The Student Room Group

Retaking Final Year

Can apply for medicine if I’m retaking Y13? If so when can I apply if I’m retaking my A levels in May 2024 - TIA
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sail Gracia
Can apply for medicine if I’m retaking Y13? If so when can I apply if I’m retaking my A levels in May 2024 - TIA

Hi, do you have any extenuating circumstances that might have affected your performance in your A-levels?
Reply 2
Yes. Fairly compelling medical circumstances.
Yes. Fairly compelling medical circumstances.

If that is the case and you can substantiate that with a medical note and letter from your school then you can submit that to virtually any university that you want to apply to (some have different application procedures for extenuating circumstances) and be allowed to re-apply. Depending on the university that you want to apply to, you may need to email them the evidence prior to applying on UCAS, I'd check now as deadlines are coming up. Besides that, you will need to re-take the admissions exam for the University you want to apply to and acquire predicted grades from your school referee. From there you can submit a UCAS application normally, with your achieved A-level grades and pending grades which act as your re-take predictions.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Is this true even for medicine? I thought that once you’d taken A levels they’d always look at those initial efforts. Perhaps I’m wrong
(edited 7 months ago)
Is this true even for medicine? I thought that once you’d taken A levels they’d always look at those initial efforts. Perhaps I’m wrong

That is true, which is why I asked about your extenuating circumstances. Besides, I'm going through the same process right now.
Reply 6
That’s great. So even though I’m resitting A levels and repeating year, I can apply in October this year for medicine? I have the clinical evidence support documentation already. I’m very encouraged. Thank you. You say I should contact them directly and advise them I’ll be applying? Of course, Aldo good luck to you. Where are you applying for? Are there any more lenient than others? I’m assuming our grades have to be en point?
(edited 7 months ago)
That’s great. So even though I’m resitting A levels and repeating year, I can apply in October this year for medicine? I have the clinical evidence support documentation already. I’m very encouraged. Thank you. You say I should contact them directly and advise them I’ll be applying?

Each university will have unique conditions, some (like Oxford) allow you to submit your UCAS application and then any extenuating evidence to the Medical Sciences Division. On the other hand, Imperial College London stipulate that you must send any evidence to them by Mid-September so they may approve your permission to even apply via UCAS. I would narrow down 4 universities you want to apply to and rapidly check their website for more details.

If you're quick enough, there's no reason why you can't be doing Medicine this time next year at your favourite University.
So, assuming that they accept your extenuating circumstances, you will be assessed as a regular candidate. It will be as if you had never re-taken your A-levels in the first place. It goes without saying that you need good predicted grades, a minimum of A*AA for medicine at most universities. In the end, consider if the other aspects of your application: UCAS/BMAT, GCSEs and experience are good enough to form a competitive application for Medicine. In my case, the universities I am applying to (Imperial, UCL and Oxford) have strict cutoffs for the BMAT and do not take into account the A-levels in their initial interview shortlisting.
Reply 9
And we’re just emailing directly giving them advanced notification that we’re applying under these conditions. Ahead of UCAS. Checking their own specific requirements. Assuming we’d need to zoom up with BMAT ASAP too.
And we’re just emailing directly giving them advanced notification that we’re applying under these conditions. Ahead of UCAS. Checking their own specific requirements. Assuming we’d need to zoom up with BMAT ASAP too.

Exactly, each university has its own needs and requirements. Since I assume you have not done the UCAT, the BMAT will need to be your admissions test and could essentially make or break your chance in. In terms of preparation, I can give you a breakdown of what I'm planning on doing in the next 40 days until the examination. Besides that, you need to register with your school or local test center ASAP.
Reply 11
I actually did the BMAT last year but didn’t do well due to the aforementioned circumstances. And yes! That would absolutely fantastic. I do hope they accept my extenuating circumstances. These were the circumstances that permitted me to resit the year. When I say compelling, I hope compelling enough for them.
Reply 12
Last year I registered with an independent test centre and got extra time etc (despite that I still bummed a bit)
I actually did the BMAT last year but didn’t do well due to the aforementioned circumstances. And yes! That would absolutely fantastic. I do hope they accept my extenuating circumstances. These were the circumstances that permitted me to resit the year. When I say compelling, I hope compelling enough for them.

I totally believe in you, what your school provide in terms of evidence is crucial but it's worth giving every aspect of your application your best go. The earlier you prepare the better, I would start timetabling it now.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 14
The school won’t advocate for me. I don’t believe so anyway. I had to bust a gut to get back in under medical terms. I do believe my medical team would though, I was thinking that the terms that saw me resit the year might be enough.
The school won’t advocate for me. I don’t believe so anyway. I had to bust a gut to get back in under medical terms. I do believe my medical team would though, I was thinking that the terms that saw me resit the year might be enough.

Fair enough, a shame that your school won't support you though.
Reply 16
I mean, they’d certainly confirm I’m returning due to time missed due to medical condition (but they’d probably be pessimistic about my grades)… I guess that’s why I’m there! My mocks and GCSEs are very good. 8/9 A* in places relevant.
(edited 7 months ago)
I mean, they’d certainly confirm I’m returning due to time missed due to medical condition (but they’d probably be pessimistic about my grades)… I guess that’s why I’m there! My mocks and GCSEs are very good. 8/9 A* in places relevant.

Sounds solid, just focus on the next task and don't get overloaded by the ecstasy of potentially getting in and get sidetracked. Happened to me and I lost track of time lol
Reply 18
Do you think they’d consider me on my medical
Situation alone? Guess I can always try!
Reply 19
So, BMAT, UCAS application, mocks and then observe the cut off. Write to respective unis asking if they’d consider me on my special circumstances.
I think that’s it?

Quick Reply

Latest