The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: In That Category These Are Nominated - Overrated and Underrated!

Scroll to see replies

OVER: Probably EAST END foods. Jellied eels? Cockles? That rank liquour they DOUSE my pie in? Behave guv'nor! I don't care if it's "tradition"...IT'S SHIIIT

UNDER:Bubble and squeak. Oh, we are a resourceful bunch. Leftovers, turned into a dish which often tastes better than the original dinner? WHY DON'T PEOPLE EAT THIS MORE?

over and under of foods from a cow?
OVER: Milk! I mean, it's fine on cereal but that's the only time I have it. I can't understand how people can glug back glasses of it like theres no tomorrow. The only thing that makes it bearable to drink is adding chocolate powder to it.

UNDER: Beef jerky. It's salty, it's meaty, it's chewy... and sadly more popular in America than in the UK. An excellent snack that quite a lot of people find 'disgusting'.

OVER and UNDER of: Sauces used to dip your chips in.
Reply 422
OVER: Mayonnaise, I've never got it. Surely Tommy K is by far a better accompaniment? Stop with the egg dip! If you want egg that much, just have egg and soldiers.

UNDER: Mustard. Now I'm not talking a huge dollop of it, unless you wanna blow your head off, I'm talking just a little dip. I think they work really well. It's that or Nando's Lemon and Herb sauce, screw the medium+, it's all about the wimpy heat :biggrin:

OVER AND UNDER OF THINGS TO HAVE ON NACHOS
OVER: Guacamole - I just don't rate it, it tastes strange and certainly does not complement the already salty taste of nachos. I think people just use it for colour.

UNDER: Red onion, slice a little bit of this over your nachos and you're in heaven, it adds another dimension, and a completely different kind to hot salsa (of course you eat it with salsa, sour cream and cheese too, that'd be weird otherwise).

OVER AND UNDER OF: Vegetarian alternatives to meat products.
OVER: Sausages. Vegetarian sausages. Now, some..are REALLY nice. Like Linda McCartney ones. But a LOT, especially ones you'll get served in a cafe breakfast or something, are really poor. I want some flavour, don't just roll up soya protein into a sausage shape and then call it a sausage.

UNDER: Quorn "chicken" style fillets with Lime and Chilli. These are fairly new, and they are amazing. It's a shock to me how the addition of the marinade can transform the fillet from standard to suppppppppppper. The BBQ ones aren't bad either. I'm the only person I know who buys them, hence, the "under" rated.

over and under of BBQ food
Reply 425
OVERRATED: SAUSAGES.
I was going to say Burgers, but at every barbecue there are always a million leftover sausages nobody wants, blackened phalluses with a core of raw. At least people EAT the burgers and if the insides of those are a tad pink, all the better for flavour!!

UNDERRATED: PRAWN SKEWERS.
The ironic thing is people are scared they'll give them food poisoning yet prawns cook through exceptionally quick, and taste gorgeous charred!

OVER AND UNDER OF... POTATO-TOPPED PIES?
OVER: Sheperds pie. It's good but..it's a bit, overdone? And when my Mum says "sheperds pie for tea tonight" I am sad that I have come to realise she doesn't mean a lush homemade one, but a family sized stick in the oven jobby. It's just too easy to cut corners now. And it's simple enough to make as it is!!!

UNDER:Fishermans pie. As a fish lover, this was a given. But again, not ready meal ones for me please. I want juicy chunks of smoked haddock, cod, (even salmon) and I'm not usually a fan. And then thick creamy mash atop. Sometimes I like crushed cornflakes atop that to make it crispy too. Or breaded prawns. BEAUT.

over and under of SNACKS YOU PICK AT
Reply 427
OVER: Was going to go with Cinema popcorn, but I'll stick with crisps. I really don't get why people love them so much. Millions of packets of crisps are sold every week in the UK and it baffles me. Crisps aint all that*.

UNDER: Nuts. I love nuts. All types of nuts. Gimme dem nuts.

*BBQ Pringles and Chilli Heatwave Doritos are, of course, exempt from this opinion :pierre:

Over and under of DINNER PARTY DESSERTS.
Reply 428
OVER: Profiteroles. Every dinner party seems to have em! I mean, there ain't nothin' wrong with some pastry cream and chocolate sauce, don't get me wrong, but it does seem a staple 'people pleasing' dessert, no-one can really HATE profiteroles, really.

UNDER: Crumble. It can be served hot or cold to suit the occasion, with ice cream, cream or custard, or even plain. Simple yet so good.

OVER AND UNDER OF AMERICAN-Style FOOD RESTAURANT FOODS? (Hardrock cafe, TGI Fridays etc)
Over: burger and fries. Done to death! And fries aren't a shadow on homemade chips or even choppy chips. And often the burgers taste cheap. 1-0 to Britain this time.

Under: lobster rolls. Why do all these other countries offer so accessible affordable lobster yet it's once in a blue moon I ever see it here? Soft toll, hopefully buttery, sweet lobster. Delicious.

Over and under of Mint in foods

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 430
OVER: MINT AND CHOCOLATE. Alright already, we get it, its good. After Eights are pretty damn lovely but Mingles? CRUSHING DISAPPOINTMENT. I did used to like the Dairy Milk with Mint Chips in, they have em in Ireland and I think I may have to buy one. They also have the one with crunchie bits in. And tiffin bars, but I digress.

UNDER: MINT AND MANGO. WITH CRAB PREFERABLY. It's so good, and no-one believes me that fruit mint and crab/lobster goes together. Mint sauce is epic with most things in my opinion to be honest. Mint sauce RULES. Fact.

OVER AND UNDER OF: OATS
Reply 431
OVERRATED: "GOURMET" MUESLI AND GRANOLAS.
I continue my detest of these waste of money, insanespensive medleys. By no means healthy and in some cases having more sugar and fat than a large slice of chocolate fudge cake first thing in the morning, the big "SO NATURAL WHOLESOME FARMED WITH SO MUCH LOVE" nonsense isn't fooling me.

UNDERRATED: OATIBIX.
A Weetabix product, underrated? U nuts?
No. I no nuts.
I hear it ripped on constantly, but after my wee nephew became gluten intolerant, his favourite cereal on earth, Weetabix, was off the table. Oatibix came to the rescue! But after tasting it numerous times after my initial "Ugh, tastes weird, like Weetabix's retard cousin", I came to appreciate a more "Cheerio" flavour and a brand new, expert level "milk window" - Yes, believe it, OATIBIX SOGGENS EVEN QUICKER THAN WEETS. Challenge accepted. Should be viewed as a unique, tasty beast.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE BISCUITS?
OVER: Tunnocks caramel bars. I mean, yeah they're great and everything but I find them to be a bit too thick to bit into properly and too chewy to really be enjoyed. It takes so much effort to work through the caramel gluing your teeth together.

UNDER: Caramel chocolate digestives from McVities. Okay, it may sound a bit of an overload but they get the balance between the caramel, the chocolate and the biscuit just right for me, making it something that is a delight to eat. The only problem is they're so moorish you can end up eating half the packet if you're not careful!

OVER and UNDER of: Curry dishes.
Over: Tikka Masla. it's not that bad as a dish; but it's not exactly brilliant either. There are many much nicer dishes.

Under: Malayan. Very few Indian places seem to sell this. It's tasty, has pineapple, isn't bland (a la korma) and isn't so spicy that I need to drink after to get rid of the taste.

Over and under rated of Greek dishes?
OVER: Greek salad. WHAT IS THIS? It's all so...cold. And chunks of feta, mm, I can think of things better. Olives? Defo no go for me. Everything about this screams Melissa's dislikes, basically.

UNDER: Ah, what's it called. The lamb thing, Kleftiko? Ah I had it in Rhodes. Outstanding, fall of the bone, rich in flavours. Simply beautiful to taste, even if not a stunning looker.

Over and under of plain biscuits (no creme filling, no nuts,no chocolate chips etc)
Reply 435
OVERRATED: DIGESTIVE.
Everywhere I go, it's jestive citayy. They're great, sure, but a heartier hobnob or a humble rich tea isn't TOO far off, guys. They're epic, but they're JUST... BISCUITS.

UNDERRATED: LOTUS BISCUITS
Low fat, low cal, INSANE BURST OF FLAVOUR. Every bite is an explosion of grain, dark sugar, ginger-infused caramel.

WHY ARE YOU NOT EATING ONE RIGHT NOW??

OVER AND UNDER OF... CHOCOLATE CAKE BAR VERSIONS OF REGULAR CHOC BARS?
Reply 436
OVER: Shortbread. How many people rate this as like a GOD food? It's alright yeah, but jeeze give it a rest guys! (sept you Mel, you're allowed, just fyi)

UNDER: The Hovis biscuits that look like miniature loaves of bread. Everyone looks at me like I'm MAD when i nibble one but I really like how they taste... There's something just slightly sweet about them, and they have a nice texure. It's like the peppered jacobs crackers, there's something tasty about them plain too.

OVER AND UNDER OF BREAKFAST BUFFET ITEMS?
Reply 437
Dani got ninjad.
Reply 438
First day back and ninjad straight away. S'good to be home <3

OVER: MILKY WAY CAKE BARS. Yeah, they are good, Milky way is a great chocolate bar, unless they did something horrificly wrong, I dunno how this bar wouldnt be pretty good. But the cake just isnt right, it's not a Milky Way Bar, what I really wanted, its an imitation, and I wanted soft nougat coated chocolate. Sponge cake, chocolate and 'creamy filling' just doesn't REALLY satisfy the milkyway craving.

UNDER: JAFFA CAKE BARS. I know everyone says they're crap, but I think compared to a jaffa cake, they're spot on. They really have the balance of orange, dark choc and cake perfected and I actually really like them. So leave meh alone alwright ye bully?!

OVER AND UNDER OF BREAKFAST BUFFET ITEMS?
Thanks DeeDee, you know how me loves me bread. Me loves it short.

OVER: Fruit. Like, seriously? It's always ****e fruit too. Like, melon? What are you, slightly tangy water forms? They even look faded in colour..like their faded tastes. Plus, what's fruit going to do to break your fast?

UNDER: Definitely pain au chocolat. Why on earth would you pick a plain croissant over one of these babies? They're like croissants, injected with love. Love, being chocolate, obviously. Heated as well - warm and gooey, like a hug in the morning. In my MOUTHHHH.

Over and under of BAKIN BOYS products

Quick Reply

Latest