The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Strategic Management Case Study Thread 2012

I was thinking that now that the pre-release case study is out, it'd be a good idea to start a thread and discuss some ideas about it.

I've read through it, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be focusing on. I'm planning on doing some analysis of the balance sheet as that seems like a good starting point. My teacher hasn't actually gone through it with our class yet, so I'm still in the dark about the sort of things I should be revising.

Has anyone gone through the case study yet? If so, what sort of things have you picked out. I've heard there is a similar structure to the paper every year, as in there is always a calculation question, a decision question and one on stakeholders etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm, I expected this thread to be more popular. I've read through the specification for this exam, and it seems incredibly long. What I usually do is just try to learn everything, but for this exam that seems impossible. Does anyone know of anything we definitely don't need to know?
Reply 2
Original post by Onion man
Hmm, I expected this thread to be more popular. I've read through the specification for this exam, and it seems incredibly long. What I usually do is just try to learn everything, but for this exam that seems impossible. Does anyone know of anything we definitely don't need to know?

critical path analysis will be on it based on that diagram
SO LEARN THAT
Reply 3
My class have gone through the case study briefly and we have looked at background info on how estate agents work etc. the process of buying a house just to get a clear idea how they operate and identifying key words.
My teacher has highlighted CPA, Balance sheets and macro economic influences as very important areas of focus, however these areas haven't been fully elaborated on as of yet because we only just started looking at the case study.... also my teacher picked up on Alistair the Fastidious Vendor in terms of how he operates and his stake in SLSL we also looked at stakeholders of SLSL and the last thing was the unprompted and prompted awareness of SLSL, they have 100% prompted awareness due to marketing costs of £400 every week SLSL INVEST this seems more like a Fixed Cost to the business.
Reply 4

yeah i agree the spec is very lengthy...+ only 6 or so questions will be asked :/ thats the sad thing about it!
the APT initiatives guide is very good it fully analyses the case study, so from that its possible to identify key areas but for now its too risky to rule things out until we know more about this case study.
Reply 5
Original post by Emy25
My class have gone through the case study briefly and we have looked at background info on how estate agents work etc. the process of buying a house just to get a clear idea how they operate and identifying key words.
My teacher has highlighted CPA, Balance sheets and macro economic influences as very important areas of focus, however these areas haven't been fully elaborated on as of yet because we only just started looking at the case study.... also my teacher picked up on Alistair the Fastidious Vendor in terms of how he operates and his stake in SLSL we also looked at stakeholders of SLSL and the last thing was the unprompted and prompted awareness of SLSL, they have 100% prompted awareness due to marketing costs of £400 every week SLSL INVEST this seems more like a Fixed Cost to the business.

You guys actually get the case study months before the exam? What exactly is the point of CPA and stuff then if you've memorized the obvious questions which are going to come. Fail board.
Reply 6
Original post by Azland
You guys actually get the case study months before the exam? What exactly is the point of CPA and stuff then if you've memorized the obvious questions which are going to come. Fail board.

The case study is 8 pages long, and the spec is ridiculously detailed. I'd probably prefer an unseen case study exam because the spec is generally quite concise, so I can just learn everything. But that doesn't seem an option with this.
Reply 7
The case study is 8 pages long, and the spec is ridiculously detailed. I'd probably prefer an unseen case study exam because the spec is generally quite concise, so I can just learn everything. But that doesn't seem an option with this.

Just find it weird because the Case Study in CIE is also about 6 pages long and pretty much just like the pre release one which you have. We've never seen it before the exam day though and our exam time is like 3 hours- longer then yours I think?
Reply 8
Original post by Azland
Just find it weird because the Case Study in CIE is also about 6 pages long and pretty much just like the pre release one which you have. We've never seen it before the exam day though and our exam time is like 3 hours- longer then yours I think?

Yeah, we only get 2 hours. It probably won't be too bad though, I had a similar one last year that was pre-release and got near full marks (111/120). But that seemed more straight-forward, and the text book we've been given is like 800 pages. So, I don't wanna go over anything I don't need to.
Reply 9
Original post by Emy25

wat does that mean unpromted awarness ?
thanks for the detailed response
Reply 10
Original post by wwelol
wat does that mean unpromted awarness ?
thanks for the detailed response

I think it means without using promotion. So basically, if none of the estate agents promoted their businesses then SLSL would be the one people were most aware of... I think. But I have literally no idea what relevance that has in terms of the exam.
Reply 11
I think it means without using promotion. So basically, if none of the estate agents promoted their businesses then SLSL would be the one people were most aware of... I think. But I have literally no idea what relevance that has in terms of the exam.

ok nice one bro
and i think an interest rate question might come up based on houses and stuff
wat u think?

im waiting for apt and tutor 2 u
Reply 12
Original post by wwelol
ok nice one bro
and i think an interest rate question might come up based on houses and stuff
wat u think?

im waiting for apt and tutor 2 u

It could do. I have no idea what sort of questions are likely to come up at the moment. Ahh, my school isn't getting either of those for our exam. Are they useful?
Reply 13
It could do. I have no idea what sort of questions are likely to come up at the moment. Ahh, my school isn't getting either of those for our exam. Are they useful?

wow man yeh they are
they give model answers on the likely questions

i dont like this case study man sucks big time
Reply 14
Original post by wwelol
wow man yeh they are
they give model answers on the likely questions

i dont like this case study man sucks big time

I know, too many weird tables I don't really understand.
Reply 15
I've read through the specification and the case study (again!), and I'm still really confused as to what I actually need to know. I hate this exam...

I figure we don't need to know about international implications, which seem to be in a lot of the bullet points of the spec. But stuff like ethics and environmental factors... do we need to know these? I'm so confused.
Reply 16
I've read through the specification and the case study (again!), and I'm still really confused as to what I actually need to know. I hate this exam...

I figure we don't need to know about international implications, which seem to be in a lot of the bullet points of the spec. But stuff like ethics and environmental factors... do we need to know these? I'm so confused.

i doubt it cause nothing in case mentions ethics or environemtn excpet for the hybrid vehicles
Reply 17
Hey, have been looking at this case-study for the past week now, and our teacher has had us looking at estate agencies as businesses and macro-economic factors at the moment. Waiting on APT notes to come out, when are they released does any one know? Anything else the case-study gives particular reference to? Thanks :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by oli_042
Hey, have been looking at this case-study for the past week now, and our teacher has had us looking at estate agencies as businesses and macro-economic factors at the moment. Waiting on APT notes to come out, when are they released does any one know? Anything else the case-study gives particular reference to? Thanks :smile:

Gahh, why is everyone getting these notes?! I don't get them :frown:
Reply 19
Gahh, why is everyone getting these notes?! I don't get them :frown:

Have you asked your sixth form/college about them? You can always get them yourself but they are quite pricey I think :/ !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending