The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by MJK91
I suspect that's probably half the issue. I have got a response from Warwick today saying I'd still be assessed without it and if I score highly on other areas, with a good UKCAT and my 1st, I'd likely get a good score still so there's a good chance of selection for the assessment centre.

I do have voluntary work in the hospital and a first aid certificate. I'll try my best to swing that in my favour and hope I still pick up marks on their criteria for my stuff at home. If they don't want me, sod them :P

Good luck with your application btw, the Denmark system seems much more difficult to get into? Maybe it's just because it's unfamiliar to me haha.

Thanks very much!

It's not really complicated for the main route, Route 1, it just requires some fairly high grades at GCSE+AS+A2. You need certain subjects for both Route 1 and 2, so it's just a case of picking those up over the next 9 months or so for me. Luckily I got a reasonably high proportion of A*s at GCSE and As at A-Level (before the A*) so my GPA is reasonable - the only issue is that the way they translate English/Welsh/Northern Irish grades is a little harsh, and you get to multiply your score by 1.08 if you're applying within two years of getting your A-levels, which I'm not, and the Copenhagen GPA was really rather high for me last year and this year because of this.

Thankfully I think they're changing the way they calculate our grades (just English/Welsh/Northern Irish) for the next cycle, and if they stick to what I've seen so far, I should get 11-11.2ish (last year you needed 10.9 for immediate start at Copenhagen, this year you needed 11.1). Those in the subsequent few decimals get offered a standby place, where they're guaranteed entry the year after if not before. So hopefully it's just a matter of time for me.

Route 2 is where they take into account care work and voluntary work and all that other stuff, more like in the UK, but unfortunately it seems that Copenhagen is so insanely popular and has so few places via this route (as opposed to, for example, SDU where 50% of places are via it) that they require most or all of 1. a Bachelors in a Life Science, 2. a relevant stay abroad of 6 months or more, 3. paid work in care, 4. very high grades in the specified subjects, and so on. I would just stand no chance, and given that I have a life here in the outskirts with my other half, it would be very difficult for us to move across Denmark just so I can practically walk in to one of the other med schools with my GPA.
Original post by skyhook
When med schools request 'evidence of experience in a healthcare setting' (or whatever), I assume they just mean referring to it in your personal statement. Or do you reckon they require some harder evidence? Would be slightly untrusting of them if so, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people lied about this stuff on their PS....

Some places ask for proof (a basic reference stating you worked as a ... for x amount of time and a basic description of the job) but most don't. The only place I can think of at the moment is St George's, I think Notts ask for contact details of a supervisor/manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1222
Can anyone talk me through the process of applying grad med? :s-smilie:
Is it like A-Levels,you apply in your final year?

I'm starting Biomedical Science this September,any advice would be greatly appreciated :h:
Reply 1223
Original post by skyhook
When med schools request 'evidence of experience in a healthcare setting' (or whatever), I assume they just mean referring to it in your personal statement. Or do you reckon they require some harder evidence? Would be slightly untrusting of them if so, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people lied about this stuff on their PS....

My Liverpool offer was conditional on obtaining a reference from my manager at my HCA job. I think a few of the others had similar conditions.
Hi fellow Grad entry med applicants!:biggrin:
Would be sitting UKCAT next month, could anyone with a good result in UKCAT suggest which set of online practice questions i can subscribe for? (e.g Ace medicine, Medify etc)
Original post by Natasha001
Hi fellow Grad entry med applicants!:biggrin:
Would be sitting UKCAT next month, could anyone with a good result in UKCAT suggest which set of online practice questions i can subscribe for? (e.g Ace medicine, Medify etc)

I got 800 using Medify and two books(but mainly medify)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any experience with working as a bank sessional catering assistant in a community hospital? It says there's some patient contact in the context of meal service/cleaning but I'm sceptical as to how useful it might be.
Original post by Amyk89
I got 800 using Medify and two books(but mainly medify)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! well thanks:biggrin:
Reply 1228
Sorry this is such an over-asked question, but how much work experience is really needed for graduate entry medicine? Do you need more than a school leaver?
Original post by MJK91
I think the reference is far less important for GEM anyway. At undergraduate it really does build up a good picture of the applicant, but at graduate entry I think it's reasonable to expect that most of our experiences might be outside of university anyway.

Just get a bog standard academic confirming the usual details, and then send in a secondary reference from an employer as a character reference :smile:

Hi:biggrin:, saw this comment and it made me wonder, its just one reference we require for the UCAS form ryt?:colondollar:
Original post by Natasha001
Hi:biggrin:, saw this comment and it made me wonder, its just one reference we require for the UCAS form ryt?:colondollar:

Yes. Although if you're applying to Leicester they like a line manager reference (if you have an academic one on your UCAS)
Original post by Amyk89
Yes. Although if you're applying to Leicester they like a line manager reference (if you have an academic one on your UCAS)

Alright thanks!:biggrin:
I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever done Optometry and then graduate entry medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending