The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: In That Category These Are Nominated - Overrated and Underrated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
OVER: I was going to say the Dessert Corners, but they aren't THAT hyped, and they are pretty tasty (the Apple one in particular). So instead, I'll say:
IDShot_225x225.jpg
Muller Corner Crunch Chocolate Digestive
It's just vanilla yoghurt and mini biscuits. Screw that, give me a vanilla yoghurt and a packet of chocolate digestives! I prefer the Strawberry Shortcake one by far, more flavour and more fun!

UNDER: The simple fruit ones, IDShot_225x225.jpg (Muller Corner Fruit Blackberry And Raspberry for instance) are often underrated in my experience, but even more, I say that the Muller Corner Breakfast Yogurts are underrated the most. IDShot_225x225.jpg. The tropical or strawberry ones are both good, and provide for a delightful change to the chocolate flavour, or simple yoghurt and fruit tastes. Granola and yoghurt is a pretty good duo.

OVER AND UNDER OF MULLER LIGHT FLAVOURS
Reply 781
OVERRATED: MULLER LIGHT GREEK.

Now, I think these actually taste *okay* - but this isn't "best and worst", it's "overrated and underrated". And if I have to see this god damned centaur woman advert any more, about how HOW CAN THIS BE FAT FREE?! IT'S A MYTH! BLARBARBARB. But for all their claims, this "Greek 'styled' yoghurt still has almost double the calories of ACTUAL Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt. Which just goes to show that Muller are talking out of their horse-backsides.

UNDERRATED: DARK CHOCOLATE COCONUT/BANANAS AND CUSTARD.

Tasting like proper Bounty and actual Banana Custard respectively, it's a wonder these aren't carried in more shops. I ALWAYS see the fruit flavours and perhaps one or two of the Chocolate sprinkled ones, but in terms of emulating an ACTUAL pudding in low-calorie forms, these are bang-on.

The first tastes like the REAL ORIGINAL Bounty (the red-wrapper dark chocolate version) whilst I have a nostalgic soft spot for good Banana Custard as it was one of my favourite childhood puddings. MORE SHOPS, STOCK PLEASE.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: FOOD YOU ONLY BUY IN THE FESTIVE SEASON/CHRISTMAS TIME?
Reply 782
I love the festive food that comes out at Christmas! I get all excited going food shopping! Well, more excited than usual :tongue:

OVER: MINCE PIES.
Attachment not found
Everyone always buys them, and they seem to hardly ever get actually eaten. Parties and households alike, plates of pies left barely touched. Can I offer you a mince pie? Maybe a few Celebrations/Quality Street? Chocolate wins every time, yet mince pies remain highly rated, shoppers everywhere stocking their trolleys high of the undesired cake. Root for the underdog and get puff pastry ones, you won't regret it!

UNDER: I really love the unusual type Christmas foods that come out like Tesco's Mince pie flapjacks-
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275279675
I recently tried these, and they're really tasty :biggrin:
But of the normal Christmas things... It's gotta be Stollen. I LOVE the stuff, but everyone looks at me like I'm mad when I talk about it! How has no one heard of them?! Like really?! Icing sugar, cake, marzipan and fruit... Delicious stuff! And no real popularity. WHY?! It's like Florentines, but even worse. Stollen bites are the best. 060281.jpg

OVER AND UNDER OF BISCUITS YOU BUY AT CHRISTMAS
Over: gingerbread in all its forms, I find it too dry!

Under: Lebkuchen! I know it's similar to gingerbread but it comes in so many different varieties, from iced to chocolate covered. feels more Christmassy than regular gingerbread.

Over and under of curry/Indian ready meals?
Reply 784
OVER: Tesco chicken tikha masala. I once sung its praise because there's a generous amount of meat, but now I have changed my mind. The rice is so bland its unreal, the meat is too watery and the actual curry sauce is so so.

UNDER: Birdseye frozen chicken curry with rice. As often is the case with birdseye, it's not outstanding but tis pretty decent value for the price.

OVER and UNDER of SAUCES (not including tomato ketchup)

Reply 785
OVER: BURGER SAUCE. It doesn't get a huge rep, but the rep it DOES get is unearned. What even is 'burger sauce'?! It's just weird. Ill stick to TK thanks.

UNDER: MINT SAUCE. Great with meats, fish and salads; sharp and distinct yet still subtle. Beautiful! Adds a real new element to dishes, Mint sauce on Mango and Crab salad being one of my favourite dishes.

OVER AND UNDER OF USES OF BREAD
Reply 786
OVER: Naan bread alongside a curry and rice. I love naan bread as a starters with table dips, but I really don't see how naan bread is required alongside carby rice in a main course curry. It's over INDULGENCE and distracts from the main course, in effect downplaying the special fried rice.

UNDER: Buttered French bread slices as a starter. Too appeitising.

OVER and UNDER of FANTA PRODUCTS
Over: fanta fruit twist' I used to love it but I find it goes flat far too quickly if you buy it in a 500ml bottle

Under: fanta lemon, lovely alternative to lemonade and reminds me of European holidays

Over and under of oat so simple flavours?
Reply 788
Over: Golden Syrup. Just tastes like chemicals!

Under: Just plain, mhmmmmmmmmm.

Over and under pizza toppings?
Reply 789
OVER: DEEP PAN MEAT FEAST. whole lot of processed meat, some of which VERY questionable looking, on top of a thick bread base. At least have a thin pan if you're gonna go for this. It's so greasy and heavy and just urg. And yet everyone hypes it up like it's amazing.

UNDER: THIN PAN SEAFOOD PIZZAS. Plain margaritas aren't really underrated, but I find seafood pizzas really are. Everyone looks at you like you've suggested a vomit pizza or something. Ain't nothing wrong with some tuna and anchovies on a pizza, and chuck on some mini prawns and you got yourself a delightfully different and tasty pizza. Which isn't smothered in grease I might add.

OVER AND UNDER OF FOODS CONTAINING ANOTHER FOOD
Reply 790
OVERRATED: KILTED SAUSAGES.

Or "Pigs in Blankets" if you prefer the American name. Every second post on TSR is championing them, and can you think of a bettter definition of "overrated" than that?! They ARE good. DEADLY good. But they are overrated to BUGGERY.

UNDERRATED: STUFFED SPROUTS.

I actually LOVE sprouts, but people regard them cruelly as some kind of devil spawn. Well, NOBODY can say a bad thing about stuffed sprouts, surely, despite the fact I bet half of you have never heard of this. This underrated gem takes something nobody usually craves ('cept me) and makes it TURBO with garlic and herb cheese inside. Nobody's talking about these.... YET.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: CHRISTMAS CAKE/PIE ACCOMPANIMENTS?
Reply 791
OVER: ICING. Thick - what seems like 3 inches thick - icing on Christmas Cake. Why?! You've ruined a perfectly good fruit cake there, bravo. I realise that icing and marzipan sets apart ordinary fruit cake to Christmas Cake, but why so thick? if you're gonna add it, just do a thin layer, and make it look pretty damn it, not like a wedding cake, add some peaks to that platform! I personally don't think Christmas cake nor Christmas pudding truly needs an addition, especially hot Christmas pudding. It's wonderful plain, though I prefer mine without alcohol, I can appreciate the flavours more, because most places seem to add like half a bottle of the stuff into it, drowning any remote Christmas pudding flavour. I appreciate that custard and cream adds to it, and I wouldn't refuse a custard/cream topped pud, I just don't think it needs it per se.

UNDER: I suppose I can't really say nothing ey... So instead I will say... A GLASS OF MILK. Whatttt? You crazy girl! I hear you cry. But what Xmas dessert accompaniment is truly underrated?! Custard, cream, ice cream, brandy butter/sauce. All highly rated in the festive feast world. So instead I've gone for this, the humble glass of milk. Everyone always goes for after dinner alcohol, but with a heavy Christmas pudding or cake, I find a cold glass of milk is refreshing a pond cleansing. A delightful contrast also, if you have a hot Xmas pudding.

OVER AND UNDER OF CUSTARD USES?
Reply 792
OVERRATED: CUSTARD PIE.

Infinitely used for decades as a hilarious thrown prop, it's also the simplest of tarts/pies that's seen countless iterations. But have you ever EATEN one? It's so stupidly overrated. In fact, set custard in pastry FULL STOP ain't all that.

UNDERRATED: BREAKFAST CEREAL IN CUSTARD.

Specifically Weetabix and Shredded Wheat. Both are incredible. An almost pudding-like breakfast is created by merely substituting milk for custard, and yet, why do more people not do this?! You already eat it with milk, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, sour cream, fruit and more, so custard is a no-brainer. SO UNDERRATED.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: COLAS?
Reply 793
UNDER: Lemon Diet Coke. Dear Gods does anybody remember this? It was zingy without the stupid limey aftertaste of now. It makes me think of my childhood and stealing a sip from my sister.

OVER: Cherry. It is far, far too sweet and just...chemically tasting? Bleh.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: PASTA SAUCES?
Reply 794
OVER: Dolmio's. 1.89 for a jar of pasta sauce is pretty expensive when you think about it, also when they include onions and mushrooms there's hardly any of it inside, and even then you can barely taste them. I admit I do like the tatse of the tomato chunks but still dolmios is MASSIVELY overrated as a brand.

Under: Bargain basement pasta sauce. Short of making it yourself I'm more than content to buy a jar for 20p or so and then add in my own onions. Okay it may not taste as good as dommio's but at least I can ensure lots of onions/mushrooms which I can actually taste in the dish, plus I save over a quid vis a vis dolmios.

OVER and UNDER of FAST FOOD NATIONAL CHAIN BREAKFAST MEALS
Reply 795
I don't know of anywhere that does breakfast other than McDonalds so I guess ill stick with that!

OVER: EGG MCMUFFIN. It's like congealed plasticy egg with two a-little-too-tough bread pieces either side. Yet anyone would think this was like a sacred royalty special or something the way it's ranted and raved about. It's really not that great guys! Have the maple syrup pancakes instead, or the oatmeal. Least they look like what they're supposed to be!

UNDER: BLUEBERRY MUFFIN. Coffee shops sell them as breakfast, yet no one ever gets them in McDonald's for breakfast. Why?! It's like na, blueberry muffins aren't breakfast, yet pop into costa and they're everywhere being enjoyed with a nice cuppa. McDonald muffins are just as good (well, almost) too.

OVER AND UNDER OF MICROWAVE SNACKS THAT ARE SWEET
Reply 796
Blueberry muffins UNDERRATED?! That's like every Starbucks patron's staple breakfast item.

Pah, eating cakes for breakfast! But underrated?!! Dani?!
Original post by dani_1991
I don't know of anywhere that does breakfast other than McDonalds so I guess ill stick with that!

OVER: EGG MCMUFFIN. It's like congealed plasticy egg with two a-little-too-tough bread pieces either side. Yet anyone would think this was like a sacred royalty special or something the way it's ranted and raved about. It's really not that great guys! Have the maple syrup pancakes instead, or the oatmeal. Least they look like what they're supposed to be!

UNDER: BLUEBERRY MUFFIN. Coffee shops sell them as breakfast, yet no one ever gets them in McDonald's for breakfast. Why?! It's like na, blueberry muffins aren't breakfast, yet pop into costa and they're everywhere being enjoyed with a nice cuppa. McDonald muffins are just as good (well, almost) too.

OVER AND UNDER OF MICROWAVE SNACKS THAT ARE SWEET

OVER: Pop Tarts. O, hem, gee..they love these in America therefore they must be SUPER cool. I must pay ridiculous prices and buy them in every flavour. Are they a breakfast item? Are they dessert? Who knows. I don't like the icing on the top and often find them sickly..and they seem ludicrously unhealthy for something so unsubstantial. Plus, if you're going to label yourself as double chocolate..taste of chocolate please.

UNDER: Milk, in a cup, microwave. Simple. Easy. Beautiful. When you heat milk and it gains that natural sweetness. It just feels like a hug in a mug. I need to drink this more.

under and over of christmas trimmings
Reply 798
OVER: Pigs in blanket. I heard this positively mentioned a lot in this forum with regard to xmas but I can't see what's so appeaslling about it. Bacon wrapped around sausages strikes me as a bit too meaty sickly for an appetiser. And with roast turkey inevitably being served why does anyone want to consume yet more meat on xmas day.....?

UNDER: Brussel sprouts. Many people find them repulsive but I think they're a lovely part of xmas day trimmings as much as anything else.

OVER and UNDER of TYPES OF GRAVY
Reply 799
Original post by Fusion
OVER: Pigs in blanket. I heard this positively mentioned a lot in this forum with regard to xmas but I can't see what's so appeaslling about it. Bacon wrapped around sausages strikes me as a bit too meaty sickly for an appetiser. And with roast turkey inevitably being served why does anyone want to consume yet more meat on xmas day.....?

UNDER: Brussel sprouts. Many people find them repulsive but I think they're a lovely part of xmas day trimmings as much as anything else.

OVER and UNDER of TYPES OF GRAVY

just a coincidence you almost exactly copied my last answer then? :P

"OVERRATED: KILTED SAUSAGES.

Or "Pigs in Blankets" if you prefer the American name. Every second post on TSR is championing them, and can you think of a bettter definition of "overrated" than that?! They ARE good. DEADLY good. But they are overrated to BUGGERY.

UNDERRATED: STUFFED SPROUTS.

I actually LOVE sprouts, but people regard them cruelly as some kind of devil spawn. Well, NOBODY can say a bad thing about stuffed sprouts, surely, despite the fact I bet half of you have never heard of this. This underrated gem takes something nobody usually craves ('cept me) and makes it TURBO with garlic and herb cheese inside. Nobody's talking about these.... YET."

Quick Reply

Latest