The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manu01
Hi, when you apply for these jobs, are you meant to state that you are a Gap year student ?

i wrote in the application i was doing it for work experience before i started medical school, they didnt seem to care ill only be doing it a year, i even said that in the interview :smile:

Original post by This Honest
A bit of a dilemma:

I don't really want to work as an HCA, so what other jobs can I pursue?
I've seen a lot but they don't interest.
The thought of being a waiter/sales assistant bores me too

this year isnt to do what you want to do, its to get experience to do your dream job... a doctor! a hca looks really good on ucas as its a **** job to be honest, but youll be doing **** like it whilst at uni and as a trainee doctor. if you really want to be a doctor just put up with wiping a few bums for a while :smile: but you can do other jobs obviously, medical style is better so go on nhs jobs.
Original post by J1994D

this year isnt to do what you want to do, its to get experience to do your dream job... a doctor! a hca looks really good on ucas as its a **** job to be honest, but youll be doing **** like it whilst at uni and as a trainee doctor. if you really want to be a doctor just put up with wiping a few bums for a while :smile: but you can do other jobs obviously, medical style is better so go on nhs jobs.

You sir, are right. :sigh:
Thanks

Original post by Jin3011
Train with St Johns ambulance and get a job in that field. My old college peer is currently working 2 jobs with them.

I hate St Johns. I had a negative experience with them, not going back :colonhash:

Original post by lcsurfer
Well considering im guessing your 18 with no prior experience not much...
Just do the job get some experience, if you don't want to be a HCA because it doesnt interest you wait until your a medical student on ward rounds or replacing bandages :wink:

Reply 582
You sir, are right. :sigh:
Thanks

I hate St Johns. I had a negative experience with them, not going back :colonhash:

What was this bad experience with St Johns ?
and can you actually work for them, i thought it was only volunteering ?
Original post by manu01
What was this bad experience with St Johns ?
and can you actually work for them, i thought it was only volunteering ?

Basicaly, I joined my division unit around June last year. So I was eligible to go on duties as a first aider
But the stupid admin lost my paperwork so I couldn't get my ID card.
No ID card=no duties

This went on till Jan 12. I kept on pestering the admin though my division manager but nothing was done. I kept on going to the training sessions every Monday but still couldn't go out on a duty.

So I left in jan without notice.
Still mad this till day :colonhash: complete shambles!! :angry:
#rant
Basicaly, I joined my division unit around June last year. So I was eligible to go on duties as a first aider
But the stupid admin lost my paperwork so I couldn't get my ID card.
No ID card=no duties

This went on till Jan 12. I kept on pestering the admin though my division manager but nothing was done. I kept on going to the training sessions every Monday but still couldn't go out on a duty.

So I left in jan without notice.
Still mad this till day :colonhash: complete shambles!! :angry:
#rant

st johns are terrible! i spent months endlessly ringing them to try and join but nobody would ever get back to me, in the end i switched to red cross and i was at their meetings two days later, two weeks later i had my ID and uniform to help fundraise while i did my first aid training
Original post by i_hate_ucas
st johns are terrible! i spent months endlessly ringing them to try and join but nobody would ever get back to me, in the end i switched to red cross and i was at their meetings two days later, two weeks later i had my ID and uniform to help fundraise while i did my first aid training

I tried red cross but at the end, I decided I didn't want to do first aid again :lol:
Oh well, at least I have a first aid qualification :lol:
I tried red cross but at the end, I decided I didn't want to do first aid again :lol:
Oh well, at least I have a first aid qualification :lol:

:hmmm: How long does it take to get a first aid qualification? If it isn't too long, I wouldn't mind doing it while I wait until I find a job :ninja:

Productivity ftw!
Original post by thegodofgod
:hmmm: How long does it take to get a first aid qualification? If it isn't too long, I wouldn't mind doing it while I wait until I find a job :ninja:

Productivity ftw!

It took me less than a day (4/5 hours) on my first time

I did first aid qualification again with St Johns but it was more advanced so it took me 2 days (9-4)
It took me less than a day (4/5 hours) on my first time

I did first aid qualification again with St Johns but it was more advanced so it took me 2 days (9-4)

Cool - thought it'd be a long-term thing :tongue:

Would it be okay if I checked their website and asked you some questions if I need some clarification? Cheers! :redface:
Original post by thegodofgod
Cool - thought it'd be a long-term thing :tongue:

Would it be okay if I checked their website and asked you some questions if I need some clarification? Cheers! :redface:

St Johns? Good luck mate :lol:
Yeah sure, happy to help :wink:
Reply 590
Would doing a masters degree between my bachelours and starting med school in sept 2013 be a problem?? I am just worried because it takes 12 months to do an Msc which starts in the end of sept and ends end of sept 2013. I am worried it will overlap with the medical course and if i start the masters and have to drop it , it will be such a waste of time and money:frown:. Its so hard to find a job and i wudnt wanna ''waste'' my gap year ... advice please anyone ???:confused:
Can't believe I haven't posted in here yet..

Good luck everyone, hope you make it this year. It's making me feel old now to think I was one of you reapplicants two years ago :shakecane:

You know where to find me if you need advice etc, or if you just fancy a chat (best to quote me on here for that, though no doubt I'll be spamming away over summer anyway..)

This will probably feel like the longest year of your life, but make it worth-while and have some fun too :wink:
Reply 592
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Can't believe I haven't posted in here yet..

Good luck everyone, hope you make it this year. It's making me feel old now to think I was one of you reapplicants two years ago :shakecane:

You know where to find me if you need advice etc, or if you just fancy a chat (best to quote me on here for that, though no doubt I'll be spamming away over summer anyway..)

This will probably feel like the longest year of your life, but make it worth-while and have some fun too :wink:

Would doing a masters degree between my bachelours and starting med school in sept 2013 be a problem?? I am just worried because it takes 12 months to do an Msc which starts in the end of sept and ends end of sept 2013. I am worried it will overlap with the medical course and if i start the masters and have to drop it , it will be such a waste of time and money. Its so hard to find a job and i wudnt wanna ''waste'' my gap year ... advice please anyone ???:confused:
Original post by lilmissA
Would doing a masters degree between my bachelours and starting med school in sept 2013 be a problem?? I am just worried because it takes 12 months to do an Msc which starts in the end of sept and ends end of sept 2013. I am worried it will overlap with the medical course and if i start the masters and have to drop it , it will be such a waste of time and money. Its so hard to find a job and i wudnt wanna ''waste'' my gap year ... advice please anyone ???:confused:

As long as you can still focus your attention on your application as well then go for it.
Oh and as long as you can afford that and then the medicine degree afterwards..

Are you sure it's the full 12 months? You might have seen one of the supermods on here named Democracy, he's just finished a Masters having done a bachelors before it and is due to start GEP medicine in September. So it's doable :yep:
Hello everyone!

Would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to see this thread and respond to it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2057790

We (TSR Medicine Mods) would love to get your opinions/thoughts on the page in question so we can try and improve it to make it more useful to you :smile:

Thanks,
PSQ
Has anyone posted their personal statement in the TSR help forum? Was it useful?
Has anyone posted their personal statement in the TSR help forum? Was it useful?

Still kinda working on it, not gonna post it till mid August
Still kinda working on it, not gonna post it till mid August

well my head of 6th form has gone insane and keeps ringing those of us who are reapplying to try and get our applications completed by results day. i'm not really sure why as im pretty sure she cant send it until september :tongue:
well my head of 6th form has gone insane and keeps ringing those of us who are reapplying to try and get our applications completed by results day. i'm not really sure why as im pretty sure she cant send it until september :tongue:

:lol:
I would take your time, doing lots of drafts, this is a medicine application, so time is needed :yes:
:lol:
I would take your time, doing lots of drafts, this is a medicine application, so time is needed :yes:

this is very true! also slightly worried how my exams results will turn out after spending too much time planning a gap year and not enough revising so maybe i should wait to check im actually applying to medicine again hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending