The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Strategic Management Case Study Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by jessica_j
I thought that too but our teacher said that 'I' can be confused with '1' so OCR do not include 'I' for that reason. Don't know if thats true (???) but could be possible !!

You could well be right. But I'd keep an eye on it anyway!
Reply 381
Original post by Adster159
I've had a look at this one, and it's obvious to see that the Viewings (Task E) is the one that's the easiest to potentially shorten.

It's currently 62 days, in class we talked about how more agressive marketing can be used in hope to entise more viewings so that an offer can be potentially made quicker, as there are more people viewing the house.

Personal Selling was a main one for me, SLSL staff should attempt to push for a sale right from the off. Extra training might be needed for the Staff to be able to do this, consider costs as well. Estate Agents can actually show the customers around the house instead of the sellers, as they have a better knowledge of the housing market than the sellers, and are more likely to be able to answer detailed questions that re-assure customers.

Try to make SLSL seem more attractive as opposed to other competitors in the market, this can be done potentially buy using sales promotion, possibly in the form of a competition, something like that.

SLSL currently advertise in a 2 page spread in the local Oracle, they could attempt to draw more attention to this two page spread by using bigger fonts or attractive colours. Or signs that humans perceive to be 'a good buy' or a bargain. They also use Rightmove, they could make the layout of their houses on Rightmove more detailed or stand out more too.

The other task that's easy to talk about is to me probably task F, the offer/acceptance. This task can sometimes be shorter or longer, but SLSL can take steps to attempt to reduce the Task. Such as constantly advising the sellers and offers made to them and pushing them to accept these. Sellers are more likely to trust an estate agent as they have knowledge of the housing market.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but Task I is missing from the CPA.Could this just be a mistake by OCR or could it be something added to try and confuse us when we go into the exam?

This is all very well, and I might simply be confused. The question is talking about reducing the offer to completion time, so are we not looking at tasks F,G,H,K and L? Everything you've mentioned here will be more useful in actually getting people to use SLSL's service (more of a promotion sort of thing)
And things like conveyancing and getting finance are not in SLSL's control.

I might just be confused, though. If I am, please explain further.
Reply 382
Original post by Moyosola
This is all very well, and I might simply be confused. The question is talking about reducing the offer to completion time, so are we not looking at tasks F,G,H,K and L? Everything you've mentioned here will be more useful in actually getting people to use SLSL's service (more of a promotion sort of thing)
And things like conveyancing and getting finance are not in SLSL's control.

I might just be confused, though. If I am, please explain further.

I might of read his quote wrong, but I assume that when he says reducing the offer to completion time he means to shorten the CPA? As this question could well branch off the 'complete the CPA' question that's very likely to come up in the exam.

Using more aggressive marketing can allow Viewings to be shortened as more awareness is raised therefore more people are likely to be enticed to view the property, meaning an offer being potentially made quicker therefore shortening the time of the viewings. As the CPA states that it typically takes a time of 62 days before an offer is made.

This is all what my Teacher has told me that is relevant to this question that's also in my notes, don't shoot the messenger. :smile:
Reply 383
Original post by oli_042
I e-mailed my teacher earlier on today and he said this:

Node 1 0/0
Node 2 3/3
Node 3 5/5
Node 4 4/5
Node 5 67/67
Node 6 77/77
Node 7 20/135
Node 8 111/135
Node 9 135/135
Node 10 96/135
Node 11 141/141
Node 12 142/142

Is correct, so I'm just going to assume that this is the correct one, I think it's right as long as the critical path is found and the free float time is calculated correctly, it should be fine. And whoever is going to post the marketing strategy essay, thank you! :smile:

Just covered CPA this is correct! :smile:
Reply 384
I might of read his quote wrong, but I assume that when he says reducing the offer to completion time he means to shorten the CPA? As this question could well branch off the 'complete the CPA' question that's very likely to come up in the exam.

Using more aggressive marketing can allow Viewings to be shortened as more awareness is raised therefore more people are likely to be enticed to view the property, meaning an offer being potentially made quicker therefore shortening the time of the viewings. As the CPA states that it typically takes a time of 62 days before an offer is made.

This is all what my Teacher has told me that is relevant to this question that's also in my notes, don't shoot the messenger. :smile:

Not the whole CPA, have a look at the CPA again, specifically tasks F and L :smile: Viewings would not reduce the offer to completion time as it's task E which has to be done before starting F.
Reply 385
Original post by ATCAdam

For last node

Acitivity 12

Is the est 141 and the LFT is 142

Isn't activity 12 est 141 (135+6)

Activity 12 LFT is 142 (141+1) but for all the rest LFT you minus

???

Really confused in the last node

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Reply 386

Oh, I see.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 387

For this kinda question I'd also mention how a lot is out of SLSL's hands and depends largely on the macroeconomic environment and the actions of competitors. As a lot is out of SLSL's hands in terms of financing, conveyance and surveys all they can really do is progress chase.

Also how they could expand their peripheral income stream of conveyance to try and reduce the time down, but this would take custom away from Boddie's solicitors and as they are close links between the two it may be worth SLSL co-operating with him to see if he can complete the conveyance faster. But SLSL can't guarantee the vendor and purchaser will choose to use Boddie's solicitors.

Also branches may not be well equipped in terms of staff training and knowledge to offer an increase in the amount of conveyance, especially at a potentially understaffed branch like Stamton.
:smile:
Reply 388
Original post by ATCAdam
Not the whole CPA, have a look at the CPA again, specifically tasks F and L :smile: Viewings would not reduce the offer to completion time as it's task E which has to be done before starting F.

That's a very good point mate. I was a bit to broad and I didn't read correctly that he only said offer to completion.

What we covered in class was how to cover the whole CPA. Not just tasks between certain letters. I suppose the same method could apply though, just talk about ways on how to shorten the tasks between F-L :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by ATCAdam
For this kinda question I'd also mention how a lot is out of SLSL's hands and depends largely on the macroeconomic environment and the actions of competitors. As a lot is out of SLSL's hands in terms of financing, conveyance and surveys all they can really do is progress chase.

Also how they could expand their peripheral income stream of conveyance to try and reduce the time down, but this would take custom away from Boddie's solicitors and as they are close links between the two it may be worth SLSL co-operating with him to see if he can complete the conveyance faster. But SLSL can't guarantee the vendor and purchaser will choose to use Boddie's solicitors.

Also branches may not be well equipped in terms of staff training and knowledge to offer an increase in the amount of conveyance, especially at a potentially understaffed branch like Stamton.

:smile:

Thanks for this bit of information, very very helpful which I didn't think about. I should of found this forum a long time ago :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by ATCAdam

Just noticed I've learnt CPA wrong.

Is there any chance u can upload the answers for the total float?

Thank very appreciated!!!!

Reply 391
Original post by oli_042
I e-mailed my teacher earlier on today and he said this:

Node 1 0/0
Node 2 3/3
Node 3 5/5
Node 4 4/5
Node 5 67/67
Node 6 77/77
Node 7 20/135
Node 8 111/135
Node 9 135/135
Node 10 96/135
Node 11 141/141
Node 12 142/142

Is correct, so I'm just going to assume that this is the correct one, I think it's right as long as the critical path is found and the free float time is calculated correctly, it should be fine. And whoever is going to post the marketing strategy essay, thank you! :smile:

Is there any chance you can upload your total float answers please

Is would be very helpful

Thank you much appreciated!!!!!

Reply 392
Is the correct for told float

Node 2 -3
Node 3 0
Node 4 0
Node 5 -62
Node 6 -10
Node 7 98
Node 8 -10
Node 9 -58
Node 10 20
Node 11 -6
Node 12 -1

Thank you

Anyone got anything that is really likely to come up other than CPA for each section or any predictions ?
Reply 394
Original post by jdwilliamson
Anyone got anything that is really likely to come up other than CPA for each section or any predictions ?

My Teacher really seems to think implementing and managing change will come up. Specifically on implementing the change in bonus structure.
My Teacher really seems to think implementing and managing change will come up. Specifically on implementing the change in bonus structure.

Yeah we've been revising that, thank you for the reply , I'll get on it!
Reply 396
Original post by ameena.milly
For last node

Acitivity 12

Is the est 141 and the LFT is 142

Isn't activity 12 est 141 (135+6)

Activity 12 LFT is 142 (141+1) but for all the rest LFT you minus

???

Really confused in the last node

The LFT and EFT for the last node 12 is 142.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7wDtP24hU
Reply 397
Original post by jdwilliamson
Yeah we've been revising that, thank you for the reply , I'll get on it!

No problem mate.

I did a mock essay for that question and got an A in it, really hope it comes up :smile:
Reply 398
Original post by ATCAdam
The LFT and EFT for the last node 12 is 142.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7wDtP24hU

Thank you

Have u got the answers for the total float?

Thanks

No problem mate.

I did a mock essay for that question and got an A in it, really hope it comes up :smile:

What were your main points ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending