The Student Room Group

M4 (1st June 2012, Fri AM)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by scherzi
Yeah, I found this harder than STEP too. Dropped at least 30 I think, maybe more depending on how irrelevant my crap working was. To the guy who said 55, I'd take that in a heartbeat

I bet you aced this :colone:

55 maximum :wink:
I reckon 60/75 could be 100 ums
Reply 82
Surely this was harder than any of the past papers.
Are we expected to use integrating factor in Q3? I thought this is not in M4 syllabus and none of the past papers have that sort of questions. Glad that I'm doing FP2.
Also the question on relative velocity (Q2) was horrible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
The whole thing was a bloody joke in poor taste. I feel like a total schmuck having done every single past paper as preparation when the exam was totally unlike any other paper ever set... Hardest exam I've ever done, hands down.
seriously whats wrong with them?? the past papers were nothing compared to this! everyone left out 2 to 3 questions.. apparently even M2 was really hard this time, hope they'll make up for it in the remaining modules
(edited 11 years ago)
Resisted motion in a straight line was WTF? d/dx (v^2) I was shocked. I did potential energy (0, 41,4, -41,4 -> angles) damped oscilations (final equation was k^2 - 16sqr(g/a) < 0 ) and that one with boats (3/4h and 6km apart)

Also I did b) in resisted streight line (I calculated x in terms of v^2 and I am pretty sure I was supposed to calculate v^2) ; started 1st question (found one component of velocity after -2/7V) and that was pretty much all I did. I am not even sure I will get 30UMS. I am almost sure I will miss my offer. I am broken. I don't know what should I do know..

Anyone, lets compare results at least!
let's put a petition against edexcel for this screwed up M4 paper

i mean if they are going to give us questions that require so much thinking then they should at least give us more time
Reply 87
So the nite before M4, I had discovered that I know nothing about what I was going to be examined lol
(I have to admit I am really a bastard for revising the exam just one night before the exam :frown: )
(Previously, I found that M1 and M2 are quite easy, and have learnt almost all the details in my physics class. So I would just flip through the books and do some past papers the nite before. And the marks turn out to be quite OK)

BUT WTF is M4 ;'-( !!!
My underestimation to M4 x this boss level paper = Disaster

I don't think I can get more than 20 marks in this paper. I hope I would got the rescue boat question correct * loser*
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Dreamester
Resisted motion in a straight line was WTF? d/dx (v^2) I was shocked. I did potential energy (0, 41,4, -41,4 -> angles) damped oscilations (final equation was k^2 - 16sqr(g/a) < 0 ) and that one with boats (3/4h and 6km apart)

Also I did b) in resisted streight line (I calculated x in terms of v^2 and I am pretty sure I was supposed to calculate v^2) ; started 1st question (found one component of velocity after -2/7V) and that was pretty much all I did. I am not even sure I will get 30UMS. I am almost sure I will miss my offer. I am broken. I don't know what should I do know..

for that d/dx (v^2) question, did you get something in the form of int (1/a^2-x^2) ?
the answer for the d/dx (v^2) question is v^2 = (g/2k)(1 - e^(-4kx/3m))

anyone get that?

I got 0, 41.4, -41.4 for the stability question as well.
Reply 90
Is there actually anyone of you , or anyone you know who did well on that paper?(over 65/75)
Reply 91
Shouldn't your answers for the stability question be given in radians? (Since π/2>θ>-π/2)
Original post by aelaras
Shouldn't your answers for the stability question be given in radians? (Since π/2>θ>-π/2)

oh ****! I hope they don't cut marks for that :s-smilie:
Reply 93
Other than that , did you go well?
Reply 94
That paper took so long for each question! I didn't even have time to do Q2. I bet I got a U... I was so confident about this exam to having got high As and 90+ in previous papers.

Should I just go ahead and start the M4 June 2013 thread? Will have to resit this in year 13. :frown:
I literally spent the first 20minutes trying to find a question that I could answer :/
Damn, I prepared so hard for M4. I guess I'll have to put in more work into the other modules and hope the papers are normal and not ridiculous like yesterday's.
that paper was way too hard...i think im only going to get 15 marks :'(....
Do we get any marks for the starting vector diagram showing the initial positions and velocities etc.?
Can someone tell me how much UMS I can get with 15 marks please?
I never expected to do this badly....
Reply 97
Original post by Dreamester

Hey, I got the same for the potential energy, do you think we'll lose any marks for putting it in degrees? I'm sure the grade boundaries will be stupidly low, best not to worry now I think
Reply 98
Original post by Killerstorm2
that paper was way too hard...i think im only going to get 15 marks :'(....
Do we get any marks for the starting vector diagram showing the initial positions and velocities etc.?
Can someone tell me how much UMS I can get with 15 marks please?
I never expected to do this badly....

Yeah, you can, I've seen you get some for doing them. I just spent the last 5 minutes writing random formulae and drawing lines etc. for the relative motion question :biggrin:
Original post by Zhy
Yeah, you can, I've seen you get some for doing them. I just spent the last 5 minutes writing random formulae and drawing lines etc. for the relative motion question :biggrin:

I wish i wrote down some of the formulae too :/....
I jut drew the diagram and was stuck for next 15 mins not knowing what to do..
Im not even sure if I got the first question right...the speeds were in fraction...
I was hoping a minimum of 50 UMS before the exam..
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending