The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G485: Fields, Particles & Frontiers of Physics - June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mack94
Feel like hanging myself after that exam lool

I'm about to, wanna join? :colone:
Original post by 4 Mathlete the win
I got it as 0.21cm

When you plug it back in e^(-0.033*21) it gives 0.5, so I'm fairly sure 21 was the right answer.
Reply 1182
Original post by Picture~Perfect
If no-one has beaten me to it, I was going to copy the paper and provide a link.

please do! i'm going crazy here, i think i've done terribly
Original post by jamie3009
what did people get for working the activity out using your answer to b.i on about question 2 or 3? My mind whent blank and i couldnt do it. Must have been easy as it was only 1 mark

That took me ages to work out until I realised: P = E/t and 1/t = A, so P = EA etc.
:smile:
Reply 1184
Original post by Madrid Apple
When you plug it back in e^(-0.033*21) it gives 0.5, so I'm fairly sure 21 was the right answer.

You were meant to leave it in CM's not convert it

Edit: unless you specified M^-1
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1185
Original post by Jetblast

maybe we should all meet and do it together :P
Reply 1186
Wasn't it 3.33 cm though, so ln(2)/0.033=21

It asked for it in cm didnt it?
I put 2100cm

But the value was given to you in cm. 3.33cm

Hence if you do e^-(3.33*0.21) you also get 0.5

I found the paper nice :smile:
Reply 1188
Wasn't it 3.33 cm though, so ln(2)/0.033=21

to convert it from centimetres to metres you do 3.33*(10^-2)^-1 because mew is measured in cm^-1
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1189
for the nuclear fission question, how did people work out the energy produced by the reactor core?
Reply 1190
I think it went alright overall... there just seemed to be a few strange questions. :/

Two properties of X-rays anyone? I put 1. short wavelength 2. can cause ionisation

Definitely messed up the one about the alpha particle and the gold nucleus... the graph and the 2 mark for explaning why the gold nucleus is moving when the alpha stops. :frown:
Original post by jamesvernon
But the value was given to you in cm. 3.33cm

Hence if you do e^-(3.33*0.21) you also get 0.5

I found the paper nice :smile:

Yeah but you have to convert it to m before doing the equation.

And yeah the answer may have been in cm, can't remember, then 2100 cm
kind of hate my life now..... reading posts is depressing...
Original post by jahani08
for the nuclear fission question, how did people work out the energy produced by the reactor core?

You knew the total output, and the % converted to electrical.

So the Amount of electrical / 0.22 = The output of the core.

Sorry i don't remember numbers
Reply 1194
Original post by Jetblast

Before you do that, may I say one thing:
:bl:
Yeah but you have to convert it to m before doing the equation.

And yeah the answer may have been in cm, can't remember, then 2100 cm

You don't *HAVE* to convert it to metres. Just as long as you change your units to keep it correct. and since it wanted it in cm's anyway, you didnt have to convert.
Reply 1196
Original post by mfmdanny
At the time, I thought quite well, I missed a few questions. But when I look back I'm not sure, I want to look at the paper.

You?

Same...I thought it wasn't too bad, but after reading all these posts...maybe not.

I am hoping the grade boundaries are lower than they were in January!
Original post by jamesvernon
You don't *HAVE* to convert it to metres. Just as long as you change your units to keep it correct. and since it wanted it in cm's anyway, you didnt have to convert.

Normally you'd be right, but as it's an exponential the rules are different, and in the book you'll see that the attenuation coefficient for Bone is 53 m^-1

im sure you couldve done either to work out the right answer. if you used metres for the value of attenuation constant then you must calculate distance in metres then convert to cms again. i left everything in cms, and got 3.3 as value of mew, e^-3.3*0.21 gives you 0.5 also.
Reply 1199
Original post by SS*
Same...I thought it wasn't too bad, but after reading all these posts...maybe not.

I am hoping the grade boundaries are lower than they were in January!

Definitely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending