one, in which she got a 2:2 (immuno + microbio unit). She is really keen to get to medical school, but is heavily restricted by where she can apply due to not get getting AAB in her A-Levels (Chem, Bio, Latin). Given that medical schools ask for a transcript, is it likely this 2:2 will disadvantage her application, especially if she's predicted a 1st and on track for it regardless of the 2:2?

And secondly, am I right in assuming medical schools are indifferent as to whether your dissertation is a lab-based one or a library based one (for a BSc)? She's thinking of applying to Warwick, KCL, Imperial and potentially SGUL.

If anybody can shed any light on this to clarify any of the above, it would be much appreciated. I've told her to email each medical school to get an official answer instead of second-guessing, but am not sure as to whether she'll actually follow though...
Reply 1188
Original post by purplefrog
I'm asking on behalf of a close friend here. She is currently completing a biomed degree and has been performing really well (v. strong 1st in Y1 came 2nd in year but Y1 doesn't contribute to classification) and has got firsts in all summative assessments this year apart from one, in which she got a 2:2 (immuno + microbio unit). She is really keen to get to medical school, but is heavily restricted by where she can apply due to not get getting AAB in her A-Levels (Chem, Bio, Latin). Given that medical schools ask for a transcript, is it likely this 2:2 will disadvantage her application, especially if she's predicted a 1st and on track for it regardless of the 2:2?

And secondly, am I right in assuming medical schools are indifferent as to whether your dissertation is a lab-based one or a library based one (for a BSc)? She's thinking of applying to Warwick, KCL, Imperial and potentially SGUL.

If anybody can shed any light on this to clarify any of the above, it would be much appreciated. I've told her to email each medical school to get an official answer instead of second-guessing, but am not sure as to whether she'll actually follow though...

They don't ask for transcript- well they do if you can't provide certificate and then that's after they've made you an offer. All they care about is her final grading. And again, they don't care care for your dissertation (I mean, how else to students that do laws and history etc manage to getting onto the course without been hindered by their degree) and majority don't care for A level grades. Of all the school you've listed I think only Imperial do but, I'm sure I'm wrong.

Look at the wiki, it's all there waiting for you.
Original post by 419
They don't ask for transcript- well they do if you can't provide certificate and then that's after they've made you an offer. All they care about is her final grading. And again, they don't care care for your dissertation (I mean, how else to students that do laws and history etc manage to getting onto the course without been hindered by their degree) and majority don't care for A level grades. Of all the school you've listed I think only Imperial do but, I'm sure I'm wrong.

Look at the wiki, it's all there waiting for you.

Thanks - I'll chase her up on her info about transcripts being requested... She's going to be applying while in the 3rd (final) year of her course, so maybe that's why she says they ask for a transcript as they don't have her actual degree to pin her down to. But once again, I'll nudge her to clarify these things.

And I figured as much about the dissertation, though was wondering whether the fact that she was doing a BSc on a heavily lab-based course made a difference - thought as much that it didn't as your competence in a lab doesn't necessarily mean you're more suited to become a doctor etc.

Thanks again for your help :smile:

And if there's any one here with questions about UCL's admissions/course, feel free to quote me in this thread and hit me with them :smile: I'm not a grad, but am really close friends with several of them, so if you're wondering about grad life on the UCL A100, I can shed some light into that too.
Thanks - I'll chase her up on her info about transcripts being requested... She's going to be applying while in the 3rd (final) year of her course, so maybe that's why she says they ask for a transcript as they don't have her actual degree to pin her down to. But once again, I'll nudge her to clarify these things.

And I figured as much about the dissertation, though was wondering whether the fact that she was doing a BSc on a heavily lab-based course made a difference - thought as much that it didn't as your competence in a lab doesn't necessarily mean you're more suited to become a doctor etc.

I did a non sciene degree and got a place on GEM.
The degree really doesnt matter(subject or where it is from), most of the time it literally is just a tick in the box for academics. they want to know more about the applicant personally and the qualities that they have
Hey guys,

Over the next few weeks, the Medicine forum is going to be running a weekly live discussion thread with a new hot topic each Wednesday. We’d love for all you would-be medics to jump in with your opinions! The mods will be on hand to guide discussion and get the ball rolling, but we want to hear what you guys think about issues relating to medical admissions.

The first thread kicks off at 7pm tonight with a discussion of how to run the perfect admissions process - if you were in charge, how would you pick tomorrows doctors? Keep an eye out for the thread later on today, it'd be lovely to hear what you've all got to say!

The thread is over here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks - I'll chase her up on her info about ..

Just reiterating that her individual module marks don't really matter as long as she's strong enough overall for her to tutor to predict her a 2.1 or above in her UCAS application. I didn't even bother including my module scores in the form and most people I know didn't either. the main focus in the application is what you're predicted overall. I actually averaged a 2.2 overall (thanks to anatomy!) in second year and still got an offer because my tutor predicted me the necessary 2.1 because he knew I could do it (which I did). So tell your friend not to worry, it sounds like she's more than strong enough academically!

As someone mentioned earlier the only time a transcript might be required is AFTER you've got an offer. Unlike a levels UCAS don't send your grades automatically to the place you're holding offers for so you have to send them your degree certificate or a transcript if you don't have one yet.

Best of luck to your friend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zedd
Nice score, but I'm not sure re: Glasgow, as they only interview the top ~600 right? Only time will tell I suppose but I think that might be borderline depending on how everyone is doing in the test this year. Fingers crossed for you! (ps- I'm also applying to Glasgow)

Last year I'm told that the cut-off for interview was 652.5, so I'm hopeful it won't have gone up too much! Fingers crossed anyway!

Do you mind me asking how you did on each section? :smile: Well done on the score though!
Original post by MJK91
Do you mind me asking how you did on each section? :smile: Well done on the score though!

Sure! I'll PM you :smile:
Sure! I'll PM you :smile:

Reply 1197
I was just wondering who do you use for a reference on the UCAS form? I have been out of Uni now for 3 years
Original post by Caspa
I was just wondering who do you use for a reference on the UCAS form? I have been out of Uni now for 3 years

Still ideally needs to be an ex-tutor but if they've left the university you can use your employer.
Original post by MJK91
Still ideally needs to be an ex-tutor but if they've left the university you can use your employer.

Personal tutor, or just any tutor who knows you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending