The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joseppea
1)
Type of asexual reproduction. (1 mark)
Why is DNA replicated before division. (2 marks)
Define homologous pair of chromosomes (3 marks)
Location/function of squamous and ciliated epithelium in humans (4 marks)
Define a tissue (2 marks)

2)
State the name of 3 organelles (C,D,E or something). (3 marks)
Example of a type of extracellular protein in the vesicle (1 mark)
Active process involving exocytosis of a protein vesicle. (1 or 2 marks)
Outline the role of Golgi apparatus (2 marks)
2 organelles present that are not in prokaryotes (2 marks)
Organelle that would be present in prokaryotic cytoplasm (1 mark)

3)
What does amplitude represent? (1 mark)
What happens to elastic fibres between A-B. (1 mark)
What happens between B-C (3 + 1 marks)
Breathing rate (2 marks)
What causes residual volume of air in lungs (2 marks)
Tick type of circulatory system in humans/mammals (1 mark)

4)
Explain why haemolysis occurred and why plant cell didn't lyse (4 + 1 marks)
How to prevent RBC from bursting (1 mark).

5)
What does the fluctuation represent? (1 mark)
Describe the pressures compared to the cross-sectional areas using graph and diagrams (3 marks)
Explain why aorta curve fluctuates (2 marks)
Explain why pressure changes from aorta ------> veins (3 or 4 marks)
Explain why pressure decreases from arteries --> capillaries (2 marks)

6)
Most commonly transported sugar and tissue involved (2 marks)

Edit:
Mechanism for oxygen moving into RBC/haemoglobin (1 mark)
How are roots adapted for their function and mechanism (3 marks)

How are sugars actively loaded into phloem (3 marks)
Explain how temperature affects the drips per minutes/flow of sugar in phloem (3 marks).

There are obviously a couple more questions/marks somewhere along the lines, but those are the ones I can remember (and some stolen from AishaTara's list).

love how I get no reps for my list, but you get two :frown: never mind :tongue: how many marks equivalent left to figure out?
if anyone can get hold of the paper from school or get a teacher to go over it, please do and post the answers here. My french teacher went over the paper with us after the exam last year but sciences are like cba.
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
would i get a Max of 2 marks for outlying inspiration correctly?

It's hard to say, I imagine it would go like this:

Exhale between B-C (1 mark)
Mechanism for exhaling, e.g. diaphragm etc. (1 or 2 marks)
Volume decreases due to this etc. (1 mark)
QWC for mentioning key terms (1 mark)

Whereas if you put inhale probably:
Mechanism for inhaling ECF (1 mark)
Doubtful but - ECF for misreading graph/mentioning recoiling elastic fibres (1 mark - possibly, if they're feeling generous)
QWC for key terms (1 mark).

Could still get 2 marks, unless the examiners are being reaaaallllyy mean.
Original post by AishaTara
love how I get no reps for my list, but you get two :frown: never mind :tongue: how many marks equivalent left to figure out?
if anyone can get hold of the paper from school or get a teacher to go over it, please do and post the answers here. My french teacher went over the paper with us after the exam last year but sciences are like cba.

Sorry, I did reference you in it! I'll rep you, should make up for it. :biggrin:
Original post by Folks
Wasn't too bad! Easier than Jan 12 but harder than May 11. Two minutes before entering the exam I looked up the definition for homologous chromosomes, but then completely forgot it.
A lot of people in my year put the first answer as meiosis, I was shocked!

ahh tbh most people remember anything if they quickly cram before going in. My teacher says if u always forget something go over it an hour before the exam, and as soon as you go inthe exam flick through to find a question related to it and do it first.
Woah really thats like gcse stuff as well :/ mitosis
although it was difficult (well personally i thought it was) i think we should try and concentrate on the next exam, rather than worrying about the past :smile:
Original post by Folks
Wasn't too bad! Easier than Jan 12 but harder than May 11. Two minutes before entering the exam I looked up the definition for homologous chromosomes, but then completely forgot it.
A lot of people in my year put the first answer as meiosis, I was shocked!

I put meiosis :L was a bit gutted I did that but nevermind...I remembered the homologous chromosome definition! :smile:
Sorry, I did reference you in it! I'll rep you, should make up for it. :biggrin:

haha I noticed :wink: thank you! :P no dw I'm just being childish :L
I'll ask my teacher tomorrow if she'll go over it with me to 'reassure' me :tongue: and i'll post the answers here if I manage to. I'll try getting a spare paper too if I can and scanning it on here, usually there are spares.
Original post by AishaTara
ahh tbh most people remember anything if they quickly cram before going in. My teacher says if u always forget something go over it an hour before the exam, and as soon as you go inthe exam flick through to find a question related to it and do it first.
Woah really thats like gcse stuff as well :/ mitosis

That's what I do sometimes, similar to with maths, quickly write down all the formulae at the back before starting the questions. :smile:
Original post by Student-Andrew
Why is there residual volume still in the lungs? is it because never a steep enough gradient & dead space?

I wrote that a steep diffusion/conc gradient was formed. Air would move from the high concentration to low, this would be the outside environment to the lungs.
Some air would not move out because air won't go from a low concentration to high.
The conc gradient prevents the remaining air from moving out.

But apparently the answer is simpley because if some air was not in the lungs, the alveoli would collapse
I wrote that a steep diffusion/conc gradient was formed. Air would move from the high concentration to low, this would be the outside environment to the lungs.
Some air would not move out because air won't go from a low concentration to high.

But apparently the answer is simpley because if some air was not in the lungs, the alveoli would collapse

aah alright thanks
could the first answer be binary fission as well

Again, I went with a physics approach :tongue:

The pressure inside the lungs would eventually match atmospheric pressure, so there would be no pressure gradient between them. (Now things i should've added onto my actual answer! Exhalation is a passive process, so relies on there being a pressure gradient).

Though the stuff about surfactant and alveoli collapsing should be valid. :biggrin:
1)
Type of asexual reproduction. (1 mark)
Why is DNA replicated before division. (2 marks)
Define homologous pair of chromosomes (3 marks)
Location/function of squamous and ciliated epithelium in humans (4 marks)
Define a tissue (2 marks)

2)
State the name of 3 organelles (C,D,E or something). (3 marks)
Example of a type of extracellular protein in the vesicle (1 mark)
Active process involving exocytosis of a protein vesicle. (1 or 2 marks)
Outline the role of Golgi apparatus (2 marks)
2 organelles present that are not in prokaryotes (2 marks)
Organelle that would be present in prokaryotic cytoplasm (1 mark)

3)
What does amplitude represent? (1 mark)
What happens to elastic fibres between A-B. (1 mark)
What happens between B-C (3 + 1 marks)
Breathing rate (2 marks)
What causes residual volume of air in lungs (2 marks)
Tick type of circulatory system in humans/mammals (1 mark)

4)
Explain why haemolysis occurred and why plant cell didn't lyse (4 + 1 marks)
How to prevent RBC from bursting (1 mark).

5)
What does the fluctuation represent? (1 mark)
Describe the pressures compared to the cross-sectional areas using graph and diagrams (3 marks)
Explain why aorta curve fluctuates (2 marks)
Explain why pressure changes from aorta ------> veins (3 or 4 marks)
Explain why pressure decreases from arteries --> capillaries (2 marks)

6)
Most commonly transported sugar and tissue involved (2 marks)

Edit:
Mechanism for oxygen moving into RBC/haemoglobin (1 mark)
How are roots adapted for their function and mechanism (3 marks)

How are sugars actively loaded into phloem (3 marks)
Explain how temperature affects the drips per minutes/flow of sugar in phloem (3 marks).

There are obviously a couple more questions/marks somewhere along the lines, but those are the ones I can remember (and some stolen from AishaTara's list).

If you are interested the question on the active process and protein exocytosis (the third line of Q2) was only 1 mark
Reply 1193
I put for the residual volume that if there was no air left in the lungs, they would collapse.. So the residual air keeps them inflated and it's impossible to exhale this out., or well they'd collapse ? Is that right?
Reply 1194
do you think i could have got the mark for saying "naked loop of DNA" for that whats in the cytoplasm of prokaryotes and not in eukaryotes?
Again, I went with a physics approach :tongue:

The pressure inside the lungs would eventually match atmospheric pressure, so there would be no pressure gradient between them. (Now things i should've added onto my actual answer! Exhalation is a passive process, so relies on there being a pressure gradient).

Though the stuff about surfactant and alveoli collapsing should be valid. :biggrin:

Hi, for the question about identifying 2 eukaryotic organelles that aren't present in prokaryotes, did the question want them from the diagram provided or organelles that aren't in the diagram?
Original post by scl95
I put for the residual volume that if there was no air left in the lungs, they would collapse.. So the residual air keeps them inflated and it's impossible to exhale this out., or well they'd collapse ? Is that right?

i think so, i should have wrote that LOL
Reply 1197
Original post by mathsclown
Hi, for the question about identifying 2 eukaryotic organelles that aren't present in prokaryotes, did the question want them from the diagram provided or organelles that aren't in the diagram?

it was from the diagram
Original post by Aa234
it was from the diagram

What do you think the grade boundaries will be? 41 for an A?

Latest

Trending

Trending