The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: In That Category These Are Nominated - Overrated and Underrated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
OVERRATED: NUTELLA. Come on now, people. It's not like you've just been given free roam in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory with a bunch of naked models and handed a card for infinite money. IT'S A SPREAD. CHILL THE HELL OUT.

UNDERRATED: CROWNFIELD NOUGAT PILLOWS. Okay, so I rant on and on about them enough now that I can soon hardly call them "underrated" I guess... but for the time being I WISH TO CHAMPION THEM. Krave tastes like old tramp fart compared to them.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: BEEF FLAVOURED ITEMS?
Reply 181
Overrated: Beef flavoured crisps. They're NOT the best flavour so stop telling me they are! Also, beef jerky. I think it's just a bit weird, but people seem to think its like amazing?!

Underrated: Beef OXO cubes, because they can add a lovely twist to a meal, like soup or gravy!

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED OF PASTA DISHES?
Reply 182
OVER: Spag bol. It's so popular and everyone can cook it so must be overrated although I do like it. Also spaghetti is a pain in the ass to eat.

UNDER: Lasagne. I love the abundance of cheese which is great for any chips on side.

OVER and UNDER of ITEMS FROM THE ICECREAM VAN
OVER: Magnum. Going to an ice cream van and ordering a magnum, is like going to a brother and ordering a ****. You can do it yourself at home, you're probably paying more for it..and there's a lot more on offer.

UNDER: I'd say Mr Whippy, because they're the ultimate from a van BUT I think everyone loves these so they couldn't be under-rated. So I'll say SCREWBALLS. That little prize at the bottom, the fun shaped cone. Awwwh, screwballs, I love you.

Over and under of JAPENESE FOODS
Reply 184
UNDER: Hello Kitty Biscuits. They are SUPER nice.

OVER: Rice Bowls. I find them kinda plain! I want more than just rice! And Kit-Kats, everyone goes on and on about the flavours - sure they're cool but just ssh!

OVER AND UNDER OF FRENCH DISHES?
over - steak et frites, cos i hate steak.

under - merlot... ahhhhhhhhhh :smile:

over and under of greggs food?
Reply 186
Over: Tuna Crunch sandwich. The bread is SO thick and the addition of onion into what could be a lovely tuna sandwich is devastating. Also their cheese and pepperoni pizza things... I come to Greggs for pastry goodness, not a badly done dominos wannabe. If I wanted pizza, trust me I wouldn't be here. And jam doughnuts- give it a rest, sure they're nice but I'm so bored of them now!

Under: Greggs 70p Ham In a Crusty Roll. These things are amazing; FACT. Yum Yums and gingerbread men are pretty underrated as cakey options go but they're actually really great in my view!

Under and over of salad recipes?
Original post by dani_1991
Over: Tuna Crunch sandwich. The bread is SO thick and the addition of onion into what could be a lovely tuna sandwich is devastating. Also their cheese and pepperoni pizza things... I come to Greggs for pastry goodness, not a badly done dominos wannabe. If I wanted pizza, trust me I wouldn't be here. And jam doughnuts- give it a rest, sure they're nice but I'm so bored of them now!

Under: Greggs 70p Ham In a Crusty Roll. These things are amazing; FACT. Yum Yums and gingerbread men are pretty underrated as cakey options go but they're actually really great in my view!

Under and over of salad recipes?

Over: Greek salad. It's so raved about, like it's meant to be something fancy and sophisticated. Oh, you're having a salad? Oh great..OH IT'S GREEK? WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO? No. It's just cubes of feta and some oregano and olives with usually poor quality lettuce. It has no skill. Stavros the salad, do one.

Under: Russian salads. Okay, so they're not healthy..but my oh my, the russians know how to do their salad dressings. If you haven't tried one, you really must..salad and vodka, the russians do it good.

over and under of pineapple dishes?
Reply 188
Over: baked pineapple in rum. Alcohol and dessert... NO! Pineapple in sweet and sour chicken/prawns. It's nice and all but Jeeze, it's not like WOW. And battered /deep fried pineapple from the chippy; it's nice but not amazing, so overrated in my view! Makes for disappointment when you do try it!

Under: ham and pineapple pizza; am I the only person in the world who likes this?!? Pineapple sorbet is REALLY nice, and so is dried pineapple! So moist and juicy! Also, pineapple and mint sauce is AMAZING.

Over and under of battered foods?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 189
OVER: Fish. Fish and chips gets loads of praise but battered fish isn't anything remarkable.

UNDER: Yorkshire puddings. They add a bit of an x factor to a roast dinner.

OVER and UNDER of CHEESE FLAVOURED CRISPS?
Reply 190
Over: Doritos, cheese and onion crisps and cheese balls. All RAVED about but such better options exist!

Under: cheese savouries! Little party nibbles of joy! The posh 'cheddar cheese and ....' crisps are also good!

Over and under of things with ham in?
over: the regular ham sandwich, i'd rather have roast beef or chicken any day.
under: jamón ibérico by itself or with a bit of cheese, tapas style. best ham in the world, shame it's so damn expensive!

over/under of fried chinese snacks/side orders?
Reply 192
Over: prawn toasts ... Yeah they're nice but usually theyre so greasy!

Under: Seaweed! Everyone seems seaweed averse but I actually love it!

Over and under of Greek pastries/dessert?
I don't know greek desserts, do anuvvva Dani!
Reply 194
Over and under of microwave desserts
Over and under of microwave desserts

Thanks bebs.

OVER: CAKE IN A CUP. This became some phenomenon..yeah, let's make cake in a mug. That's a great idea! Why is it? Why not make an ACTUAL cake? Or just buy one? It explodes, isn't as good or even close to properly cooked cake. You spend the time eating it thinking yeah this is pretty okay...considering I cooked it in the microwave! Hows about dont cook it in the michaelwave and PROPERLY enjoy cake.

UNDER: Weight Watchers sticky toffee puddings. Probably only under as they're pretty new so people aren't aware of them yet. But I'm very critical of weight watchers usually, but these are a GOOD shout.

over and under of BISCUITS by Mcvities?
Reply 196
Original post by MelissaJayne
Thanks bebs.

OVER: CAKE IN A CUP. This became some phenomenon..yeah, let's make cake in a mug. That's a great idea! Why is it? Why not make an ACTUAL cake? Or just buy one? It explodes, isn't as good or even close to properly cooked cake. You spend the time eating it thinking yeah this is pretty okay...considering I cooked it in the microwave! Hows about dont cook it in the michaelwave and PROPERLY enjoy cake.

UNDER: Weight Watchers sticky toffee puddings. Probably only under as they're pretty new so people aren't aware of them yet. But I'm very critical of weight watchers usually, but these are a GOOD shout.

over and under of BISCUITS by Mcvities?

S'my pleasure me dear :biggrin:

OVER: Milk Chocolate Digestives. Yeah, they're good. But for double the price of most other milk chocolate digestives that taste almost EXACTLY the same? Yeah, I'ma say overrated.

UNDER: It's hard to find something Mcvities that isn't ranted and raved about, so maybe Mint Penguins. I used to LOVE these when they came out. Mcvities_Penguin_Mint_9_Pack.jpg

over and under of carbohydrate based snacks?
S'my pleasure me dear :biggrin:

OVER: Milk Chocolate Digestives. Yeah, they're good. But for double the price of most other milk chocolate digestives that taste almost EXACTLY the same? Yeah, I'ma say overrated.

UNDER: It's hard to find something Mcvities that isn't ranted and raved about, so maybe Mint Penguins. I used to LOVE these when they came out. Mcvities_Penguin_Mint_9_Pack.jpg

over and under of carbohydrate based snacks?

Over: Nachos. I'd never pick these if I wanted an indulgent, carby snack. Alone, they dont have a great taste whatsoever. They're only nice if they're paired with a nice dip..so basically, its the dip I like, not the nachos.

Under: A plain slice of bread and butter. Oh my god, mid-day slumps, go make yourself a slice of bread and butter. Simply that. So easy but so perfect.

over and under of chocolate?
Original post by MelissaJayne
Over: Nachos. I'd never pick these if I wanted an indulgent, carby snack. Alone, they dont have a great taste whatsoever. They're only nice if they're paired with a nice dip..so basically, its the dip I like, not the nachos.

Under: A plain slice of bread and butter. Oh my god, mid-day slumps, go make yourself a slice of bread and butter. Simply that. So easy but so perfect.

over and under of chocolate?

OVERATED: Mars Bars!!!!! Honestly, they may have been like the first popular chocolate or something but HELLO times are changing! (ditto for Milky Way!)

UNDERATED: Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. OMG (plus its so rare to find them in the UK!!)

okay.. Over and Under of Haribo sweets?!
Reply 199
Over: cola bottles. Everyone rants and raves about them but supermarket own brand sugary cola bottles are so much better!

Under: haribo jelly babies. They're harder than normal jelly babies but still chewy and damn good!

Over and under of foods that you heat up?

Quick Reply

Latest