The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography Unit 1 and 2 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to put 2 hypotheses for our fieldwork, or is one suffice?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 781
Original post by t00 g00d for u
Do we need to put 2 hypotheses for our fieldwork, or is one suffice?

one should be enough, just know 2 just in case though, because they might ask you to state a hypothesis in one question, and in another they might say state your objective and primary data collection, so just know 2 to be on the safe side
Original post by V95
one should be enough, just know 2 just in case though, because they might ask you to state a hypothesis in one question, and in another they might say state your objective and primary data collection, so just know 2 to be on the safe side

Ahh right okay will do, thanks :smile:

Reply 783
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

.. lets hope they dont give us a blank map of the world and make us label every country!
Ooooh today's the day, really hoping this one goes well as i'm really doubting my efforts in geog1. Eeeek nervous :\
Reply 786
Original post by hayleyvictoria
Ooooh today's the day, really hoping this one goes well as i'm really doubting my efforts in geog1. Eeeek nervous :\

dont worry, you'll be fine

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE !!!!! :wink:
Why do they use places with names like Cockermouth
Reply 788
Original post by alittlehelp
Why do they use places with names like Cockermouth

Was unfair, put me off my trail of thought as I was laughing inside ...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 789
they did it on another past paper, that first question and advantages of that color coded rainfall level diagram of part of England were very awkward to answer :confused:
That coloured diagram was a chloropleth map, and you had to state its usefulness e.g enabled easy visual and quick comparisons between areas, could be used by environment agency, in this case, to predict which areas are most likely to flood etc.
The first question make me sigh lol! flippin maps - i included grid references and made up the stuff about the contour lines, v shaped valleys, and meanders.
Reply 791
Hi Guys, didn't think the paper was too bad, looking at some of the past ones with standard deviation etc

First question was ok, I put a running commentary of the river, giving grid references for areas where the channel narrowed or relief changed. As for the chlorolepth/density shading map were you meant to refer to the map to answer why its good/bad? For the good I put you can easily see patterns, anomalies, easy to interpret etc For the bad, well.. not very useful if you're colour blind is it? Time consuming and colours can merge making it difficult to interpret.

Did anyone else put spearmans rank for way of analysing data?
Original post by Bcfc124
Hi Guys, didn't think the paper was too bad, looking at some of the past ones with standard deviation etc

First question was ok, I put a running commentary of the river, giving grid references for areas where the channel narrowed or relief changed. As for the chlorolepth/density shading map were you meant to refer to the map to answer why its good/bad? For the good I put you can easily see patterns, anomalies, easy to interpret etc For the bad, well.. not very useful if you're colour blind is it? Time consuming and colours can merge making it difficult to interpret.

I put spearmans rank :smile:
Blabbed about pos and neg correlations, put the result we got in fieldwork etc

Overall im very happy with that paper! No boring explanations about primary and secondary data, or any pie charts woohoo! :biggrin:
Reply 793
Original post by Bcfc124

yeahh i did spearmans rank and student's T test, do you think i will get penalised for it? cause it said use one technique =/
Reply 794
Original post by Gary
yeahh i did spearmans rank and student's T test, do you think i will get penalised for it? cause it said use one technique =/

nope t test is good because its an add on to spearman's rank. As in you use spearman's ranks value
I thought it was an okay paper but I did the same about the river course. What did anyone put for the sampling question?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 796
How many marks would i lose because i talked about the river going from upper to lower but accidentally thought the lake was the lower course!

My description of channel changes was good but I got the grid references the wrong way round.

is that one or two marks lost?
What did people put about the pattern between discharge and catchment area. I had no clue about it, so I put there was no correlation. Because, when I drew the line of best fit there was no correlation. Would this be wrong?
Reply 798
Original post by Axion
How many marks would i lose because i talked about the river going from upper to lower but accidentally thought the lake was the lower course!

My description of channel changes was good but I got the grid references the wrong way round.

is that one or two marks lost?

The lake was the lower course, hence, the mouth.
Reply 799
Erm, I thought it was positive. Line of best fit is when you have to get as many equal plots on both sides as possible? So there were 13 so 6.5 on each side, that's how I did it.

If you think about it, a river with a high catchment area (drainage density) is liely to have more rainfall/discharge as there are more rivers and tributaries to feed in water.

What did everyone else put?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending