The Student Room Group

1 MILLION women in hijabs, symbol of solidarity!

Since most of the threads on TSR are 90% negative when Muslims are somehow involved, i'd thought i'd post this.

Interesting things to point out from the article:
Jean Younis won’t be wearing an Easter bonnet at church this Sunday. Instead, the office manager at Bonita Valley Adventist Church in National City, Calif., will don an Islamic headscarf to support the family and friends of Shaima Alawadi, the Iraqi immigrant and mother of five who died March 24, three days after being beaten in her home in El Cajon, California.

She is one of many non-Muslim women to post photos of themselves wearing a headscarf on "One Million Hijabs for Shaima Alawadi," a recently created Facebook Page that had nearly 10,000 likes on Monday (April 2) and hundreds of photos. Others posting on the page have identified themselves as Catholics, Quakers, Mennonites, Jews, Pagans, and atheists.

The hijab has been seen as a mark of modesty, oppression, religious identity, and controversy -- and now it is becoming a universal symbol of solidarity, much as the hoodie has become a sign of support for Trayvon Martin, the unarmed Florida teenager killed by a neighborhood security guard.

Read the full article here: SOURCE

It's amazing how we can put our differences aside and focus on getting justice for our fellow citizens whether it be Trayvon (African-American) or Shaima (Iraqi-American Muslim).

Justice for Trayvon and Shaima!

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a Muslim girl, but I like the hijab. I actually have a lot of respect for girls who wear it, despite the media, despite the racism from facist groups, and it is actually a sign of modesty and part of their community and I like that it makes them feel welcomed and happy to be who they are, exactly how they are. I think people are too quick to judge and generalise when it comes to religion and religious views, because at the end of the day, all it is, is a way of life. And a good one at that. With good morals and decisions and even if you don't believe in God, religion says be healthy, look after your parents, etc. Why is a woman who wears a headscarf and does all these things evil? She isn't. And nor is scape-goating her acceptable.

I genuinely hope it's not banned in any country, and I have a lot of respect for ministers and political leaders who are against the hijab ban. :smile:
Reply 2
While, at the same time, thousands of women are being forcibly veiled in northern Mali. How considerate. I wonder what they think about this "symbol of solidarity". Most likely, their struggle for survival against theocracy far outweighs their interest in the "plight" suffered by Muslim women in the West (who are very often traitors to their sisters in Muslim-majority countries).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Christians are killed for being Christians almost every day in Muslim countries... why on earth are Christians playing up to Muslim's victim mentality by allowing the hijacking of Easter?

Yes, it is terrible that this girl was murdered. But at least she will get justice. 99% of the Christians killed in Sudan, Iraq, Egypt etc. never get justice, and I don't see Muslims making groups about that or not wearing their hijab for a day.

Here's one for Turkey:
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkeys-missionary-killings-overlooked-lawyer.aspx?pageID=238&nID=17783&NewsCatID=339

Here's an article about Boko Haram in Nigeria:
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/45689

Here's one in Iraq:
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=13772

Indeed in Iraq over 70 churches have been raised to the ground, and over 1000 Christians have been murdered since 2003:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-l-esposito/getting-it-right-israel-a_b_1345786.html

Here's one about Syrian Christians being cleansed:
http://www.aina.org/news/20120329133601.htm

So pleeeeeeeeeeeeeassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee stop trying to play the victim card. You are the oppressors, so I will spend Easter Sunday - the biggest day in the Christian calender celebrating Christ and mourning thousands and thousands of Christians instead of caring about the one Muslim who was killed but got justice in the West in a long time.
Reply 4
It's not fair to say that all Muslim women have a choice, though. How can something with such a duality of connotations be represented as a symbol of solidarity? It sort of undermines the point.

And doing it on Easter is just asking for trouble. It's an important date in another religion - I don't see how hijacking it is appropriate or considerate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Suetonius
At the same time that thousands of women are being forcibly veiled in northern Mali. How considerate.

90% of Mali is Muslim, so Muslim girls in Afghanistan, Malaysia, Egypt and the rest of the world are being forced to wear the Hijab.
All this solidarity stuff is so forced and fake. We want justice for everyone. This gimmicky stuff thought up with people wanting to get their names in the papers and on websites doesn't matter one iota.
Wow. These women want to show their compassion for an innocent woman who was brutally murdered and all some of you can do is disregard the gesture as though the poor woman wasnt important!

I guess some people just dont believe a muslim could be a victim in any situation, do they.
Reply 8
Original post by NuckingFut
Wow. These women want to show their compassion for an innocent woman who was brutally murdered and all some of you can do is disregard the gesture as though the poor woman wasnt important!

I guess some people just dont believe a muslim could be a victim in any situation, do they.

What nonsense.
People have a problem with the sensationalism and the controversy.
Reply 9
how about justice for the countless victimsof honour killings, women afghanistan, saudi arabia etc ?
Reply 10
Original post by Suetonius
While, at the same time, thousands of women are being forcibly veiled in northern Mali. How considerate. I wonder what they think about this "symbol of solidarity".

What is the relevance of this? Under the Taliban a beard was compulsory for those who could grow it. Should I feel guilty for having grown one?

Original post by Elipsis
Christians are killed for being Christians almost every day in Muslim countries... why on earth are Christians playing up to Muslim's victim mentality by allowing the hijacking of Easter?

Hijacking? Groups of Christians are, of their own free will, expressing a tenant of their faith: agape. They're simply showing their opposition to religious persecution in response to a recent murder in their region.

Original post by Elipsis
Yes, it is terrible that this girl was murdered. But at least she will get justice. 99% of the Christians killed in Sudan, Iraq, Egypt etc. never get justice, and I don't see Muslims making groups about that or not wearing their hijab for a day.

Well, what happens to people in the countries you have specified above, when they speak out against the government? Nonetheless you have witnessed such an event:

Scenes from Egypt after Al-Qaeda attack showing solidarity with Egyptian Christians

Original post by Elipsis
So pleeeeeeeeeeeeeassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee stop trying to play the victim card. You are the oppressors, so I will spend Easter Sunday - the biggest day in the Christian calender celebrating Christ and mourning thousands and thousands of Christians instead of caring about the one Muslim who was killed but got justice in the West in a long time.

Why can't you mourn the loss of both?

Original post by Elipsis
You are the oppressors

Yes, damn Ak137 for oppressing Christians :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by B-Man.
What is the relevance of this? Under the Taliban a beard was compulsory for those who could grow it. Should I feel guilty for having grown one?

Completely incomparable. The hijab and certain other garments of facial concealment are distinctly and solely Islamic by nature, and - in this case - are being used as a means to invoke Muslim "solidarity" where it really isn't needed. People need to seriously consider the severe distastefulness of donning this garment voluntarily when all across the Middle East and North Africa people are being killed for failing to do the same.
Original post by ak137
x

I can just about understand the 'solidarity' part, they being all women, but why the Hijabs? Is it because they are convinced it is a hate crime? The note which was found suggests it was a hate crime but the police authorities haven't confirmed that. It is just a suggestion at this point.

Have a look at this article.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/iraqi-hate-crime-murder-probe-raises-questions-daughter/story?id=16079093#.T35mMqt8B-Y

Sure, it's biased but at least it is giving the other side of the story. We still don't know much about the case. It could be a family dispute/ honour killing. I am a little suspicious.

Let's not jump to conclusions cause methinks a lot of people might end up looking very silly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by localfox1000
I can just about understand the 'solidarity' part, they being all women, but why the Hijabs? Is it because they are convinced it is a hate crime? The note which was found suggests it was a hate crime but the police authorities have not confirmed that. It is just a suggestion at this point.

Have a look at this article.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/iraqi-hate-crime-murder-probe-raises-questions-daughter/comments?type=story&id=16079093#.T35XXKt8B-Y

Sure, it's biased but at least it is giving the other side of the story. We still don't know much about the case. It could be a family dispute.

Let's not jump to conclusions because methinks a lot of people might end up looking silly.

Eh, don't trust abcnews too much. Not exactly the most honest journalism.

I don't think so. Whatever the police and FBI conclude with doesn't change the underlying intention of this particular FB page. It was definitely motivated by Shaima's death, no doubt, but in the end it's about all hijabi's in the US and over the world who are victims of discrimination and hate. And that is very much real. How can an extra piece of cloth make people feel so intimidated?

I like many things that came out of this FB page, check it out and see for yourself, really. I'm tired of people coming to the conclusion that hijabi's are inferior, oppressed, or no less of a human. Here is an idea?! Maybe instead of making assumptions and huge generalizations, why not speak to a hijabi? Ask her, ask her what's like wearing the hijab, how she feels in it, how others perceive her?

Why not let a hijabi speak for herself instead of making assumptions about how you think she feels? Trust me, most of them would love to speak about their experiences. And what I really like about this page is that it unites not just hijabis, but non-hijabis and many people from different backgrounds. My two cents.
Reply 14
Original post by ak137
Since most of the threads on TSR are 90% negative when Muslims are somehow involved, i'd thought i'd post this.

Interesting things to point out from the article:

Read the full article here: SOURCE

It's amazing how we can put our differences aside and focus on getting justice for our fellow citizens whether it be Trayvon (African-American) or Shaima (Iraqi-American Muslim).

Justice for Trayvon and Shaima!

Very sweet and thoughtful of them, and for a good cause.

However, I cannot see in 1 million years muslim women going without hijab for a murdered western woman.
Reply 15
What a great thread and story. Respect to these non-muslim women who will be wearing the hijab to show their support. To the Islamaphobic ***** out there I wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire!
Original post by ajtiesto
What a great thread and story. Respect to these non-muslim women who will be wearing the hijab to show their support. To the Islamaphobic ***** out there I wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire!

How very moral of you. Did Islam teach you such compassion?
Reply 17
Original post by ajtiesto

I do love your posts, they're hilarious :biggrin:
I'm sure this will help as much as liking the Kony 2012 page and putting up a cartoon character as your profile picture on facebook.
Reply 19
Original post by Chloe xxx
I do love your posts, they're hilarious :biggrin:

The guy killed an innocent women who didn't deserve to die. Oh I forgot you support people like that don't you...your a muslim hater yourself so I'm not surprised by your reaction.

Latest

Trending

Trending